First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Hello,

I use +3PSI base map calibration from Flashpro with Torque limiter changes in Flashpro. I always use 98 RON (approx. 94 octane) gas.

I did a 1 hour 17 minutes datalog and noticed actual boost could spike up to 21 PSI.

I have datalog from this run but the file size is huge so I could only include the screenshot of the spike occurrence below:
Honda Civic 10th gen +3PSI Base Map - Actual Boost Up to 21 PSI Plus-3-PSI-Actual-Plus-6

I made an adjustment to the torque increasing from 220 to 230 nm starting 500 RPM up to 3000 RPM, increase 3500 RPM to 240, and 245 for the rest of RPM.

I did a few minutes datalog and found the highest boost was 1.5 bar, which is close to 22 PSI.

Attached is the datalog and calibration. The only thing I changed from the base map is the torque level.

Attachments

Nigel_FC1_DK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T
Country flag
Hi Arnoldo. You are running a +3psi base map that targets 1,33Bar of boost. You then tell the car you want more Torque across the entire rev-band. And on top of that you want "optimized" boost.

The car now tries to meet your demand, and increase the boost to do so.

The 1,5 bar you are seeing is the pressure needed to hit the Torque demanded from you.

The optimized boost function tires to make the turbo spool up faster : so instead of the map 0,8 bar it goes to 1.5 bar. At 2200 RPM according to your picture. (not sure if it works as a scramble function)

You have told the car it is ok to use 1,5 bar so it tries to do it as fast as possible.

I would not push that amount of boost into the engine at that low rpm. Try and disable the optimized boost function.

I tried to look at the files, but can not find it in the file. Looks like city traffic or something No rpm above 2100 with 7,0psi

OP
OP
arnoldo

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hi Arnoldo. You are running a +3psi base map that targets 1,33Bar of boost. You then tell the car you want more Torque across the entire rev-band. And on top of that you want "optimized" boost.

The car now tries to meet your demand, and increase the boost to do so.

The 1,5 bar you are seeing is the pressure needed to hit the Torque demanded from you.

The optimized boost function tires to make the turbo spool up faster : so instead of the map 0,8 bar it goes to 1.5 bar. At 2200 RPM according to your picture. (not sure if it works as a scramble function)

You have told the car it is ok to use 1,5 bar so it tries to do it as fast as possible.

I would not push that amount of boost into the engine at that low rpm. Try and disable the optimized boost function.

I tried to look at the files, but can not find it in the file. Looks like city traffic or something No rpm above 2100 with 7,0psi
Hi Nigel. Thanks for the insight. I did enable optimized boost but I didn't have scramble mode as option. I will try disabling the optimized boost option and run another datalog.

I wish the team at Hondata gave explanation and guide me to disable the optimized boost option. I've been running with this option for a little over 1 week. I hope this won't cause any damage yet at this point.

I will share the result once I can do the datalog.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, unfortunately the datalog was absolutely useless. You never really pressed the throttle more than 25% and you were often at or under 25 mph. When you datalog, you need to include some "normal" driving and some wide open throttle pulls.

Btw, Nigel gave you some great advice, I think.

Last edited:
OP
OP
arnoldo

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, unfortunately the datalog was absolutely useless. You never really pressed the throttle more than 25% and you were often at or under 25 mph. When you datalog, you need to include some "normal" driving and some wide open throttle pulls.

Btw, Nigel gave you some great advice, I think.
Traffic is the issue. We encounter traffic everyday, even during weekend.

The only time anyone in my city could hit throttle more than 25% is driving the car between 01:00 and 5:00 AM. I could go to my tuner for a dyno run in a regular day but we just had great flood in my city. My area was flooded about 50 cm. Luckily, my garage is high enough. The car was ok although water came through my house.

I just make a new calibration and turn off the optimized turbo modification. Hopefully, this will fix the issue. I'm lowering the torque value from 245 to 240 Nm. I know I will only be getting about 185 horsepower for now. I will only make adjustment once I'm sure the boost is under control and won't overboost to 20 plus PSI. I did a quick run today and I saw the boost touched 2 bar. :(

I hope I will not be 1 of the Civic in my country with engine blown due to overboost. There are 3 tuned Civics with blown engine (connecting rod damage) in my country.

Anyway, I created new calibration with Hondata +3 PSI basemap with only torque value change, and I turn off Optimized Turbo response in modification.

Honda Civic 10th gen +3PSI Base Map - Actual Boost Up to 21 PSI 3-PSI-New-Calibration

Link to the image in case the hyperlink doesn't work: https://ibb.co/8n3b5p1

OP
OP
arnoldo

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I took screenshot from the datalog when the boost spike up to 1.5 bar.
Honda Civic 10th gen +3PSI Base Map - Actual Boost Up to 21 PSI 3-PSI-1-5-Bar

I found a user sharing 6 PSI datalog from Hondata forum and the boost might go over 2 bar.
Honda Civic 10th gen +3PSI Base Map - Actual Boost Up to 21 PSI 6-PSI-Overboost-2-1-Bar

I was experimenting today with very conservative torque value, & choose only throttle response improvement from modification. The overboost was only went up to 1.5 bar
Honda Civic 10th gen +3PSI Base Map - Actual Boost Up to 21 PSI 3-PSI-1-5-Bar-No-Turbo-optimized

Should I copy the column from 0.592 PA column to 1.000 PA column? I'm afraid wastegate opening will require higher boost as RPM increase when I'm doing open throttle.

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
since this is absolute pressure on the intake, 1.5bar is 0.5bar above 1bar (atmospheric pressure) and is perfectly normal for 2000rpm. Always subtract 1 from your MAP sensor input to find the turbo pressure.

OP
OP
arnoldo

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
since this is absolute pressure on the intake, 1.5bar is 0.5bar above 1bar (atmospheric pressure) and is perfectly normal for 2000rpm. Always subtract 1 from your MAP sensor input to find the turbo pressure.
Thank you! This is logical. Thus, psi should be subtract with 14.7 to get the actual boost pressure. This means I could start tweaking the AFM value to optimize partial throttle fuel.

salik990

First Name
Salik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic 1.5T, 15' Audi A3 1.8T, Toyota Hilux Revo 2017
Country flag
i have also change the table of torque limit on 6+ map, i have kept the highest to 260nm and i see the highest boost 19psi but sometime it spike to 20psi during shifting. Is that normal? Btw i have enabled the boost optimized for better turbo response and its running better than before. Also i ticked the eco button boost (hondata mode) enabled, does that mean its running on stock oem boost??

OP
OP
arnoldo

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i have also change the table of torque limit on 6+ map, i have kept the highest to 260nm and i see the highest boost 19psi but sometime it spike to 20psi during shifting. Is that normal? Btw i have enabled the boost optimized for better turbo response and its running better than before. Also i ticked the eco button boost (hondata mode) enabled, does that mean its running on stock oem boost??
Maximum boost of +6 PSI should be around 20 PSI so this is normal. In regards to ECO button boost (Hondata mode) question, I think Hondata Mode will only take effect when you activate ECO button. I think Hondata Mode is not a totally stock setting but rather torque limit in stock value. CMIIW.

salik990

First Name
Salik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic 1.5T, 15' Audi A3 1.8T, Toyota Hilux Revo 2017
Country flag
Maximum boost of +6 PSI should be around 20 PSI so this is normal. In regards to ECO button boost (Hondata mode) question, I think Hondata Mode will only take effect when you activate ECO button. I think Hondata Mode is not a totally stock setting but rather torque limit in stock value. CMIIW.
usually i drive on ECO ON and sometime i do see boost going upto 16-17psi, i thought it would be same as dual starter map just like in ktuner.
Sponsored