3 annoying things Honda cant or wont fix ....

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
You guys are right it's the 1.5 mill making the grinding sound. I've got the LX 2.0 MT and I don't have this problem. The only noise my car makes is this little warbling sound when I'm shifting gears. Sounds like maybe it's a shifter cable, or something. Kind of glad I bought the bottom of the line LX. Doesn't have any of the issues I've read about here. No infotainment system just a basic stereo and no subwoofer. Also I haven't had the hanging third brakelight(yet). Seems like I read that the LX MT coupe was built at a different plant, but I'm not sure.
Sponsored

RetroJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T 6MT ViTuned
Country flag
Has anyone with the 1.5 MT reported this grinding noise? I have yet to see one report of it on a manual civic.

airgas1998

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic touring sedan
Country flag
I guess if I still have the car prior to the 5/60 powertrain warranty expires (in which this problem would fall under). I'm hoping it fails within that given time frame. if it doesn't I doubt I'd keep it any longer. this of course assumes the issue is falling on deaf ears, which at this point many thousands of 1.5t will be out there with this problem. unless Honda quietly fixes this at such x given time, and we along with others until fixed will have to deal with this issue. I'd bet at the very least the cvt would have to be pulled as I think it has something to do with that. my co-workers ex 2.0 cvt does not have this issue as they use a different variant cvt.

grevic16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe
You guys are right it's the 1.5 mill making the grinding sound. I've got the LX 2.0 MT and I don't have this problem. The only noise my car makes is this little warbling sound when I'm shifting gears. Sounds like maybe it's a shifter cable, or something. Kind of glad I bought the bottom of the line LX. Doesn't have any of the issues I've read about here. No infotainment system just a basic stereo and no subwoofer. Also I haven't had the hanging third brakelight(yet). Seems like I read that the LX MT coupe was built at a different plant, but I'm not sure.
I agree with you about being glad I got the LX...not all the issues.

You'll probably get the brake light cover hanging sometime this summer. Heat causes it, in the winter it'll stay put. A little super glue, and you'll be fine when it does. Of course, I'm sure somebody will instantly say to never use super glue on a new car because blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe 1.5T WOP
No shuttle to my house? Strange Toyota always shuttled me home and back for my services. I'm taking the train...

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oil change

Let us know what they say!
Good luck today

Yeah we'll see what happen, I couldn't replicate the sound a ton and I'm not super into the idea of letting a technician take it home for the evening when its this new, I know it would weird me out knowing someone else drove my car. There is other stuff they are working on for me so if they cannot fix the grinding right now then maybe when the car gets some more miles on it I would let them take it for an evening.

I really hope to have some of the sound vibrations fixed and they are going to align my tires for me so that should help show if I did any damage hitting this big pothole a while back. Also having them look at the heat shield to make sure its not warping against the frame or anything.

Basically if they come back and say they cant fix the grinding I told the woman I want to start a case with corporate simply because this is affecting so many turbo drivers and I feel like I gotta do my part for all of us and submit it to as many dealers as possible.

Fingers crossed.

frankd53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
1.Touring subwoofer rattle.. they tried 3 times and know its there but wont do anything else till Honda comes out with official fix. About to just go to stereo shop, but why should I have to pay for a fix on a brand new car??
2. Car making a grinding noise when started on a warm engine. Honda says they cant duplicate, which is BS
3. Compressor making a high pitch whirling noise while driving when either heat or AC is on. Honda says its normal, BS
Re item 1, I wouldn't expect any magic fix from Honda. It's been a year already. Cars are not designed like recording studios.... with the amount of low frequency vibes from that sub, if you crank it loud enough, eventually something will rattle. Best bet is to try to isolate where your specific buzzing or rattling is coming from , and use the suggestions here, such as wedging foam or felt etc. in the right place.... I did that on my 2017 Touring which I got a week ago, and I am buzz-free now....

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Re item 1, I wouldn't expect any magic fix from Honda. It's been a year already. Cars are not designed like recording studios.... with the amount of low frequency vibes from that sub, if you crank it loud enough, eventually something will rattle. Best bet is to try to isolate where your specific buzzing or rattling is coming from , and use the suggestions here, such as wedging foam or felt etc. in the right place.... I did that on my 2017 Touring which I got a week ago, and I am buzz-free now....

I told Honda this morning to open up the drivers door and do some foam insulation there and do the same for the rear trunk shelf and maybe even replace the shelf if needed. We shall see.

And I have everything (sub, trebble, bass) all turned down as low as they can go. Thats not normal. That being said I understand what your saying.

Dretlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP, 2023 Tesla Model Y Perf
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No shuttle to my house? Strange Toyota always shuttled me home and back for my services. I'm taking the train...
Lol, our Hondas have shuttle service if within town. Def keep us posted

OP
OP

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
I have the sorbo bumpers between rear glass and third brake light and also stuff shoved into third brake light from inside trunk. Still vibrating with sub turned down

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE

Just got off the phone with Honda, she said the weren't able to fix it right now because I didn't authorize them to take the car home for the night but they did find a note in the database saying Honda is aware of this problem and is hoping to have a fix and a recall issued asap. Whatever that exactly means is up to you but she mentioned that this is a well known problem and I've been added to the list of affected customers.

OP
OP

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
UPDATE

Just got off the phone with Honda, she said the weren't able to fix it right now because I didn't authorize them to take the car home for the night but they did find a note in the database saying Honda is aware of this problem and is hoping to have a fix and a recall issued asap. Whatever that exactly means is up to you but she mentioned that this is a well known problem and I've been added to the list of affected customers.
a fix or recall in regards to the grinding noise? I hope you are right and they weren't just blowing smoke up your butt. There are many threads on this site in regards to this issue and not one person has gotten Honda to acknowledge this or even say Honda is aware of it.

OP
OP

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
a fix or recall in regards to the grinding noise? I hope you are right and they weren't just blowing smoke up your butt. There are many threads on this site in regards to this issue and not one person has gotten Honda to acknowledge this or even say Honda is aware of it.
can you ask if they could show you or print off this "note in the database"?
Sponsored