3 year old OS pre-installed on touch screen

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I'm guessing you are talking about in the HU?

Ours (mid-February build Touring from Alliston) came with:
Android version 4.2.2
Kernel version 3.1.10+ jenkins@NDYWY3751622 #1 Thu Nov 19 03:48:06 JST 2015
Build number 1.F184.60
Applications Ver.1.F184.60

Have no clue if that's most recent.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
Music and nav are constantly in the background. The nav app records where you drive, so it's always running. Music is always available even when paused so I don't think it ever closes.

There is ~25% free RAM, therefore there is no RAM shortage.
Bingo...I am a Computer Eng...you got it. I just got the car and did not have time to research this. This is why Apple up'd they iPads n iPhones to 2Gb, cause of to much memory swapping... or what you call app swapping..which leads to lags and buffering... Well I know this will not be corrected for sure. Bummed for sure. Mazda had this issue for 2 years before adding more ram and they used Android.

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Android version 4.2.2
Build number 1.F184.60

That is what I have with a 02/2016 build

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda... are you listening..Android version 4.2.2 had horrendous Bluetooth issues... and is known for not being Apple friendly too. Wow this is all making sense now.

t3hub3rk1tten

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mwe.st
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring MSM
Honda... are you listening..Android version 4.2.2 had horrendous Bluetooth issues... and is known for not being Apple friendly too. Wow this is all making sense now.
They use a custom version of BlueZ, see the open source licenses. So I doubt that has much effect.

wendingTuo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
The only way I can get smooth audio playback is if I run Android Auto, which uses my phone's processor and RAM to power the interface (from what I understand, please correct me if I'm wrong). However, a Bluetooth connection is still required when connecting Android Auto... Doesn't that indicate that the audio is still being sent through Bluetooth? Why does it stutter when powered by the HU but not when powered by my phone? I can only assume it's the extra power provided by my Nexus 6. I'd be interested to hear other possibilities though..

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only way I can get smooth audio playback is if I run Android Auto, which uses my phone's processor and RAM to power the interface (from what I understand, please correct me if I'm wrong). However, a Bluetooth connection is still required when connecting Android Auto... Doesn't that indicate that the audio is still being sent through Bluetooth? Why does it stutter when powered by the HU but not when powered by my phone? I can only assume it's the extra power provided by my Nexus 6. I'd be interested to hear other possibilities though..
I am going to say, memory paging...which is called lag. I still have some on my Macbooks I use. From the phone, most today have 2+GB of RAM..so it does less paging.

t3hub3rk1tten

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mwe.st
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring MSM
When using Android Auto, Bluetooth is used for calls (why reinvent the wheel when every car with AA already has Bluetooth calls). Normal audio is transferred using USB, as far as the phone is concerned it thinks it's playing on speakers. The microphone for voice recognition appears to also go over USB (not 100% certain on that).

What I've seen work to reduce it is to disable wifi in the car and don't plug anything into the car's USB ports (flash drive or otherwise). You could also use a spare device as a permanent Android Auto setup.

Some phones seem to have compatibility issues with Bluetooth. I've used an iPhone 6 with my car and had no stuttering, and then I've switched to a Nexus 5 and 6P and gotten lots of stuttering. So no, it's not memory paging. If there's 25% free memory there won't be any paging, like I've said above.

wendingTuo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
When using Android Auto, Bluetooth is used for calls (why reinvent the wheel when every car with AA already has Bluetooth calls). Normal audio is transferred using USB, as far as the phone is concerned it thinks it's playing on speakers. The microphone for voice recognition appears to also go over USB (not 100% certain on that).

What I've seen work to reduce it is to disable wifi in the car and don't plug anything into the car's USB ports (flash drive or otherwise). You could also use a spare device as a permanent Android Auto setup.

Some phones seem to have compatibility issues with Bluetooth. I've used an iPhone 6 with my car and had no stuttering, and then I've switched to a Nexus 5 and 6P and gotten lots of stuttering. So no, it's not memory paging. If there's 25% free memory there won't be any paging, like I've said above.
That 25% free memory thing might be true if the 25% wasn't just 250mb... I think you're massively underestimating the amount of memory used when pulling apps from the background... Let alone adding nav processing or pushing music data to the amp.

If it were possible for me to monitor the RAM usage while switching between apps I'd be able to prove it to you. When you can show me that the system never hits 100% usage and thus never pages memory, I'll believe you about not needing more RAM...

David

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan Touring (Lunar Silver)

Android version 4.2.2
Build number 1.F184.60

Mine is a March 31 build Touring from Indiana:
Model number: MY16ADA
Android version 4.2.2
Kernel version 3.1.10+ jenkins@NDYWY3751622 #1 Mon Feb 15 19:59:23 JST 2016
Build number 1.F186.67

So it looks like they did do a new build. No idea what might be different, or how anyone might get an update installed.

DX2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I don't think the OS version is honestly important. It does what it needs to do it; it's not a phone. But I'd like a faster processor and more ram.

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think the OS version is honestly important. It does what it needs to do it; it's not a phone. But I'd like a faster processor and more ram.
I 10000% agree, it does have a slower processor than I think it should. Also, I don't care what anyone says, I test systems all the time. It needs more RAM for sure. I really think that is why the Pandora has hiccups..Also, that is why there are not MORE apps available by default. It next year they come out with a better one, I will demand a new radio...my other half is a pro to nag...LOL..

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
Who wants to disassemble theirs and replace the RAM (most likely soldered in....)

Dean_TO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti
I 10000% agree, it does have a slower processor than I think it should. Also, I don't care what anyone says, I test systems all the time. It needs more RAM for sure. I really think that is why the Pandora has hiccups..Also, that is why there are not MORE apps available by default. It next year they come out with a better one, I will demand a new radio...my other half is a pro to nag...LOL..
Everyone wants better hardware with more powerful processors and more RAM. Horsepower is the easy fix. iPhones had 500MB of ram and iPads had 1 Gig for a long time with little issues. The problem is the software. It needed more time. I believe we are on the third version for the head unit at 1.F184.60. The amp software was upgraded to 3.50. There is a rumor on another thread that there is a fourth version on the way. Let's set if it improves things. There are definitely memory leaks that start to slow things down and require a reboot to free up the system.
Sponsored