lipps

First Name
philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si coupe
Country flag
Hi guys! newbie here! just wanna know what is 2 step and anti lag? and how to do it. ;))
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I'll tell you how as long as you invest in a spare engine first.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lipps

lipps

First Name
philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si coupe
Country flag
i am. i saved just so incase something bad happens which i hope not.

ATLAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
As others have said both a risky things to do to your car's engine.

Anti-lag is a way of making sure your turbo doesn't have lag (i.e. spools quicker). It can be done a few ways but the main idea is that your can chang the timing of your intake/exhaust values, throttle body, and ignition so that not all combustion happens in the cylinder. Some of it will happen in the exhaust before the turbo so the "bang" occurs closer to the turbo which allows it to spool mich quicker and there's no lag (this is really simplified). However this put a ton of extra stress on your exhaust pipes, turbo and catalytic converter. I can't imagine a stock turbo would like it.

Two stepping is when you create two rev limits on your engine. The first rev limit (step) is lower so that your engine only revs to a certain rpm. It can allow you to rev your engine to the optimal rpm to get the best jump off the line. Different cars do it different ways but it still normally utilizes changing ignition timing, intake/exhaust valves and combustion. Once again it puts extra stress on your engine that this car was probably not designed for in terms of longevity and reliability.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
As others have said both a risky things to do to your car's engine.

Anti-lag is a way of making sure your turbo doesn't have lag (i.e. spools quicker). It can be done a few ways but the main idea is that your can chang the timing of your intake/exhaust values, throttle body, and ignition so that not all combustion happens in the cylinder. Some of it will happen in the exhaust before the turbo so the "bang" occurs closer to the turbo which allows it to spool mich quicker and there's no lag (this is really simplified). However this put a ton of extra stress on your exhaust pipes, turbo and catalytic converter. I can't imagine a stock turbo would like it.

Two stepping is when you create two rev limits on your engine. The first rev limit (step) is lower so that your engine only revs to a certain rpm. It can allow you to rev your engine to the optimal rpm to get the best jump off the line. Different cars do it different ways but it still normally utilizes changing ignition timing, intake/exhaust valves and combustion. Once again it puts extra stress on your engine that this car was probably not designed for in terms of longevity and reliability.

Well, you tried, even if you do get your info from Donut...

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Newbie and “Anti Lag” or “two step” should never go in the same sentence unless it’s “Newbies should never use two step or Anti Lag until they get experience under their belt”.

Even then, not a good idea on this engine. Many have blown their engines unnecessarily by experimenting. A quick search on the forum will show this. Avoid the headache unless you have a built motor.

ATLAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, you tried, even if you do get your info from Donut...
Well since no one else seemed to be answering his question I thought I'd try and I know my explanation is very simplified and probably not 100% correct.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Well since no one else seemed to be answering his question I thought I'd try and I know my explanation is very simplified and probably not 100% correct.
Two step is fine on the car. It doesn't produce any more stress than revving your engine at a stop sign.

There are two methods in which a 2 step rev limiter is achieved. The first is through ignition cut. This type often produces exhaust pops from unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust. The second method is through fuel cut once you reach your desired setting. With how smooth the 2 step is on both the 1.5 and the 2.0 its my guess that the ECU uses this method.

You were correct in your explanation with anti lag.

ATLAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Two step is fine on the car. It doesn't produce any more stress than revving your engine at a stop sign.

There are two methods in which a 2 step rev limiter is achieved. The first is through ignition cut. This type often produces exhaust pops from unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust. The second method is through fuel cut once you reach your desired setting. With how smooth the 2 step is on both the 1.5 and the 2.0 its my guess that the ECU uses this method.

I appreciate the correction as I'm always open to learning more.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
two step- RPM limiter at an earlier rpm to help launch the car- not harmfull.
Anti-lag- purposely igniting fuel in the exhaust valve to build boost, and a 2 step limiter to launch the car under full power. Built motor required.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

Based on what I can tell in the KTuner software the only option for 2-step is fuel cutting.

The main issue(s) with 2-step is people not understanding what it even is, and doing it on a cold motor.

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
turbo 1st (bare minimum)

short vid i made with the features for the supported ECU's

towards the end yes there's anti-lag demonstrated but it is ONLY for demonstration purposes + Race use ONLY.

Last edited:

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
If you're serious about antilag on a stock engine. I'll send you a tune with it enabled.

My only fee is that you live stream the result ;)
Sponsored