OP
FC1Dawn

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Think I found the source. In a Subaru WRX forum, someone posted the exact same issue that I have. Cruising, no whistle. Once under boost, whistle.

Some comments pointed out that the sound was coming from the throttle body clamps / coupler.

I checked mine out, turns out the throttle body T-Bolt clamp is 3/4 the way on. From the top, it looks even. But once I felt around it, I found out that at the bottom, there is maybe like 1/4 of the clamp hanging off of the coupler.

Hoping this solves the whistling issue. It's gunna be a pain to get that thing back in the correct position as the provided clamp is extremely difficult to get on and off. Worst case scenario, I'll need to get a slighty larger T-Bolt clamp.
Sponsored

Fit2Hatch

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Interesting.

Last edited:

NkryptD0n3

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Platinum White
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Awesome review. I too have the 27Won FMIC. Only issue I had was the shop didn’t tighten down one of the clamps enough and the hose popped off. Scared the crap outta me when I hit full boost running WOT and it sounded horrible plus felt like I hit a brick wall. I was able to fix it and no issues since.

I did notice my STFT seem to fluctuate more than previously-at least I think they do because I don’t remember them moving around as much. LTFT is generally good though; states around 0 to at most about -5 which I believe means the car is running rich on the KTuner v2.

The car feels more powerful now than it ever did before. I’m on the stock turbo and I can say that the butt dyno definitely noticed a difference. Solid power all through the band. Really loving my 27Won FMIC & it sounds like you are too!

Again, awesome review & thank you!

OP
OP
FC1Dawn

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Rechecked the throttle body coupler and it almost popped off. It was very loose. You MUST push the charge pipe all the way over to the left (if you are facing the engine). This helps the throttle body coupler push inwards for correct fitment.

I also popped off the front left fake vent to access the hot side pipe. T-Bolt clamp was pinched and the silicon tube was bent up a bit. Readjusted that one but I still hear that damn whistling noise. After going for a test drive, it sounds like the whistling noise is not as prominent but it's still there.

Not losing any boost pressure and fuel trims look great. Planning to take a look at the cold side coupler in the near future.

Despite all of this, I can't say good enough things about this FMIC. My IAT2's are wonderful and I love not being heatsoaked. The lower knock control is a great plus too :)

Lucky13_X

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Awesome post/review. I’ve been debating the PRL vs 27won fmic for a few weeks now. Definitely pulling towards 27won. How long did the install take?

OP
OP
FC1Dawn

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Awesome post/review. I’ve been debating the PRL vs 27won fmic for a few weeks now. Definitely pulling towards 27won. How long did the install take?
For me, I took my time with this install. I have never tackled this sort of installation before. Took me probably like 12 hours spread over about 4 days. You could easily get this entire thing completed in probably 4 hours if you didn't run into any snags like I did.

OP
OP
FC1Dawn

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Update: pretty sure I found the whistling issue. The PRL Cobra intake wasn't clamped down properly after re-install. Gave the whole thing a quick glance over and no more whistling noise!

Last edited:

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the write up FC1Dawn! You saved me a lot of headache, as i used WD-40 on the same two clamps you did. That’s great you figured out the whistling noise! I ended up breaking one bumper tab closest to the grille that I didn’t know was there. Most videos or guidance on our bumpers say there are two head light tabs but my car had three. Installation instructions were really good for this product and was only missing the removal of the top plastic IC shroud, which is common sense anyways. I have a lot of 27won products but the intercooler is by far my favourite and I am happy with how precise the piping was designed and fabricated. I used to stare at my car walking away from the back, now I do it from the front!
Honda Civic 10th gen 27Won Front Mount Intercooler Review with Datalogs 0C254EBD-2FE6-467C-8730-5FF42FB799F6

OP
OP
FC1Dawn

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
@ManitobaSI Glad you got everything installed properly! I also had three headlight tabs on each side so don't worry. Enjoy!

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
@FC1Dawn Have you had any legal issues running this FMIC in California? I’m moving there in a few weeks and will have to get a smog test since I’m from out of state. I have the 27won FMIC installed on my FK8.

I’ve seen so many different opinions/feedback/documents and I can’t figure out how much of a hassle my 27won FMIC is going to be.

OP
OP
FC1Dawn

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
@FC1Dawn Have you had any legal issues running this FMIC in California? I’m moving there in a few weeks and will have to get a smog test since I’m from out of state. I have the 27won FMIC installed on my FK8.

I’ve seen so many different opinions/feedback/documents and I can’t figure out how much of a hassle my 27won FMIC is going to be.
I have not had any issues. Highway patrol and local Sherriff / PD don't even glance at me. That said, I don't draw attention to myself as I have no exhaust setup, no wheel setup (yet), nor any "flashy" items.

Here are some links that contain good, but scattered, information:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/what-mods-are-illegal-in-california.29408/
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/stock-charge-pipes-vs-aftermarket-pipes.43770/

Do you just have the FMIC or do you also have the charge pipes?

I've heard multiple things about aftermarket intercoolers. I am not a lawyer but I think CA doesn't care about the intercooler itself (as it is not a CARB item) and worries more about the charge pipes (as in the charge pipes need to be CARB certified but the intercooler does not).

I've read online on M3/M4 forums about how even after being state ref'd, the aftermarket intercooler (without any CARB EO) was not docked and the owner was allowed to keep it.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I have not had any issues. Highway patrol and local Sherriff / PD don't even glance at me. That said, I don't draw attention to myself as I have no exhaust setup, no wheel setup (yet), nor any "flashy" items.

Here are some links that contain good, but scattered, information:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/what-mods-are-illegal-in-california.29408/
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/stock-charge-pipes-vs-aftermarket-pipes.43770/

Do you just have the FMIC or do you also have the charge pipes?

I've heard multiple things about aftermarket intercoolers. I am not a lawyer but I think CA doesn't care about the intercooler itself (as it is not a CARB item) and worries more about the charge pipes (as in the charge pipes need to be CARB certified but the intercooler does not).

I've read online on M3/M4 forums about how even after being state ref'd, the aftermarket intercooler (without any CARB EO) was not docked and the owner was allowed to keep it.
I have PRL’s pipes which are all black with a logo, but the logo can be covered. Those pipes weren’t very fun to put in, so I’d like to not change them back out

OP
OP
FC1Dawn

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I have PRL’s pipes which are all black with a logo, but the logo can be covered. Those pipes weren’t very fun to put in, so I’d like to not change them back out
Since we have visual inspections, let's hope you can slip by with no issues!

Hopefully CA gives you a warm welcome and you enjoy it here. Our car scenes in certain cities can be whack but there are plenty of other groups and small clubs that are tight-knit and legit.
Sponsored