First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes JE Pistons. I went with 73.5mm bore to allow the machine shop room to align bore and hone. I also picked up the oil pump gear and the Hayabusa ARP studs and a set of washers.
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yes JE Pistons. I went with 73.5mm bore to allow the machine shop room to align bore and hone. I also picked up the oil pump gear and the Hayabusa ARP studs and a set of washers.
Cool cool. Final question, why this route over the built TSP block and re-use your existing head?

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The TSP block is the best value and you know itā€™s done and assembled by CSS a highly reputable company. If anyone really needed a block I would suggest to get that block.

The reason I didnā€™t was purely because building an engine was something I have always wanted to do, to push my knowledge and skills. I always envisioned rebuilding a B18c and dropping it in 96 HB I have kickin around but decided to go this route instead. This route will be less expensive overall and gives me a similar experience. Im also not constrained by time as my car runs fine for now.

In the end likely building it myself will be the same price as the TSP, but my block wonā€™t be built and machined by the infamous CSS. I do have a local machine shop though that can do the cylinder supports just itā€™s not the famous one.

There is no savings building on my own, just a life experience to be had.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The TSP block is the best value and you know itā€™s done and assembled by CSS a highly reputable company. If anyone really needed a block I would suggest to get that block.

The reason I didnā€™t was purely because building an engine was something I have always wanted to do, to push my knowledge and skills. I always envisioned rebuilding a B18c and dropping it in 96 HB I have kickin around but decided to go this route instead. This route will be less expensive overall and gives me a similar experience. Im also not constrained by time as my car runs fine for now.

In the end likely building it myself will be the same price as the TSP, but my block wonā€™t be built and machined by the infamous CSS. I do have a local machine shop though that can do the cylinder supports just itā€™s not the famous one.

There is no savings building on my own, just a life experience to be had.
I totally hear you. If you haven't seen, I just lost my L15BA yesterday, hence all the questions. We are likely salvaging an L15B7 and I'm just deciding how much is worth building out now before it goes back into the car.

The TSP block looks amazing but I don't need 600 hp, can't wait 8 weeks for a motor, and would still have to source an L15B7 head assembly.