281 mile round trip MPG..............................

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Took a trip from Ft. Myers to Orlando in the Civic Touring a total of 281 miles real world driving, highway and city mixed at about 75% highway 25% city using a total of 6.2 gallons of fuel.

Read out average mile per gallon on the dash 45.3 MPG.

281 miles divided by 6.2 gallons equals 45.3 MPG.

Can't beat that for accuracy.
Our '12 Si mpg readout is consistently 6+% high over multiple fill-ups- Great that yours is more accurate.
BTW most pumps dispense in thousandths of a gallon and our trip meters read to tenths of a mile but either way you'd still be within 2% of calculated - That's Great.
Sponsored

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
In town driving all week the read out is normally about 2 mpg higher than hand calculation but in all city driving you are idling and accelerating a lot more and that effects the ability of the on board computer to be completely accurate. The point was these cars can get some incredible fuel mileage in the right conditions. I am under no illusion that if I did the same drive with different weather conditions and traffic conditions that it would match the results I posted. There are just to many variables that effect fuel mileage. This day everything was right for a great drive resulting in incredible fuel mileage.
As the mileage computer is monitoring fuel consumed as a function of miles driven, idling and city driving should not have any noticeable effect on the accuracy of what's calculated.

Sushimaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 lx
Vehicle Showcase
I have a hard time associating this car as a fuel economic car, i mean is isn't small, short, ugly like the Prius or Toyota Echo, nothing about the Civic scream good mpg. None of my friend even believed when i told them about this sporty looking new Civic with bmw like interior is besting my old Echo in mpg. Honda really did an amazing job as creating the best all rounded car in the segment.

OP
OP

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 Ram 1500, 2016 Harley Ultra Limited
As the mileage computer is monitoring fuel consumed as a function of miles driven, idling and city driving should not have any noticeable effect on the accuracy of what's calculated.
Sorry but if that were true every in car computer would be 100% accurate and we all know they can be off by a few MPG. There are just to many variables it has to deal with to be 100% accurate all the time.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Sorry but if that were true every in car computer would be 100% accurate and we all know they can be off by a few MPG. There are just to many variables it has to deal with to be 100% accurate all the time.
It's the algorithm being used, not idling, etc. Over 48,270+ miles our tank to tank trip A calculations averages vary 6.2% high, the oil change to oil change variation Trip B averages 6.5% high. There's very little idling or stop and go when we take our trips and while the computed mileage goes up and down 39.9 to 27.7, the difference in hand calculated vs the readouts of both the trip A and B both are 6+ % high.
Too bad you can't enter a calibration adjustment somewhat like the temperature readout. (The nav system has a calibrating the fuel economy section but it seems to only correct the listed value for future reference (looks like you have to "correct" every time you fill or want to get a readout).)
Sponsored