27WON FK8 Turbocharger Upgrade (The one the forum asked for)

OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i watched it and didnt really hear any difference from oem, mhi and prl have a nice sound, but more expensive lol, this seems good!
depends a lot on what intake you are running as well.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Good stuff Vincent! excited to hear about some real world experiences with it!

OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good stuff Vincent! excited to hear about some real world experiences with it!
I plan to post a more detailed review on my build thread, but for now here's the bullet points.

- Spools just like stock, no sacrifice in lag
- On pump 91 it makes more power and torque throughout the entire power band
- On the unfinished tune, before adding more boost and timing, we made 383/400
- No smoking issues, direct OEM drop-in replacement
- Per AIM SOLO data, on e40 tune my lap times were almost identical in 90F weather, vs stock turbo e50 tune in perfect 65-70F weather. This means once cooler weather hits, the lap times should come down by 3-4 seconds.

EDIT: Attached dyno sheet of the 383/400 pull. Keep in mind this was at previous tune timing and no additional boost added. I believe this was 25lbs.

The new tune is not quite done yet, and I'll get this back on dyno shortly.

Honda Civic 10th gen 27WON FK8 Turbocharger Upgrade (The one the forum asked for) 151847D3-614C-44AC-8297-BE7F0EEA4B69

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Thanks guys.

@b2point0h how do you feel as far as keeping the spool and responsiveness as oem-like as possible. Do you think there would be benefit in ramping up the power a bit more gradually so you dont have to be as stingy with throttle application exiting corners?

Also, it would be interesting to see if ECT is affected at all now that you have this turbo. How was that for you at the past event?

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks guys.

@b2point0h how do you feel as far as keeping the spool and responsiveness as oem-like as possible. Do you think there would be benefit in ramping up the power a bit more gradually so you dont have to be as stingy with throttle application exiting corners?

Also, it would be interesting to see if ECT is affected at all now that you have this turbo. How was that for you at the past event?
I love the instant response. Allows me to pull hard and fast out of corners, which is something I prefer since that's where you're losing most of your lap times.

Have you seen my videos? 🤣 I aint stingy at all on throttle haha. Video drops later today at 5pm. It's just the session, which was cut short unfortunately. Given the ridiculous 85-95F temps, ECT suffered badly, so this wasn't a great cool-weather test. It was a however a good hot weather test to verify these cars still suffer from heat-soak no matter what power level or mods you're running.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I love the instant response. Allows me to pull hard and fast out of corners, which is something I prefer since that's where you're losing most of your lap times.

Have you seen my videos? 🤣 I aint stingy at all on throttle haha. Video drops later today at 5pm. It's just the session, which was cut short unfortunately. Given the ridiculous 85-95F temps, ECT suffered badly, so this wasn't a great cool-weather test. It was a however a good hot weather test to verify these cars still suffer from heat-soak no matter what power level or mods you're running.
Maybe thats why im so slow, I need to be more generous with the throttle hah

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
I'll chime in with the quick details before a longer post on our build thread

I've had the Kuro on silently since mid-May, and initially was able to get the car started and running on the P600 basemap by Hondata. Booked e-tuning sessions with D Rob right away, and have been working with him over the past month - currently on Revision 5 of 8.

With each revision the power delivery has gotten smoother and faster. I've set very conservative goals with the FBO + Kuro setup, wanting somewhere in the neighborhood of 380whp and 340wtq because 1) I'm keeping the stock fuel system, 2) I have no easy access to ethanol blends, and 3) I just want a linear pull all the way to redline for an OEM+ feel and only pushing the turbo 80% of the way for less heat as it's a circuit build. You're looking at the numbers and wondering what's the point when that can be achieved with the stock turbo, and my answer is simply that I want peak torque at around 4,200rpm and peak hp at 7,000rpm. Stock turbo tuning from the graphs I'm seeing show peak torque between 3,400 - 3,600 rpm, and peak hp at 6,000rpm, and personally I'm not a fan of that because the excitement of winding it out to redline is lost when the power starts plateauing/dropping off before redline

I have to say I'm really happy with this so far, I've logged about 1,500 miles on the turbo since install. Here's a pull I did with a friend :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

^ One of the main reasons we worked with Brandon on the development of this turbocharger. We wanted someone who is not afraid to push the car to the limit and that Brandon does.

OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen 27WON FK8 Turbocharger Upgrade (The one the forum asked for) 1658849714846

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Just clocked 4,000 miles since May 14th when the Kuro went in - finished e-tuning with Derek Robinson last Friday, and went to the local shop this past Wednesday to see what we're making as it pulls like a freight train on the street all they way to redline!

Keep in mind these seeming low below numbers on paper are on a Mustang Dyno, which reads 12% lower than Dynojet. Most shops in North America use Dynojet, and a third type of Dyno which Derek, 27WON, and JSR engines are using is called Dynapack, which attaches to the hub and also reads about 12% lower so we're having to do some multiplication here for now, but at a later time I will try to get the car onto a Dynojet/Dynapack so folks see a more relatable number.

Anyways, here was a Before Pull in April with the ONLY performance mods being 27WON IC, 27WON Exhaust, and Takeda Intake. Temps were in the mid 40F range.

If we apply a 12% correction:
270.75 x 1.12 = 303.24whp
283.54 x 1.12 = 317.56wtq
These numbers fall in line with the gains you can expect without being tuned
Honda Civic 10th gen 27WON FK8 Turbocharger Upgrade (The one the forum asked for) 20220416_154523 (1)

This past Wednesday, temps were in the mid 80's range, and the mods we have now are 27WON Kuro, 27WON IC, 27WON Exhaust, Eventuri Intake, Eventuri Inlet, and RV6 Catted DP. No ethanol, no meth, no fuel system alterations, no MAF changes. From our earlier post you'll see that this is by intention as I've only aimed for 80-90% of this turbo's capacity from a cost and drivability perspective. All I wanted was FBO power numbers without a massive torque shove early on that falls quickly, and peak hp that carries the way to redline not plateauing after 6k.

Honda Civic 10th gen 27WON FK8 Turbocharger Upgrade (The one the forum asked for) 20220727_213055

Same thing, let's apply a 12% correction so these numbers are more relatable:
362.7 x 1.12 = 406.22whp
339.22 x 1.12 = 379.92wtq

I'm happy to say that these numbers surpassed my expectations. To confirm that the 12% correction is correct, we even threw @Thusee's car on the dyno after mine - his W2 setup made 296whp on a different Dynojet, and here on this Mustang Dyno he only put down 260whp, that's 12% right there.

My numbers show the absolute limit of the stock fuel system + stock/street MAF + pump gas. Great share above by @Vincent@27WON that shows how JSR managed another 20whp with their customer car running E30. Now it's up to @b2point0h to show what upgraded fuel system + race MAF + ethanol will do :)

My predictions are he'll land safely between 455-460whp, right in the range that 27WON has advertised Kuro for. Congrats 27WON team!!

Honda Civic 10th gen 27WON FK8 Turbocharger Upgrade (The one the forum asked for) 20220727_201354