27WON W1 Turbo for the ultimate daily driver?

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag
My '20 Si sedan is my daily driver which I put about 200 mile a week of (mostly) highway miles on. Other than Michelin PS4S summer tires it is stock aside from a handful of tiny cosmetic mods like interior LEDs and 27WON shift knob. I plan to keep this car as my DD for a few years until EVs enter the full mainstream and hopefully Honda or Toyota steps into the game. Next Summer I plan to purchase a minty AP2 S2000 as it was (one of my) dream car when I was much younger. The Si, even stock, is fun to drive and very efficient, however......

My goal for a DD is to retain the efficiency while also modifying for more power and a power band that doesn't drop off above 5K like the stock configuration does. I've read a lot about the 27WON W1 Turbo and it seems an ideal fit for my goals. Again, I plan to buy a more raw sports car next year to have in the garage so I'm not looking to break records in my Si. 275-300whp would be PERFECT for my daily driver goals in a car that weighs 2900lbs! So, after some reading and lurking, here is my planned upgrade checklist that I'm looking to upgrade:

*Civic Type R clutch/flywheel retrofit - I know the stock clutch will crap the bed with an upgraded turbo power
*27WON Intake - I know the PRL makes a bit more power, but as a matter of preference I value the design of the 27WON unit and it's higher placement to avoid any potential hydrolock
*27WON Intercooler - obviously to contain heatsoak
*27WON W1 Turbo
*Custom Tuning

Unlike many here, I am not interested in a loud downpipes or really anything else that adds a lot of sound. In my younger years, yes.......now, not so much. Is the above set up with custom tuning for 93 octane a realistic plan for 275whp or so and a power curve that continues to climb unlike the stock one at 5K rpms?
Sponsored

si_well

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Based on the parts you listed 275-300whp should absolutely be achievable from everything I’ve seen with similar builds. The only other part I would add to that list is the 27won turbo inlet pipe because the factory turbo inlet pipe will bottleneck the higher flow turbo.

My advice would be to start with geting a tsp stage 1 tune and drive around with that for awhile. If this is your daily driver and you plan on getting a dedicated race focused car, you might be satisfied with just the tune. It changes the whole dynamic of the car and really wakes it up. It yields 238whp on a bone stock Si (a huge leap from the 187whp from the factor)and also widens the power band dramatically. It pulls all the way to redline and doesn’t feel like it falls on its face at 5k RPM.

You will need to get a tuning device like a ktuner anyway if you plan to custom tune it, and you can get the TSP tune for free if you buy a ktuner from them, so you can save yourself a serious chunk of change if you end up being satisfied with just the TSP stage 1 tune.

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm aiming for similar power figures as you, 270 whp. But, I personally would add a catted downpipe to the list.

I emailed Derek Robinson over at Innovative Motorworks (extremely popular 10th gen Civic tuner and the creator of the TSP Stage 1 tune) about the need for an upgraded downpipe and he mentioned, verbatim:

"You shouldn't install the W1 without upgrading the intercooler and downpipe at the very least. Upgrading the downpipe usually lowers exhaust pressure directly following the turbine wheel, which is a good thing. "

Food for thought.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Based on the parts you listed 275-300whp should absolutely be achievable from everything I’ve seen with similar builds. The only other part I would add to that list is the 27won turbo inlet pipe because the factory turbo inlet pipe will bottleneck the higher flow turbo.

My advice would be to start with geting a tsp stage 1 tune and drive around with that for awhile. If this is your daily driver and you plan on getting a dedicated race focused car, you might be satisfied with just the tune. It changes the whole dynamic of the car and really wakes it up. It yields 238whp on a bone stock Si (a huge leap from the 187whp from the factor)and also widens the power band dramatically. It pulls all the way to redline and doesn’t feel like it falls on its face at 5k RPM.

You will need to get a tuning device like a ktuner anyway if you plan to custom tune it, and you can get the TSP tune for free if you buy a ktuner from them, so you can save yourself a serious chunk of change if you end up being satisfied with just the TSP stage 1 tune.
Doh! I knew I left something out - the Turbo Inlet Pipe

My initial plan when getting the car was just what you described - TSP Stage 1 tune and call it a day. But, what I've read seems to indicate that the TSP tune enhances the midrange greatly but does nothing for the upper rpms. Is that not true?

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm aiming for similar power figures as you, 270 whp. But, I personally would add a catted downpipe to the list.

I emailed Derek Robinson over at Innovative Motorworks (extremely popular 10th gen Civic tuner and the creator of the TSP Stage 1 tune) about the need for an upgraded downpipe and he mentioned, verbatim:

"You shouldn't install the W1 without upgrading the intercooler and downpipe at the very least. Upgrading the downpipe usually lowers exhaust pressure directly following the turbine wheel, which is a good thing. "

Food for thought.
Hmmmm, maybe if I heard a catted version of the DP.....I just don't want my car to be "loud" at all. Most of the exhausts/downpipes I've heard posted here are way too loud/buzzy for my tastes.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Hmmmm, maybe if I heard a catted version of the DP.....I just don't want my car to be "loud" at all. Most of the exhausts/downpipes I've heard posted here are way too loud/buzzy for my tastes.
You can get a Catted DP, which would be recommended as you don't want to get rid of the CAT, that being said, it will have a more throaty sound. As long as you don't mess with the stock exhaust (leave the resonators on, for God's sake!), it shouldn't be to loud. Catless DP is another story

si_well

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Doh! I knew I left something out - the Turbo Inlet Pipe

My initial plan when getting the car was just what you described - TSP Stage 1 tune and call it a day. But, what I've read seems to indicate that the TSP tune enhances the midrange greatly but does nothing for the upper rpms. Is that not true?
It definitely shifts the peak power and torque further down the rev range and let’s it climb longer, pretty much to redline. So I think it definitely helps give it life in the upper rpms.

Honda Civic 10th gen 27WON W1 Turbo for the ultimate daily driver? 1588803448029

But like others have mentioned, a proper high flow catted downpipe will allow better exhaust flow from the turbo and shouldn’t add too much unwanted sound. It just sounds a little throatier.

YankeeSi

First Name
jerad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 si sedan
Country flag
My '20 Si sedan is my daily driver which I put about 200 mile a week of (mostly) highway miles on. Other than Michelin PS4S summer tires it is stock aside from a handful of tiny cosmetic mods like interior LEDs and 27WON shift knob. I plan to keep this car as my DD for a few years until EVs enter the full mainstream and hopefully Honda or Toyota steps into the game. Next Summer I plan to purchase a minty AP2 S2000 as it was (one of my) dream car when I was much younger. The Si, even stock, is fun to drive and very efficient, however......

My goal for a DD is to retain the efficiency while also modifying for more power and a power band that doesn't drop off above 5K like the stock configuration does. I've read a lot about the 27WON W1 Turbo and it seems an ideal fit for my goals. Again, I plan to buy a more raw sports car next year to have in the garage so I'm not looking to break records in my Si. 275-300whp would be PERFECT for my daily driver goals in a car that weighs 2900lbs! So, after some reading and lurking, here is my planned upgrade checklist that I'm looking to upgrade:

*Civic Type R clutch/flywheel retrofit - I know the stock clutch will crap the bed with an upgraded turbo power
*27WON Intake - I know the PRL makes a bit more power, but as a matter of preference I value the design of the 27WON unit and it's higher placement to avoid any potential hydrolock
*27WON Intercooler - obviously to contain heatsoak
*27WON W1 Turbo
*Custom Tuning

Unlike many here, I am not interested in a loud downpipes or really anything else that adds a lot of sound. In my younger years, yes.......now, not so much. Is the above set up with custom tuning for 93 octane a realistic plan for 275whp or so and a power curve that continues to climb unlike the stock one at 5K rpms?
I'm not knocking the theme of going all 27won i've bought many things from them and their customer service is fantastic but there's cheaper quality alternatives instead of waiting. As for the potential of hydrolocking a prl cobra... if you're driving through mini lakes higher than your fog light you deserve it? You need suspension mods to put the power down.. Rear Motor mount at the least. The 27won does the job if you're going all out if not the setup of the CTR RMM with Perrin inserts I have for my daily does a great job. Best of luck with the mod bug.

Last edited:

nawx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I'm not knocking the theme of going all 27won i've bought many things from them and their customer service is fantastic but there's cheaper quality alternatives instead of waiting. As for the potential of hydrolocking a prl cobra... if you're driving through mini lakes higher than your fog light you deserve it? You left out tires which i'd consider essential and suspension mods to put the power down.. Rear Motor mount at the least. The 27won does the job if you're going all out if not the setup i have for daily does a great job. Best of luck with the mod bug.
I would think that if he doesn't want a loud car/exhaust then he probably wouldn't want a shaky car either. I know I don't, and I don't want a loud car either lol. I do agree though, suspension mods make this a great daily driver. I love it so much more now.

YankeeSi

First Name
jerad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 si sedan
Country flag
I would think that if he doesn't want a loud car/exhaust then he probably wouldn't want a shaky car either. I know I don't, and I don't want a loud car either lol. I do agree though, suspension mods make this a great daily driver. I love it so much more now.
Which is why i said the setup i have which is in the sig is great for daily, i've had the 27won it was too much with the a/c.

nawx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Which is why i said the setup i have which is in the sig is great for daily, i've had the 27won it was too much with the a/c.
I don't see the sig on mobile, my bad. I figured you were talking about the 27won RMM which I hear does make everything shaky.

YankeeSi

First Name
jerad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 si sedan
Country flag
Yeah I just checked on my phone and it doesn’t show up. Civic type R with Perrin inserts works great.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Food for thought;

I have a PRL Catless downpipe installed on my car, with the 27won turbo and a couple other things.
I had to add a second resonator as the car was too raspy and loud. Solved all my problems and sounds virtually stock.. With the exception of the occasional crackles when shifting at low rpm.

In regards to the wheel hop I highly recommend window welding the type r mount. I tried the hasport and the 27won and they all shook the hell out of the car, almost rally car territory. Too much for me to handle.

Just my two cents

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for all of the comments and info, guys!

As for my preference for the 27WON parts..... I have no allegiance to them, per se, and if another company comes up with parts that are very well regarded and perform exceptionally well, I'd be more than happy to research and consider them. That being said, I do like the ease of maintenance and construction of their intake vs the PRL even if it gives up a few ponies. Their W1 Turbo is a no brainer for me, as well.

I am definitely NOT a candidate for a hardened rear motor mount. Haha. Honestly, I appreciate the ride quality of the Si in daily traffic so that's something I won't sacrifice. I should add to my list that I have purchased the CTR chassis brace and am ordering the Whiteline 22m RSB w/ Accord end links. Coupled with a Front Strut Tower Bar I think that will be all I need for my purposes on the suspension. Oh yeah......I did replace the crappy all season tires 2 months into my ownership with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires and love them.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I guess I'm reluctant a bit to do a catted downpipe as anything exhaust related, unless you can hear it on another person's car yourself, is always a guessing game. What sounds good or bad from a YouTube clip may not reflect that in person. Plus once you buy it and install it, you're kinda stuck with it unless you want to uninstall and sell for half price.
Sponsored