281 mile round trip MPG..............................

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 Ram 1500, 2016 Harley Ultra Limited
Took a trip from Ft. Myers to Orlando in the Civic Touring a total of 281 miles real world driving, highway and city mixed at about 75% highway 25% city using a total of 6.2 gallons of fuel.

Read out average mile per gallon on the dash 45.3 MPG.

281 miles divided by 6.2 gallons equals 45.3 MPG.

Can't beat that for accuracy.
Sponsored

themzlab

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
themzlab.tumblr.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2013 Prius 5,2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
curious... you obviously did this as an experiment because you filled up the tank way before it was empty.

Did you stop at a gas station at the start of your long trip - then reset the trip computer.
do your long drive and then stop for gas again and take the data?

so - a gas station visit at the beginning and end?

OP
OP

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Filled up at a Chevron station near my house, we traveled to Orlando had a nice time then we traveled the same route back home stopping at the same Chevron station and filled the car again, it took 6.2 gallons of fuel and we traveled a total of 281 miles. The trip meter was set at zero miles at the first fill up.

The in car computer showed we averaged 45.3 mile per gallon and when I hand calculated the miles traveled with the gallons of fuel used that comes out to 45.3 miles per gallon.

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm sure a lot of you know about this site but: http://www.gasbuddy.com/TripCostCalculator

Give it your starting location and destination, as well as a few details about your car. Figures out the best place to fill up and how much it should cost for that trip.

That said, 45mpg is great. I haven't been patient enough to get that high but I don't doubt it can be done.

hondamitch51

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring ; 2016 CRV Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Took a trip from Ft. Myers to Orlando in the Civic Touring a total of 281 miles real world driving, highway and city mixed at about 75% highway 25% city using a total of 6.2 gallons of fuel.

Were you using Econ mode? were you in D the whole time? These are really good numbers!

OP
OP

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Were you using Econ mode? were you in D the whole time? These are really good numbers!
Using Eco Mode in D, have not had it out of Eco Mode since we bought the car.

OP
OP

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure a lot of you know about this site but: http://www.gasbuddy.com/TripCostCalculator

Give it your starting location and destination, as well as a few details about your car. Figures out the best place to fill up and how much it should cost for that trip.

That said, 45mpg is great. I haven't been patient enough to get that high but I don't doubt it can be done.
It can be done but at the same token a different day with different weather conditions and traffic pattern can alter the results for the same trip. Many things effect fuel economy.

themzlab

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
themzlab.tumblr.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2013 Prius 5,2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
Filled up at a Chevron station near my house, we traveled to Orlando had a nice time then we traveled the same route back home stopping at the same Chevron station and filled the car again, it took 6.2 gallons of fuel and we traveled a total of 281 miles. The trip meter was set at zero miles at the first fill up.

The in car computer showed we averaged 45.3 mile per gallon and when I hand calculated the miles traveled with the gallons of fuel used that comes out to 45.3 miles per gallon.
Thanks for sharing this information and all the details. great to see this.

it's good news to see one calculation matching the car display. I am highly skeptical of the car displays since I rarely see one under-report mpg. What I have noticed so far with the reports on this forum is that the error is relatively small. It is still on the side of Honda exaggerating the number but it's not as bad as my Prius.

Your real mpg was influenced by the fact that your car was already warmed up. This increases the efficiency and so the 45mpg does not represent anything that can be repeated over time. The energy to heat the engine up to temperature has to be spent and the engine is also less efficient when it is cold.

OP
OP

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In town driving all week the read out is normally about 2 mpg higher than hand calculation but in all city driving you are idling and accelerating a lot more and that effects the ability of the on board computer to be completely accurate. The point was these cars can get some incredible fuel mileage in the right conditions. I am under no illusion that if I did the same drive with different weather conditions and traffic conditions that it would match the results I posted. There are just to many variables that effect fuel mileage. This day everything was right for a great drive resulting in incredible fuel mileage.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag

Approximately what speeds were you driving on the highway?

OP
OP

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Approximately what speeds were you driving on the highway?
Maximum speed limits were 65 MPH except one short stretch of I75 that was 70 MPH and another short stretch on I4 that was 70 MPH which then dropped to 65 MPH, A lot of 60 MPH also with many slow downs through towns down to 35 MPH and dealing with stop lights though the towns on US17.

I will set cruise control 4 MPH over the posted speed limit as in Florida the first five miles per hour over the speed limit by state statute you are issued a warning instead of a speeding citation if you are pulled over. I have yet to be pulled over for holding to 4 MPH over the speed limit.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maximum speed limits were 65 MPH except one short stretch of I75 that was 70 MPH and another short stretch on I4 that was 70 MPH which then dropped to 65 MPH, A lot of 60 MPH also with many slow downs through towns down to 35 MPH and dealing with stop lights though the towns on US17.

I will set cruise control 4 MPH over the posted speed limit as in Florida the first five miles per hour over the speed limit by state statute you are issued a warning instead of a speeding citation if you are pulled over. I have yet to be pulled over for holding to 4 MPH over the speed limit.
Wow! 45.3 MPG is really good for that kind of driving!

OP
OP

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow! 45.3 MPG is really good for that kind of driving!
My wife is averaging 34 MPG back and forth to work in town a little over 40 some miles round trip. The eco button is always on.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My wife is averaging 34 MPG back and forth to work in town a little over 40 some miles round trip. The eco button is always on.
I'd expect it to be getting a little better than that, especially with the 1.5L engine. What kind of driving (city, rural, highway) is the 40 mile round trip?

My daily trip is 11 miles each way, mostly rural, with 5 stop signs.

finneylp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, 2016
Country flag
I found my highway miles are better WITHOUT the Eco on.

I tested 3 full take each on my normal driving (80-90% highway). With Eco I got about 36, without 38.

My next test will be to try without Eco on highway but with it for city. If I can remember to turn it on and off
Sponsored