dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a built motor in my Si or R with stronger blocks. I was at the edge of ordering a built motor myself. I followed this Si build from this youtuber, I think it's PhongVLG. He knew exactly what he was doing with all the parts, and he eventually went for a built engine. Then one day I saw he posted a video that his car just all of a sudden went into limp mode with engine light on, and he couldn't figure out what happened. I loved his build, and he had close to 360whp i think, not even 400 yet, and those kind of stuff happen

I'm not trying to scare anyone. I told myself, if this is my only ride, I would be worried all the time that something like this happen. The youtubers do it as part of their lives, I don't. If you know what you are doing, and you have a spare car, by all means do it. As another car guy, i do wish anyone does it gets a nice build he loves. For my work and schedule, i just can't take the risk right now.
I wouldn't use him as a benchmark for whats reliable or not for the Si platform. He was running a full e85 tune when he started having all his engine troubles. When its been proven by reputable tuners that the fuel system cannot handle that while maintaining safe AFRs. Built motor or not, its not gonna change what the fuel system can do.
Sponsored

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, 2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I wouldn't use him as a benchmark for whats reliable or not for the Si platform. He was running a full e85 tune when he started having all his engine troubles. When its been proven by reputable tuners that the fuel system cannot handle that while maintaining safe AFRs. Built motor or not, its not gonna change what the fuel system can do.
i don't remember the long list of things he did. But, if this is true, I'm surprised after all the things have been done, he didn't consider upgrading the fuel system.

I see you have done a lot to your Si, almost everything except a fully built engine. Out of curiosity, how much whp you have now?

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
i don't remember the long list of things he did. But, if this is true, I'm surprised after all the things have been done, he didn't consider upgrading the fuel system.

I see you have done a lot to your Si, almost everything except a fully built engine. Out of curiosity, how much whp you have now?
About 345whp on E30

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a built motor in my Si or R with stronger blocks. I was at the edge of ordering a built motor myself. I followed this Si build from this youtuber, I think it's PhongVLG. He knew exactly what he was doing with all the parts, and he eventually went for a built engine. Then one day I saw he posted a video that his car just all of a sudden went into limp mode with engine light on, and he couldn't figure out what happened. I loved his build, and he had close to 360whp i think, not even 400 yet, and those kind of stuff happen

I'm not trying to scare anyone. I told myself, if this is my only ride, I would be worried all the time that something like this happen. The youtubers do it as part of their lives, I don't. If you know what you are doing, and you have a spare car, by all means do it. As another car guy, i do wish anyone does it gets a nice build he loves. For my work and schedule, i just can't take the risk right now.
you don't need a stronger block yet but you do need stronger internals.
he did not build or tuned it himself but he does know some stuff though & there were some elements of abuse.
a built engine does not mean it would not have issues.
it will be difficult to get pass 350whp to begin with not only insufficient fuel. there will be insufficient boost too due to limitations.
my 2 cents worth, do more research from various builds don't just rely on a single project/build.
good luck with your adventures.

Reactions: SiR

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Getting over 350hp is a pain the the A$@!

You run out of fuel at 350hp and reliability tanks.

Stock ecu is also limited to 32.7psi when running the EWG for boost control. You would need to run a manual boost controller, like the PRL V1 kit.

There are alot of reasons why those who shoot for big power on this platform end up with a motec ECU.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

Stock ecu is also limited to 32.7psi when running the EWG for boost control. You would need to run a manual boost controller, like the PRL V1 kit.

There are alot of reasons why those who shoot for big power on this platform end up with a motec ECU.
So even with a 4 bar MAP sensor (43.5 PSI boost max) you can't pass 32.7 psi? Didn't know that.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
So even with a 4 bar MAP sensor (43.5 PSI boost max) you can't pass 32.7 psi? Didn't know that.
Yup. You currently need a manual boost controller, bypassing the ECU control. If you want more. The issue seems to be in the software, so a tuning solution should be possible. There just isn't an ETA on when that might be.

After that. the weakness of the factory EWG will show its face. for thoes running a PRL v2 turbo kit you also have another issue. A stock garrett turbo flapper and not the best leverage with the EWG. You would need to modify the kit to give it more leverage, see below.
Honda Civic 10th gen 370-400 WHP Mods needed? Screenshot_20210123-150925_Messenger

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
JUST BUY A TYPE R BRO AND YOU'LL BE GOOD
Lol, that's what eventually I did.... to save the pain in the arse..... But this being said, I have built tons of RC car models in the past, I know the process of building something is super fun, and you can't buy with $. Doing the research, and finding all the right stuff to build the Si all the way up to 350 can feel super rewarding. I'm just too lazy nowadays, and don't have a spare car.

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

I know right. this is why sometimes I see a new face comes into the forum and just straight ask for 400hp for his Si. I'm like "Ok... another one..."

I go in to state my honest opinion about the difficulties and reliability issues, but get a tons of negativities, saying that I have no idea how good the honda tunability is, and how capable the new CVT is.... on and on. I just gave up

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m in Canada so parts are more expensive. I did a cost analysis and it’s roughly the same price for me to build my own short block as it is to buy the one from Twostep. Getting from Twostep means I get the block machined and assembled from a reputable company, CSS. But if I build my own I get to take my time and have the pleasure of learning and the experience. I am on the fence. But then again closing the deck isn’t absolutely necessary, nor is changing pistons or valve springs and retainers. It’s really our rods that are the weak spot (or a bad tune) to be reliable at the horse power we can get that is maxed out by our fueling system. Also head lift and blown gaskets is apparent for those running flex fuel. But having a built engine with the potential for more is just really cool and why not while your in there. I enjoy the mechanics and modifications of the car as much as the driving. I would never modify a Type R if I had one for a variety of reasons but I’ll keep the conversation on topic in the Si section.

Last edited:

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I’m in Canada so parts are more expensive. I did a cost analysis and it’s roughly the same price for me to build my own short block as it is to buy the one from Twostep. Getting from Twostep means I get the block machined and assembled from a reputable company, CCS. But if I build my own I get to take my time and have the pleasure of learning and the experience. I am on the fence. But then again closing the deck isn’t absolutely necessary, nor is changing pistons or valve springs and retainers. It’s really our rods that are the weak spot (or a bad tune) to be reliable at the horse power we can get that is maxed out by our fueling system. Also head lift and blown gaskets is apparent for those running flex fuel. But having a built engine with the potential for more is just really cool and why not while your in there. I enjoy the mechanics and modifications of the car as much as the driving. I would never modify a Type R if I had one for a variety of reasons but I’ll keep the conversation on topic in the Si section.
I definitely get the appeal of doing it yourself. As a project car I'd be 100% in with you but for my daily I wouldn't take the risk of building the block myself. Getting all the parts is one thing but getting it balanced is another cost, and assembling right is the lynch pin. I have no plans on getting a built motor but if I had to I would go for a salvage L15B7 first, and the TSP block second.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
So minimum we're talking here if someone wants 400hp.

Rods, pistons, map headbolts.
Recommend, upgraded oil gear.

Turbo kit, one with a manual boost controller. Like the PRL v1. Gtx2860r minimum, gtx2867r Recommend.

The usual bolt ons, intake, exhaust, flex fuel, 4 bar sensors, ect.

Fuel. Could be meth injection or a proper system

Clutch

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
So minimum we're talking here if someone wants 400hp.

Rods, pistons, map headbolts.
Recommend, upgraded oil gear.

Turbo kit, one with a manual boost controller. Like the PRL v1. Gtx2860r minimum, gtx2867r Recommend.

The usual bolt ons, intake, exhaust, flex fuel, 4 bar sensors, ect.

Fuel. Could be meth injection or a proper system

Clutch
that is if the ecu supports certain stuffs :p
350whp is definitely doable, passing the 350 mark heading to 400 whp will be a big challenge.
how's your ride doing atm ? no updates on your thread. hope you;ve got your stuff settled, waiting for the good news.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
that is if the ecu supports certain stuffs :p
350whp is definitely doable, passing the 350 mark heading to 400 whp will be a big challenge.
how's your ride doing atm ? no updates on your thread. hope you;ve got your stuff settled, waiting for the good news.
The ECU supports, sort of lol. You just can't go over 32 psi with the factory EWG controlling your boost. Gotta go to manual controller.

It's doing good! I'm just waiting till it's warm to throw it on the dyno. I may or may not slap a gtx2867r in with the tax return. But it's ready for big power non the less.

4th gear makes a very high pitch wine thats hard to hear atm. But I'm just going to ignore that for now ?

I'll be making a new thread and updating the two old ones, linking it to the new one. Right now I'll be happy with low 400s for hp.
Sponsored