Elite Sponsor
First Name
Barett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan, 2009 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
The intake system for the L15 has been thoroughly discussed, developed and tested, but the piping that connects the intake system to the turbo compressor inlet has NOT. Efficient power is all about airflow and what better way to know if there is a restriction in the system then with real world testing?

We flow tested the OE SI and NON-SI turbo inlet pipes on a superflow flow bench to get real numbers. The results are interesting to say the least...the question is what is the next step?
Check it out in the blog and let us know your thoughts.

https://www.27won.com/blog/honda-civicx-turbo-inlet-pipe-flow-testing-design-pt1
Sponsored

JC671

Youtube: JaySi.671
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI, '90 GTR, '10 370z, '90 Mr2 Turbo
Country flag
Continue R&D, make a better full metal inlet that will provide actual gains other than aesthetics.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've seen other intake pipes from a "unnamed thai company" and they go rather "extreme" into making the pipe flow better. The hardest part in making these intake pipes flow better is the 180 degree turn from the flange .This is also where most of the losses are from imo cause the radius is interupted.The second biggest downside on the oem intake pipe is Heat soak .It sits directly above the turbo so going with a aluminium intake pipe needs to take care of heat soak better then the oem plastic.Some things i was thinking :
- Cast aluminium 180 degree bend with flange to get the best flow .Downside is cost and Heat soak for the large aluminium block.
- Mandrel bend aluminium pipe with flange welded on .This is cheaper but more difficult to make since you can't bend smaller then the 180 degree radius .So it would most likely be made the same as the "unnamed thai company".
- Fiberglass or Carbon intake pipe (with some lost wax method) would possibly be the best of everything except the price would be high.

In the end everyone is going to get another turbo cause the oem unit can't flow enough .So i wouldn't invest too much into making these intake pipes and make them out of mandrel bend pipe and maybe get them properly coated to reduce heat soak.It would however be more interesting for the 27won turbo's .
Ps: for great coatings i would use Zircotec uk .

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
A new turbo inlet pipe would interest me, despite my not wanting to run a tune. The stock pipe is questionably positioned, poorly shaped, and looks terrible. There's not a lot that can be done about the positioning since the air intake was placed on the wrong side, but the other two can definitely be improved.

Bonus points if you make something more resistant to the heat and offer a quality way to insulate it. I'm not sure how I feel about the PTP lava blanket for the inlet pipe, but that's the right idea IMO.

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think I've read that Eman completely took off that inlet pipe and attached his filter on there. He didn't get to use a MAF sensor but hey he's got the record for fastest 1/4 mile. He must be onto something, right?

Zcfc3dc5

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si, 2002 Acura rsx type s, 2011 Nissan Titan
Country flag
If you guys make an aluminum inlet tube I’ll buy it immediately lol. I hate how the plastic looks. The aluminum inlet pipe on the type r k20c1 looks so much better

OP
OP
Barett@27WON

Barett@27WON

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Barett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think I've read that Eman completely took off that inlet pipe and attached his filter on there. He didn't get to use a MAF sensor but hey he's got the record for fastest 1/4 mile. He must be onto something, right?
You're not wrong, but Eman is also using a Motec stand-alone ECU therefore he does not have to use the OE MAF sensor. For 99% of all other members of the community the OE MAF sensor is required for proper vehicle operation.

I've seen other intake pipes from a "unnamed thai company" and they go rather "extreme" into making the pipe flow better. The hardest part in making these intake pipes flow better is the 180 degree turn from the flange .This is also where most of the losses are from imo cause the radius is interupted. The second biggest downside on the oem intake pipe is Heat soak .It sits directly above the turbo so going with a aluminium intake pipe needs to take care of heat soak better then the oem plastic.Some things i was thinking :
- Cast aluminium 180 degree bend with flange to get the best flow .Downside is cost and Heat soak for the large aluminium block.
- Mandrel bend aluminium pipe with flange welded on .This is cheaper but more difficult to make since you can't bend smaller then the 180 degree radius .So it would most likely be made the same as the "unnamed thai company".
- Fiberglass or Carbon intake pipe (with some lost wax method) would possibly be the best of everything except the price would be high.

In the end everyone is going to get another turbo cause the oem unit can't flow enough .So i wouldn't invest too much into making these intake pipes and make them out of mandrel bend pipe and maybe get them properly coated to reduce heat soak.It would however be more interesting for the 27won turbo's .
Ps: for great coatings i would use Zircotec uk .
These are some good points, thank you. We'll keep them in mind as we continue to explore this project. One major we are facing is the relocation of the BPV. The OE turbo inlet pipe fully integrates the OE BPV with all the internal charge air passages within the Turbo Inlet Pipe. We could just force the use of an aftermarket BPV with a custom charge pipe silicone, but then that adds more cost for you guys. That really isn't the path we would like to take. Preferably we could reuse the OE BPV with our design to reduce your overall cost.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wouldn't it be easier to just have a ( for example) 25mm outlet either out of silicone or aluminium or something else and make a adaptor flange with 25mm tube for the oem bpv.This way you could still use the oem bpv or change out to a aftermarket unit .The 25mm round outlet bpv ( Bosch type) are mostly used and have enough aftermarket support.I don't really know if 25mm would be big enough though...

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
You're not wrong, but Eman is also using a Motec stand-alone ECU therefore he does not have to use the OE MAF sensor. For 99% of all other members of the community the OE MAF sensor is required for proper vehicle operation.

These are some good points, thank you. We'll keep them in mind as we continue to explore this project. One major we are facing is the relocation of the BPV. The OE turbo inlet pipe fully integrates the OE BPV with all the internal charge air passages within the Turbo Inlet Pipe. We could just force the use of an aftermarket BPV with a custom charge pipe silicone, but then that adds more cost for you guys. That really isn't the path we would like to take. Preferably we could reuse the OE BPV with our design to reduce your overall cost.
MAP was working on integrating a BOV/BPV on the intercooler cold side piping. If people are running a set up like that, it could make it easier for you guys to make a new inlet pipe. I think one thing to keep in mind, is that people will not only buy the inlet pipe for performance, but also for bling as you could potentially have a nicer less plastic looking engine bay.

OP
OP
Barett@27WON

Barett@27WON

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Barett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wouldn't it be easier to just have a ( for example) 25mm outlet either out of silicone or aluminium or something else and make a adaptor flange with 25mm tube for the oem bpv.This way you could still use the oem bpv or change out to a aftermarket unit .The 25mm round outlet bpv ( Bosch type) are mostly used and have enough aftermarket support.I don't really know if 25mm would be big enough though...
Due to the design of the stock BPV, relocating is with an adapter flange is not really an option. The vent and pressure input to the stock BPV are both located on the same flange surface, therefore the adapter would have to be a very intricate machined part. At that point it would make more sense to just move to an aftermarket option. If we can integrate the stock BPV style into the 27WON TIP design similar to OE then it makes sense. Approaching the design with that goal effects the type of manufacturing we would use. Such as cast AL vs AL pipe and silicone.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Due to the design of the stock BPV, relocating is with an adapter flange is not really an option. The vent and pressure input to the stock BPV are both located on the same flange surface, therefore the adapter would have to be a very intricate machined part. At that point it would make more sense to just move to an aftermarket option. If we can integrate the stock BPV style into the 27WON TIP design similar to OE then it makes sense. Approaching the design with that goal effects the type of manufacturing we would use. Such as cast AL vs AL pipe and silicone.
Now i get it .Cast AL would be the easiest way for this i think .Something like the FK8 cast intake pipe with some fins around the pipe so it gets cooled ...
Looking forward to see your design ...! ;)

OP
OP
Barett@27WON

Barett@27WON

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Barett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

R.Andre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I wonder is this will would and issue for those who have a CVT and hopefully this can be used with stock and others intakes other than 27won.

airickmatthews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hatch sport
Country flag
Man, I can’t wait for this thing to be released! Already have the w1 turbo, I’ll end up getting the turbo blanket as well since taking the TIP off is a PIA. Lol.