Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SGP Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
I only need an intercooler and frontpipe to be FBO and i was never really planning on getting a frontpipe anyways, should I make an upgraded intercooler kit my next upgrade and wait a while for the bigger turbo?(i’ve mostly been looking at the w1) and @Ap1 George has ur friend with the cvt faced any issues with pushing that amount
He actually locked up his CVT and had to replace it. The mechanic told him that with his power level he should have shorter CVT fluid intervals instead of what the Honda manual says. Ohh an he also installed an external CVT fluid cooler after that happened.
Sponsored

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ap1, great point about the CVT's straight line acceleration (especially from a roll). Sal (a member here) has a J. Vega tuned CVT. I'm not 100% sure on his power numbers but he's under 300 WHP. Yet look at what his car is capable of (W1 turbo/FBO):

I think I've seen this one. Was it on flex fuel too? It sucks how it started to slow down after a few runs probably from CVT heating up

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I think I've seen this one. Was it on flex fuel too? It sucks how it started to slow down after a few runs probably from CVT heating up
He runs flex fuel (94 octane, 30% E85). And yeah, I think his next mod should be a CVT cooler.

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah the intercooler will help with repeated pulls and delay heat soak, and may even offer a slight bump of HP (or allow you to run a few psi less and see similar HP thanks to cooler air). CVT cooler might also help with longevity of the CVT if you do push more power. All a frontpipe will do is add some extra character to the sound, and combined with a full exhaust system may offer slight HP increase.

OP
OP
fk7mio

fk7mio

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Yeah the intercooler will help with repeated pulls and delay heat soak, and may even offer a slight bump of HP (or allow you to run a few psi less and see similar HP thanks to cooler air). CVT cooler might also help with longevity of the CVT if you do push more power. All a frontpipe will do is add some extra character to the sound, and combined with a full exhaust system may offer slight HP increase.
I’ve honestly never heard of cvt cooler lol but that’s definitely going on the list now but this is one, right?
https://www.twostepperformance.com/...M61vl62Ihtqw4nhf-01BVi4IuQoMajABoCCM0QAvD_BwE

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think he wanted a car with an automatic transmission, Type R has no AT, means it's the wrong car
True, but in terms of performance there's a lot better he could own, and for cheaper than he paid for his Civic. Though, I went through a similar dilemma when purchasing my car. I could've easily bought a 2010s Mustang GT or Camaro SS (manual even), Focus ST, Fusion Sport, Mazdaspeed3, honestly a ton of different cars ranging from 4bangers to v8s, manual or true ATs, but between the looks, excellent fuel economy, insurance, and the fact there is a strong aftermarket community for our Civics regardless of MT or CVT, many of us decided on a 10th Gen Civic.

He just needs to proceed with caution, as beyond this point stuff can break very quickly, without warning. He needs to go through a professional tuner who knows how to tune for safety of the CVT. It'll be an exciting build if it works out, and hopefully he'll keep us posted on everything.

OP
OP
fk7mio

fk7mio

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
He just needs to proceed with caution, as beyond this point stuff can break very quickly, without warning. He needs to go through a professional tuner who knows how to tune for safety of the CVT. It'll be an exciting build if it works out, and hopefully he'll keep us posted on everything.
im being as cautious as i can while still having as much fun with it as i can, im going to drob at imw for tuning. i’ve heard he’s very reliable, protects cvts, and just good at what he does. i’ll keep y’all posted but for right now i’m focusing on an ic and then i’ll get to more power mods

Smellycat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
I feel like the safe limits for a fk7 would be a
-cai
-fmic
-flex fuel?????
-bigger turbo but tq and hp limited, bigger turbo for a healthier flow

Nazeem

Banned
Banned
First Name
Nazeem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
hello! i have a 2018 civic 1.5t hatch cvt with prl catless downpipe, prl race cai, borla catback exhaust, and ktuner v1.2 with phearable 1.5 tune. i want around 300 or maybe even a little over 300whp and according to phearable im making around 220 right now . im only working a part time job and still in school so i can only afford parts every so often so i just wanted to hear some people’s suggestions and opinions on what i should do next to being closer to that 300whp mark
It
hello! i have a 2018 civic 1.5t hatch cvt with prl catless downpipe, prl race cai, borla catback exhaust, and ktuner v1.2 with phearable 1.5 tune. i want around 300 or maybe even a little over 300whp and according to phearable im making around 220 right now . im only working a part time job and still in school so i can only afford parts every so often so i just wanted to hear some people’s suggestions and opinions on what i should do next to being closer to that 300whp mark
Unfortunately for u, u have a hatchback , the honda civic touring SEDAN has stronger rods and pistons than the honda sport touring hatchback from what I've been told and reading, and It might be true because all the guys whose pushing 300whp or more and haven't blown up yet are SEDAN,s , where as same power on hatchback seems to have a higher rate of problems.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Unfortunately for u, u have a hatchback , the honda civic touring SEDAN has stronger rods and pistons than the honda sport touring hatchback from what I've been told and reading, and It might be true because all the guys whose pushing 300whp or more and haven't blown up yet are SEDAN,s , where as same power on hatchback seems to have a higher rate of problems.
You might be thinking that it is the Si that has stronger rods since the touring sedan also has the same engine as what the hatchback uses.

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Last edited:

Nazeem

Banned
Banned
First Name
Nazeem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
You might be thinking that it is the Si that has stronger rods since the touring sedan also has the same engine as what the hatchback uses.
I've heard from a mechanic that the touring SEDAN have the exact same rod's as the si, however I can't confirm 100% if that true, but it seems like it is because they're are guys from Pakistan and Thailand and Brazil witj the sedan touring running around with 310whp and 314wtq and they're fine
Sponsored