Chris_1018

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Hey guys I’m new to all this and have a couple of questions. I have a 2018 civic Si with the prl intercooler with charge pipes, prl street intake, and Ktuner with tsp stage 1. I’m thinking about upgrading to the 27won W1 turbo. This is my daily driver but I want to have a little more fun with it so I’m just wondering if it’s worth the money. Do I have to build the motor if I get the W1 turbo? Do I have to run a flex fuel kit? Can I run that turbo with the current mods I have or do I have to get the intake, intercooler, and inlet pipe from 27won? Lastly do I have to get a dp/fp?
Sponsored

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I say get a custom tune from drob once u get the w1. And also get an intercooler your heat soak is ganna be crazy once u start doing a couple pulls. Perhaps a downpipe would help too but it’s not something you NEED right now at least imo. I’m assuming you already upgraded your clutch? You can stay on 91 ethanol isn’t mandatory and you can tell drob to make you a conservative tune if you’re worries for your internals.

OP
OP

Chris_1018

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I say get a custom tune from drob once u get the w1. And also get an intercooler your heat soak is ganna be crazy once u start doing a couple pulls. Perhaps a downpipe would help too but it’s not something you NEED right now at least imo. I’m assuming you already upgraded your clutch? You can stay on 91 ethanol isn’t mandatory and you can tell drob to make you a conservative tune if you’re worries for your internals.
I have the prl intercooler already. I’m still on the stock clutch because I haven’t had any issues with it. I’m sure I’ll have to upgrade my clutch soon though. How can I get a custom tune from him?

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the prl intercooler already. I’m still on the stock clutch because I haven’t had any issues with it. I’m sure I’ll have to upgrade my clutch soon though. How can I get a custom tune from him?
Yes you’ll have to upgrade your clutch first. You don’t wanna pay for the tune and not be able to finish data logging bc your clutch keeps slipping.
When you’re ready here’s the website https://www.imwtuned.com/

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
You can definitely run the W1 with the mods you have, just do a custom tune. You don't have to run a flex fuel kit if you don't want to.

I emailed Derek Robinson about this and he said you shouldn't install a W1 without upgrading the intercooler and downpipe at the very least. Upgrading the downpipe lowers exhaust pressure directly following the turbine wheel, which is a good thing. W1 + stock downpipe would be constrictive.

So yeah, I would grab a downpipe. Yes on the clutch too.

Just keep in mind the failure rates for W1's: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/w1-turbo-alarming-failure-rate.60264/

RV6 has their own drop-in turbos releasing very very soon which have been looking promising.

OP
OP

Chris_1018

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
You can definitely run the W1 with the mods you have, just do a custom tune. You don't have to run a flex fuel kit if you don't want to.

I emailed Derek Robinson about this and he said you shouldn't install a W1 without upgrading the intercooler and downpipe at the very least. Upgrading the downpipe lowers exhaust pressure directly following the turbine wheel, which is a good thing. W1 + stock downpipe would be constrictive.

So yeah, I would grab a downpipe. Yes on the clutch too.

Just keep in mind the failure rates for W1's: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/w1-turbo-alarming-failure-rate.60264/

RV6 has their own drop-in turbos releasing very very soon which have been looking promising.
Does it matter if it’s a catted downpipe or not? I’ve heard catless sounds really bad on these cars

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Does it matter if it’s a catted downpipe or not? I’ve heard catless sounds really bad on these cars
No, as long as it is an aftermarket downpipe you are fine. They provide much more flow over the stock downpipe. PRL or RV6 catted downpipes are popular choices.

Catless will yield you a bit more power since there is no restriction but yeah, I kinda agree, catless doesn't sound the greatest imo.

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I’m currently running the W1 and some of those mods you don’t explicitly need to run the turbo, but it definitely helps. I think the IC is a must with the heat soak issues and the other mods are gonna help with air flow and other things to help you get all of the power you can out of the turbo. If you don’t do these mods they will essentially become bottle necks to your setup.
inlet pipe = more air flow
Intake = more compressed air
FFK = optional (only if you want to make more power)
Dp = less restrictive exhaust gases

also you will most likely have to upgrade your clutch so I’d probably think about doing that prior to turbo install (especially if you run FFK). You do not need to build out engine internals unless you’re trying to achieve 330+ hp. My tuner mentioned anything over 330+ is when you get in no mans land with how well the engine will hold up.
mine is currently at 307/293 and I couldn’t be any more happy with the setup.
good luck with your set up!

OP
OP

Chris_1018

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I know the Ktuner has some tunes for the W1 turbo. What’s the difference between those and a custom tune?

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know the Ktuner has some tunes for the W1 turbo. What’s the difference between those and a custom tune?
Those are base maps I don’t think it’s the best option to use it for that long. Imo the only reason why I’d use a base map is to go get dyno tuned. Custom tune is custom to your modifications and your motor.

_1slowsi_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Si
Country flag
I’m currently running the W1 and some of those mods you don’t explicitly need to run the turbo, but it definitely helps. I think the IC is a must with the heat soak issues and the other mods are gonna help with air flow and other things to help you get all of the power you can out of the turbo. If you don’t do these mods they will essentially become bottle necks to your setup.
inlet pipe = more air flow
Intake = more compressed air
FFK = optional (only if you want to make more power)
Dp = less restrictive exhaust gases

also you will most likely have to upgrade your clutch so I’d probably think about doing that prior to turbo install (especially if you run FFK). You do not need to build out engine internals unless you’re trying to achieve 330+ hp. My tuner mentioned anything over 330+ is when you get in no mans land with how well the engine will hold up.
mine is currently at 307/293 and I couldn’t be any more happy with the setup.
good luck with your set up!
is 300WHP doable on stock turbo with flex fuel with a custom tune?

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
is 300WHP doable on stock turbo with flex fuel with a custom tune?
With enough boost I wouldn’t doubt it. But then you’re putting more stress on the turbo.

OP
OP

Chris_1018

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
So what I’m getting from all this is upgrade my clutch first then get a downpipe, turbo, and a custom tune. Since there’s problems with the W1 turbo I should probably wait for RV6. I was thinking about clutch masters but not sure if it’s any good.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
So what I’m getting from all this is upgrade my clutch first then get a downpipe, turbo, and a custom tune. Since there’s problems with the W1 turbo I should probably wait for RV6. I was thinking about clutch masters but not sure if it’s any good.
It's not. ACT, Competition, or CTR retrofit.
Sponsored