30k and still going strong + 30k service experience ?

dj2819

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It has been 30k beautiful miles with my '19 Sport Touring SGP. I had a lot of great trips, moments and experiences over the past 30k/2 years of ownership. Smooth on the highway, efficient in the city. Beautiful color that always get compliments from strangers.

There had been some hiccups; some a**hole who sideswiped my parked car resulting in a new fender and bumper...; a weird squeak that is only audible from inside when the AC is running (? its not a condenser issue but its been happening since the car was new); both side marker lights burning out and had to be replaced ?‍♂.

On the note of servicing, I never had any major issues to be serviced. I only had my dealership perform oil changes, rotations and install the lighting kit and splash guards for me. This service needed a few items:
  • Oil Change
  • Rotation
  • Brake fluid flush
  • CVT fluid flush
  • Alignment
  • The 2nd side marker that burnt out... pretty weird that both markers burnt out over the course of 2 years
While the work done was correctly my invoice included some weird quirks that didn't make sense to me and kind of makes me loose trust in the dealership. Note this is the first car I ever had routinely serviced by a dealership.

In order of minor -> ?
  1. Charging for the side marker. They only charged $4.40 for the bulb which I don't mind but the drivers side was replaced under warranty.
  2. Oil change was done with Mobil 1. The only reason I took it to Honda was for their oem fluids and parts. I always saw Mobil 1 on the invoice before but I thought it was because I still had the free oil changes. I read other dealerships use non-Honda engine oil but I still found it a bit weird.
    Honda Civic 10th gen 30k and still going strong + 30k service experience ? 1635039527666
  3. Brake fluid flush was done with "JB products". I googled it and it seems like they are referring to a brand named Justice Brothers. Still weird that the fluid isn't Honda but I read that it is normal for engine, brake oil to be non-oem.
    Honda Civic 10th gen 30k and still going strong + 30k service experience ? 1635039545137
  4. Now big one... On the website a transmission fluid change is $170. The service advisor also told me it was $170. However the invoice states that they charged me $212.50. And when I look at the parts, there is a line item for Justice Brothers CVT conditioner. I did not ask for this and it cost $37.95. I found this very sketchy.
    Honda Civic 10th gen 30k and still going strong + 30k service experience ? 1635039554695
ServiceWebsiteActual
Oil change$40$40
Brake Fluid$170$151.65
CVT Service$170$212.50*
Rotation$40$40
Alignment$150$150
Bulb-$4.40

Does anyone else have experience with their dealership using non-Honda fluids and adding on products? Also the pricing was off from what the website had.
I did not complain because the cost was about $30 over what I estimated given the pricing online. However next service I will be extra careful to read the invoice and ask about the different brand fluids being used.

Last edited:

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Sometimes mechanics will get a "kickback" from venders like Justice Brothers.

When I worked in a Honda service dept, the vendors would come and push their product sales to the mechanic. If you "sold" the product to the customer, you kept the cap from the bottle and the vendor would give you cash for each product sold (they verified sales by the number of caps you had).

Not sure if that's what's happening here...but seems likely.

OP
OP
dj2819

dj2819

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do not FLUSH the CVT. Just replace the fluid.
Called it the wrong thing, it was called a transmission service not flush. I am guessing the fluid was replaced and not flushed.

OP
OP
dj2819

dj2819

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sometimes mechanics will get a "kickback" from venders like Justice Brothers.

When I worked in a Honda service dept, the vendors would come and push their product sales to the mechanic. If you "sold" the product to the customer, you kept the cap from the bottle and the vendor would give you cash for each product sold (they verified sales by the number of caps you had).

Not sure if that's what's happening here...but seems likely.
That would make sense if someone told me about it. They just sneaked it in which I did not appreciate. Oh well I wasn’t surprised that they would do that.
Sponsored