Elite Sponsor
First Name
Barett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan, 2009 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
The intake system for the L15 has been thoroughly discussed, developed and tested, but the piping that connects the intake system to the turbo compressor inlet has NOT. Efficient power is all about airflow and what better way to know if there is a restriction in the system then with real world testing?

We flow tested the OE SI and NON-SI turbo inlet pipes on a superflow flow bench to get real numbers. The results are interesting to say the least...the question is what is the next step?
Check it out in the blog and let us know your thoughts.

https://www.27won.com/blog/honda-civicx-turbo-inlet-pipe-flow-testing-design-pt1
Sponsored

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for looking into this.
Was perplexed why no one was addressing that dumb pancake on top...

FK7 Mvnny

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM 2018 EX Hatchback, NHBP 2007 Accord Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The intake system for the L15 has been thoroughly discussed, developed and tested, but the piping that connects the intake system to the turbo compressor inlet has NOT. Efficient power is all about airflow and what better way to know if there is a restriction in the system then with real world testing?

We flow tested the OE SI and NON-SI turbo inlet pipes on a superflow flow bench to get real numbers. The results are interesting to say the least...the question is what is the next step?
Check it out in the blog and let us know your thoughts.

https://www.27won.com/blog/honda-civicx-turbo-inlet-pipe-flow-testing-design-pt1
I legit had no clue SI and Non-SI inlet pipes were different... Learn something new every day.

I honestly don't think coming out with an aftermarket turbo inlet pipe would lead to any significant gain in power just because any significant change in diameter of the pipe is restricted by hood clearance. The only benefit I could see is maybe temp wise (by change in material from the OEM plastic), but the air is getting heated up via pressure as it goes through the turbo anyways. Obviously I'm no expert though, so this is all speculation lol.

Regardless, I'm all for innovation...and that pipe does look ugly. If anyone is gonna find a way to get power from there, it's you guys. Full send!

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hood clearance isn't an issue, have you seen PRL's Turbo kit?
Honda Civic 10th gen 27WON - Testing the OE Turbo Inlet Pipe DSCN2992copy

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great research! Thanks for sharing.

TheKevinlyFather

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (Sold), 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec (SH-AWD)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think you would get plenty of buys for the cosmetic upgrade alone. Performance gains would obviously be something everyone would love as well, though!

OP
OP
Barett@27WON

Barett@27WON

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Barett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you for the feedback guys. We are evaluating this project currently. Our biggest hurdle right now is deciding what to do with the stock BPV setup. It would be ideal if could retain the stock BPV setup vs an aftermarket BPV that would require a custom silicone hose and/or adapters.

The TIP overall is very complex; if we continued with this project we would want to keep it as simple and cost effective as possible without sacrificing performance or aesthetics.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have replied on your blog as well as sent you guys email about this project. I am very, VERY interested in your end product. Even if you guys are not happy with it overall, I am. I want that piece replaced going into my stock turbo. I'm willing to take the beta piece off of your hands if it fits and the piping diameter is at least the same diameter as an PRL Race maf's diameter. Hit me up via here or my email.

I love the site/members, etc but if you end up dyno'ing this and somehow the hp/tq doesn't seem like a significant jump, 'I Still Want it'. Just wanted to be clear on that. :p

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
I have replied on your blog as well as sent you guys email about this project. I am very, VERY interested in your end product. Even if you guys are not happy with it overall, I am. I want that piece replaced going into my stock turbo. I'm willing to take the beta piece off of your hands if it fits and the piping diameter is at least the same diameter as an PRL Race maf's diameter. Hit me up via here or my email.

I love the site/members, etc but if you end up dyno'ing this and somehow the hp/tq doesn't seem like a significant jump, 'I Still Want it'. Just wanted to be clear on that. :p
We will be lucky to get this by winter. 27won either takes their time to make a good product or drag ass because they try to take on too many new projects at one time. I cant figure out which one it is. I dont know how big their company is but I wish they would concentrate on maybe 2 things at a time. I wish they would concentrate on the SI intercooler and the Type R exhaust and shut everything else down until the projects are finished. They kinda lost my sale with how long they took on the SI exhaust. Not trying to crap on these guys, I absolutely love what they are doing. I know it takes time to R&D but damn time is ticking fast.

OP
OP
Barett@27WON

Barett@27WON

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Barett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Quick Update - We are making progress and taking the next big step to making this project real. We've been able to retain all the critical features that makes the installation and overall experience with the part straightforward and simple.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Quick Update - We are making progress and taking the next big step to making this project real. We've been able to retain all the critical features that makes the installation and overall experience with the part straightforward and simple.
Thank you for the update. We are watching! And waiting! :D

OP
OP
Barett@27WON

Barett@27WON

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Barett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you for the update. We are watching! And waiting! :D
We are as excited about this project as you guys are trust us, but we want to really knock this one out of the park so we giving it a lot of attention. We are certain you guys and gals will love the end result.
Also, there are other performance components this part interfaces with that are getting our attention as well so we may have a complete package ready for you guys.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
So, since the stock turbos are capable of a maximum cfm rate of just of 400 (each model); then, this project would apply only to "Upgraded" turbos correct.
In addition, the stock turbo(s) are not at their best efficiency when flowing that cfm - so, it is only going to compliment upgraded turbos.
At .85VE on a 1.5L engine w/VTC, how much is the RPM extended to flow the projected CFM?

Last edited:
Reactions: Myx

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
So, since the stock turbos are capable of a maximum cfm rate of just of 400 (each model); then, this project would apply only to "Upgraded" turbos correct.
In addition, the stock turbo(s) are not at their best efficiency when flowing that cfm - so, it is only going to compliment upgraded turbos.
As long as it doesn't hinder the stock turbo performance people will still buy it for the engine bling. If in fact the new inlet pipe only compliments upgraded turbos then it is even more reason to buy it for people like me who have the W1 on their to do list. Either way it will sell. PRL is working on the Type R inlet pipe but leaving the one on the SI alone for now. I guess they couldn't find enough benefits? Prove them wrong 27won.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As long as it doesn't hinder the stock turbo performance people will still buy it for the engine bling. If in fact the new inlet pipe only compliments upgraded turbos then it is even more reason to buy it for people like me who have the W1 on their to do list. Either way it will sell. PRL is working on the Type R inlet pipe but leaving the one on the SI alone for now. I guess they couldn't find enough benefits? Prove them wrong 27won.
You mean the turbo inlet crossover pipe for the R?
Honda Civic 10th gen 27WON - Testing the OE Turbo Inlet Pipe 4CAF958C-BD0F-4877-A6B4-8855BEC00DDC

As for the Si I don’t think they should waste their time and $$$ on that since they have big turbo kit already that replaces it all.
Honda Civic 10th gen 27WON - Testing the OE Turbo Inlet Pipe 78576668-267B-4A2A-9D33-9D7171851195