30% oil life with 3,000 miles

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Which engine is it? The Turbo's service interval is really long.

Perhaps the 2.0L has the shorter service interval? My 9th gen was like every 3000 miles or something like that.
Not sure why... My 8th gen was about 10k miles..........................................
Sponsored

FrankR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Thanks for posting. I've noticed quite a range of mileage to % figures. To compare and contrast with others, I am at 2,800 in my Civic purchased November 2016 and just went to 80%. I was beginning to worry if perhaps I was stuck on 90%.

My driving conditions are flat well maintained roads, single driver, 100 miles a day, Monday through Friday (I do telecommute a few days a month) on highway at 65 - 75 MPH. Yes...I am "that driver" in the right lane that everyone passes as I live south of Phoenix and the average speed on the I-10 when I drive into work at 3 AM in the morning is probably 75+ given that everyone passes me. My average MPG is 41.9 and of the 500 miles a week I drive, maybe 50 are non-highway miles.

I am scheduled to get my oil changed at the dealership next month. I plan to go the DIY route as I will be using the trip to the dealer to get my oil changed to also purchase filters and the crushable washer that I hear others say is important to make sure to replace.

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
Well, first off, enough with the "looking at" the oil crap. This isn't 1970. Colors of fluids mean absolutely nothing nor how dirty it is. The only reason to not follow the MM to the letter is because of general paranoia or because of analysis results from Blackstone or some other lab.

In terms of the original question, my question would be this. Do you idle long periods of time? I could see a 4,000 mile interval if you spend an hour every day in heavy traffic while only travelling 5-10 miles. That or if you drive extremely low miles every day and its more of a time thing.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
The MM is based on many factors: mileage, time, driving style, highway vs city, operating temperature, idling, etc. The recommendation from Honda is to change it at 15% or less, or after 1 year, whichever comes first. Sounds like it's possible for the MM to not reach 15%, even with time as a factor, especially if it sits a lot. Seems like a simple 'if' statement would have solved that, but I'm probably oversimplifying. Or maybe Honda is doing some CYA, in case the MM doesn't work.

Btw, there are quite a few posters on this forum (in a different thread) who are planning to ignore the MM entirely, and change the oil at their own discretion.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
The MM is based on many factors: mileage, time, driving style, highway vs city, operating temperature, idling, etc. The recommendation from Honda is to change it at 15% or less, or after 1 year, whichever comes first. Sounds like it's possible for the MM to not reach 15%, even with time as a factor, especially if it sits a lot. Seems like a simple 'if' statement would have solved that, but I'm probably oversimplifying. Or maybe Honda is doing some CYA, in case the MM doesn't work.

Btw, there are quite a few posters on this forum (in a different thread) who are planning to ignore the MM entirely, and change the oil at their own discretion.
Lol not only that.. But ignore honda altogether and chose there own personal oil grade...

StevenK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
My MM says 15% usually between every 4 to 5 thousand miles. I spend a lot of time in slow freeway traffic. I was also wondering if the amount of time the engine is running is a factor.

Canndo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda White 4-Door -Turbo 1.5
2016 1.5 turbo, 10,000 miles. I change at 0 % , 3 times since Dec 2015. Full synthetic GTX. I wait for it to go on sell at WalMart. $23.99 5Q. A lot of good answer from people here.

Scoby151

Scoby151
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Hello, i was wondering if i can get some feedback. My oil life is at 30% with 3,000 miles is that bad ?
I drive 140 miles a day, I am at 9000 miles and still have 30% left. I drive 85 for almost an hour twice a day, sometimes faster lol. So in guess it depends on age, conditions and use.

WNC_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Civic LX Coupe 6 speed manual ,2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 5 speed manual
2.0 6 speed coupe- 3500 miles at 80% oil

I drive @96 miles a day all of it highway except 6 miles of country side roads.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
2.0 6 speed coupe- 3500 miles at 80% oil

I drive @96 miles a day all of it highway except 6 miles of country side roads.
Highway driving tends to be easier on the oil than city driving. Better gas mileage and less brake wear too. I got over 300,000 km on my previous car, mostly highway, and it was still running like new when I sold it.

WNC_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Civic LX Coupe 6 speed manual ,2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 5 speed manual
Highway driving tends to be easier on the oil than city driving. Better gas mileage and less brake wear too. I got over 300,000 km on my previous car, mostly highway, and it was still running like new when I sold it.
I am getting 41-42 mpg with the winter blend gas and i hardly use the brakes.

Hoping to get at least 200,000 -300,000 miles which should take me 10-15 years to get.Thats why i bought it to be a mule to drive back and forth to save miles on my Tacoma
Sponsored