PTYFK8

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R/ 2017 Porsche 911 Carrera S / 2015 BMW M3 f80
Country flag
So two weeks ago, i took the FK8 to the track for the second time. This time with a proper setup. My biggest question was "if the R&T article about that using 18" wheels will harm that geometry of the suspension and have a negative impact on the car balance, specially on generating torque steering, which is not present in this car with the stock 20" wheels with the 60 offset. I decided to go with TWS in 9.5 and 40 offset and for tires i wanted to try out the Yokohamas Advan A052 in 255 40 18.

after a few laps and adjsuting the tire pressure properly, im sure that not using something close to 60 offset will cause the car to have torque steer, its not huge, but i found myself at time exiting a corner and having to correct the steering, nevertheless it was manageable, and with the abundant grip provided by the advan's i quickly forgot about it and started lowering my lap times..... until temp gauge reached 3/4 and had to run cooldown laps..... this can brake your timing efforts, (too bad Honda havent said anything about this issue). ill be on the track next month on the 19th and I already installed the HKS oil cooler..... pics bellow, Something to factor in my performance is that i flashed the ECU with hondata base 93 fuel map..... so i ended up with a fast lap of 1.37.056, when compared with the previous track day fast lap that was at 1.46 (mainly becuase wrong tire option, hankook ventus evo2, not a good tire at all for the track).

This is a video when i was giving a hard time to some Porsche's guys....

HKS oil cooler install

Honda Civic 10th gen 2nd Track day - 18" and the torque steer theory xJ10VMjhpIlSjddhZITg_JlDEuyfh-hcT4d0YmCYApb2OU27NVNAV4dpZxbA?width=1280&height=960&cropmode=none

Honda Civic 10th gen 2nd Track day - 18" and the torque steer theory QF71UgaNa3j4To-rBP4sTlGrUZfsO-QUrhh_IpNoR52KeI_StOQci0y8I7bA?width=960&height=1280&cropmode=none

Honda Civic 10th gen 2nd Track day - 18" and the torque steer theory mv9Q9go_vvELmfqL6HZMEbu5uQnyNvpF2U6ja3nyZrgTPWwpcVGl39aSkbg?width=4032&height=3024&cropmode=none

OP
OP

PTYFK8

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:
-What PSI are you running on your tires?
-And what are your mods?
30psi when tires are hot.

only mod: hondata base 93octane map. and now the oil cooler, just installed it last week.

JP

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
So... back to the theory... Do the 18” wheels cause the car to have torque steering?

OP
OP

PTYFK8

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So... back to the theory... Do the 18” wheels cause the car to have torque steering?
Im my case, with a 40 offset, yes they do generate some torque steer.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Interesting. Observations about your competition...you were totally owning them under braking. The last guy fell prey to the 911 weakness...oversteer! Nicely done.

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
Im my case, with a 40 offset, yes they do generate some torque steer.
Ahh thank you. I have the same size wheels as you and am going to hit the traxk for the first time next month so it’s nice to know what to expect haha.

d15b7

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 1995 Civic EG K24/20 EFR7163 Fortune Auto track weapon
Country flag
hi there! cool vid! just a suggestion (this is by no means a 'for sure do this'!) but try slightly higher hot tire pressures and see how it handles. I haven't tracked my CTR yet (it's too clean and new for me to do so lol!) but I have been racing my EG Civic for 21 yrs door to door (Honda Challenge) and doing Global Time Attack and various SCCA hill climbs here on the east coast. I've run it on 200 TW 'real street' street tires, 100 TW treaded R comps (Toyo RA1, R888, and Nitto NT01) and ultra soft compound Hoosier A7s. my EG is about 2500 lbs with me in it (lots of aero bodywork and cage and a K24/20 with EFR7163 turbo around 500 whp) and with none of those tires do I run as low as 30 psi hot pressures. depending on which tires and which track, I run anywhere from 34 to 38 psi hot on the front tires (usually a touch lower on the rears but still no where near 30 psi). try bumping up your pressures and see if it handles and squirms less (might have a bearing on the tq steer too).

also, if you are overheating after 3-4 laps (my EG does too sometimes on warm days even with a huge oil cooler and a big aluminum radiator); try running the heat on full power (point the dash vents out the windows and away from you) and def try short shifting it 500 or even 1000 rpm earlier; it makes a BIG difference and you'll overheat slower (or not at all maybe). it'll be a tiny bit slower being down the rpm band but you can drive around it and our CTR engines have a pretty broad tq band; give it a try and let us know how it goes! have fun and be safe!

jcp227

First Name
Jimmy Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue (It's even got a rear spoiler)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Very cool. Can you provide and additional detail on what it felt like going from 20s to 18s? Other than slight torque steer, did you notice anything else negative? Did the car enter the corner a little bit better?

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Just a question on the oil cooler--I don't see any exit holes in the fender liner for hot air to exhaust the cooler. Did you cut them after the picture was taken? If not, you should cut them so that the cooler works better.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Have you tested to see if it still overheats stock? It probably would still overheat eventually, as others have expereienced, but it is possible that the extra power and boost pressure from the tune could be causing just a little more heat than the stock system can handle.

FLOPPER

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
Have you guys tried the aftermarket freer flowing grilles and turbo blanket? Seems like the 1.5T guys are getting good results from those.

I'm sure an intercooler and oil cooler are still going to be a best practice when it comes to tracking, but the grille and turbo blanket seem like a possible great bang for the buck mod to help with cooling (other than blasting the heaters of course :)

OP
OP

PTYFK8

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just a question on the oil cooler--I don't see any exit holes in the fender liner for hot air to exhaust the cooler. Did you cut them after the picture was taken? If not, you should cut them so that the cooler works better.
We used the brake duct and put a mesh that came in for he kit.
Sponsored