3rd Brake Light Replacement

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
One of my biggest grievances with this car so far is with the sorry excuse for a 3rd brake light. I saw another 2016 Civic driving at night and thought something was wrong with the brake light until I got home and looked at mine. It's a single somewhat dim light in a very poorly built reflector housing. Even on the cheapest Toyotas and the like, it's a more substantial and evenly lit display.

I'm looking for suggestions or ideas on how to replace the bulb or entire assembly. I don't care about making this an LED necessarily, I would just like something brighter and easier to see for those driving behind me.

Has anyone looked in to fitting a LED strip, brighter bulb, or upgraded reflector / housing from another Honda car?
Sponsored

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I believe 2007 Civic Coupe EX and up models had an LED brakelight. The housing for the 3rd brake light are exactly the same from the 7th to 10th gen Sedans. However, it install it, the whole rear deck has to be torn apart and retrofitted. Its not like replacing a bulb.

OP
OP

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I believe 2007 Civic Coupe EX and up models had an LED brakelight. The housing for the 3rd brake light are exactly the same from the 7th to 10th gen Sedans. However, it install it, the whole rear deck has to be torn apart and retrofitted. Its not like replacing a bulb.
Removing the deck lid doesn't seem overly involved. My current idea is something along the lines of replacing the single bulb with a string of LED's or the like. I was hoping that a nicer assembly from another Honda would be the same dimensions and be able to just swap in, but after some investigating, it doesn't look like that's the case.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I meant that there is a replacement housing for an OEM LED strip. It is the same dimension that you can swap in but it involves taking out the rear deck first.

If you'd like an red lens, you'd get the one from the Civic EX Coupe said above. If you want a clear lens, pull the trigger on the 3rd brakelight from the 12-15 Civic Hybrid.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Yes, it's plug and play and the housing has been like that shape since the 7th gen civic

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
Yes, it's plug and play and the housing has been like that shape since the 7th gen civic
Thank you, that was very helpful. Now I gotta figure out how to take the rear deck apart for the install, lol.

nurvcom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CIVIC TOURING 1.5L TURBO CVT 4DR // 2001 IS300 2JZ 3.0L // 2000 F250 CCSB 7.3L
Country flag
I know my next mod going to be :)

MarkP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hope someone already installed this with an OEM 3rd brake light from 2014 Civic Hybrid as posted by Newflyer3. I got a screenshot of the rear deck from 2016 Civic and this is the 3rd brake light looks like.

Honda Civic 10th gen 3rd Brake Light Replacement Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 8.23.50 AM

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I checked the electrical connector with my coworkers 2010 Civic Hybrid and its the same.

The incandescent 3rd brake light housing used on our cars is the same right down to the 7th gen civic. So knowing that this fits in a 2014 gas civic, the architecture shouldnt be different and the hybrid brake light should work.

MarkP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
It's a good mod to do but I'm not going to do it yet until my original bulb shits the bed. Then maybe it's an excuse to get me to yank out the rear deck and all that hassle.

However, there's something appealing knowing that if my incandescent CHMSL dies, I can replace it with a $2 bulb rather than to replace the whole part. Chances, are, people in public driving behind you aren't going to know or care if it's LED or not and if the LED assembly breaks, it's $100 and the hassle of tearing out the deck instead of a $2 bulb swap.

mhwkr01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic LX sedan ASM, 2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan BNP
It's a good mod to do but I'm not going to do it yet until my original bulb shits the bed. Then maybe it's an excuse to get me to yank out the rear deck and all that hassle.

However, there's something appealing knowing that if my incandescent CHMSL dies, I can replace it with a $2 bulb rather than to replace the whole part. Chances, are, people in public driving behind you aren't going to know or care if it's LED or not and if the LED assembly breaks, it's $100 and the hassle of tearing out the deck instead of a $2 bulb swap.

Kind of jumping in late in the discussion but I've been wondering the same thing for years. I saw what you saw about the Civic hybrids CMHBL housing being identical to our normal incandescent bulb's. The only problem is trying to do the swap and i think the rear deck would have to come out if it were to be done unfortunately.
Sponsored