First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, 19' Civic Si
Country flag
Hey all!

Does anyone else have issues rev matching down into 2nd gear? As much as I blip the throttle at around 22-25 MPH.. I cant seem to downshift into 2nd smoothly. I always get this huge jerk. I think the sweet spot is 3k RPMS to match around 22-25 MPH.

To circumvent, what I usually do is just let my speed drop below 20 MPH before rev matching into 2nd. It kind of sucks though because there is a downhill at the entrance of my driveway so unless I am braking and shifting/rev matching at the same time to get to the right speed, I always get a huge jerk.
Sponsored

Phillyp17

First Name
Phill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I feel the same problem. My wife complains about me jerking the car too much downshifting time second. I found it to be smoother alittle higher around 40-44mph at around 4500 to 5k rpm. It’s not ideal but I’ve been double clutching from 3rd to N to 2nd and blipping at around 2k to 2.5k rpm.

OneMiggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Si
Country flag
I've noticed this too, I can't tell if I'm not doing it right or maybe I'm in too low of an RPM but the throttle response when shifting between 2nd and 3rd (up or down) seems to be much weaker, that's probably programmed in the stock tune so you're not as "jerky" when you let off the throttle in lower gears.

I've noticed this after flashing back to stock with my Ktuner. The base tunes made my ride much jerkier in lower gears, but at least it was easy to downshift due to the throttle response.

I have yet to attempt to downshift in Sport mode but I'm gonna guess because of the increased throttle response in Sport, it'll probably be much easier to downshift.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I've noticed this too, I can't tell if I'm not doing it right or maybe I'm in too low of an RPM but the throttle response when shifting between 2nd and 3rd (up or down) seems to be much weaker, that's probably programmed in the stock tune so you're not as "jerky" when you let off the throttle in lower gears.

I've noticed this after flashing back to stock with my Ktuner. The base tunes made my ride much jerkier in lower gears, but at least it was easy to downshift due to the throttle response.

I have yet to attempt to downshift in Sport mode but I'm gonna guess because of the increased throttle response in Sport, it'll probably be much easier to downshift.
There's probably something at play with the rev hang delete and/or the fuel cut-off in the tunes also

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
Give it more rpm or slow down and take some mph out the equation. If you’re going into second from a higher gear you’d normally would be going slower than 25 and especially 40+

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Give your R a better chance, reduce speed before D/S Like 25-30 vs 40 to second.

Alternative is you could just STAY in Formula 2 racing?

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Hey all!

Does anyone else have issues rev matching down into 2nd gear? As much as I blip the throttle at around 22-25 MPH.. I cant seem to downshift into 2nd smoothly. I always get this huge jerk. I think the sweet spot is 3k RPMS to match around 22-25 MPH.

To circumvent, what I usually do is just let my speed drop below 20 MPH before rev matching into 2nd. It kind of sucks though because there is a downhill at the entrance of my driveway so unless I am braking and shifting/rev matching at the same time to get to the right speed, I always get a huge jerk.
It'll help if you remember what rpm each gear sits at in relation to the next gear up or down.

I can't remember exactly off the top of my head but theres about a 1k rpm difference between 2nd and 3rd. 6 to 5, 5 to 4, and 4 to 3 are easier cause you only need to rev up 500 rpms to match the gear your down shifting into.

Whatever rpm your sitting at in 3rd you wanna blip the throttle enough to increase it by 1k rpm. It takes a lot of practice to get the feel of how much throttle you need. Over or under blipping the throttle is how you get those jerky downshifts.

I would say practice it by being at 2k in 3rd and aim to up the revs to 3k when you downshift to 2nd. This way you'll get a feel of exactly how much throttle you need to get it smoothly.

Worry less about what speed your going and more of where the rpms are at. When you get enough practice and remember it, you'll be able to skip a gear when downshifting and itll still be buttery smooth

sib2on

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan (Aegean Blue)
Country flag
i have noticed this too.

i found the sweet spot for down shift to actually be around ~ 10- 15mph @ 2800rpm - 3000rpm
for that smooth transition.

In the end, i never find myself down shifting to 2nd as often as i would unless I'm doing a rolling stop at a stop sign (sshhhhh dont tell anyone.)

jtj5002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI, 2017 mustang GT
Country flag
You can use a calculator to check what RPM you should be at in each gear at a specific speed. Typically people jerk when downshifting into second gear because the gear gap between first to second and second to third are a lot bigger than the rest of the higher gears.

RRspud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda CR-Z/2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I am glad I came across this because I was very wary on what was going on. When shift from 1st to second I noticed a huge lag that causes a bit of a jerk when it finally catches. Been trying to find a sweet spot and best so far is to shift at 3k and give bit of gas before fully releasing the clutch. I normally never downshift into 2nd unless I know the light about to turn green when I am still rolling but still glad I’m not the only one experiencing this issue.

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I am glad I came across this because I was very wary on what was going on. When shift from 1st to second I noticed a huge lag that causes a bit of a jerk when it finally catches. Been trying to find a sweet spot and best so far is to shift at 3k and give bit of gas before fully releasing the clutch. I normally never downshift into 2nd unless I know the light about to turn green when I am still rolling but still glad I’m not the only one experiencing this issue.
The SI has very bad rev hang going from 1-2. 2-3 isnt as bad but its still very noticeable.

Unless you get a tuning device to delete rev hang you'll just have to deal with it. And it sucks for people who remain stock because you have to hold the clutch out for like 2-3 seconds to let the rpms drop enough to make it a smooth shift.

The 31 lbs dual mass flywheel also doesn't help.
Sponsored