2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mods

-27WON turbo
-PRL cold air intake race maf
-PRL intercooler
-PRL catless downpipe
-PLM front pipe (I don't recommend this with the PRL downpipe)
-Modified type r exhaust (removed the 2 inch restriction where it connects to the frontpipe)
-Vit-tuned flex fuel kit
-PTP turbo blanket
-Ktuner v2
-Custom tune from Derek Robinson
-92 octane with 37-38% ethanol
-FX350 with stock flywheel

Notes

I had Derek limit the low end torque.

From my conversations with Derek, I think this is about as far as you can go with the base model motor. My fuel system is maxed out. (The Si fuel system can deliver more fuel than the base model.)

He had also mentioned the base model turbo inlet pipe might be a restriction vs the Si.

I made 241whp and 303 torque on this same dyno with the stock turbo, running the same fuel with PRL street maf, PRL intercooler, stock downpipe/front pipe, and exhaust on a custom Vit-tune.
Waber old v new.JPG
Waber overlay.JPG

Nice numbers! Thanks for posting your before/after numbers. I STILL would like to be able to change the turbo inlet to a larger size but it is what it is.
On the Front Pipe situation, I had the same issue and made a thread about it. I later found out that it was installed wrong and several people did the same thing. PRL may have changed and include instructions on how to install that front pipe properly.

Your before numbers are VERY interesting as I'm only interested in a taking the stock torque up to 240-250 range tops. And to notice that with your before mods your max hp rpm moved from 5500rpm to 5000rpm. Good to know!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Shadowfighter

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport manual
Country flag
Nice numbers! Thanks for posting your before/after numbers. I STILL would like to be able to change the turbo inlet to a larger size but it is what it is.
On the Front Pipe situation, I had the same issue and made a thread about it. I later found out that it was installed wrong and several people did the same thing. PRL may have changed and include instructions on how to install that front pipe properly.

Your before numbers are VERY interesting as I'm only interested in a taking the stock torque up to 240-250 range tops. And to notice that with your before mods your max hp rpm moved from 5500rpm to 5000rpm. Good to know!
You could swap to the Si turbo inlet pipe. Its slightly bigger. 27Won is working on a replacement turbo inlet pipe that I'm very interested in. I didn't find out that the si had a bigger inlet pipe tell after the custom tune. If I had known I would have swapped mine to the si pipe.

I don't have a PRL frontpipe. Its made by PLM (Privite Label Mfg). I wish I had the PRL it would have saved me alot of head ache.

Reactions: Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You could swap to the Si turbo inlet pipe. Its slightly bigger. 27Won is working on a replacement turbo inlet pipe that I'm very interested in. I didn't find out that the si had a bigger inlet pipe tell after the custom tune. If I had known I would have swapped mine to the si pipe.

I don't have a PRL frontpipe. Its made by PLM (Privite Label Mfg). I wish I had the PRL it would have saved me alot of head ache.

You have GOT to be kidding me. I can simply swap to a Si turbo inlet? Someone has done this already?
So say I purchased this 2018 SI Coupe turbo inlet piece ---> Si Turbo Inlet
It's bigger than our base model's inlet and it's a direct swap?

Don't mean to go off track of the awesome dyno plots. Your post actually helped me pinpoint more of what I'm looking for in general. I'll PM you if I have any more specific questions (like the actually difference in inlet diameters between the two).

airickmatthews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hatch sport
Country flag
You have GOT to be kidding me. I can simply swap to a Si turbo inlet? Someone has done this already?

Don't mean to go off track of the awesome dyno plots. Your post actually helped me pinpoint more of what I'm looking for in general. I'll PM you if I have any more specific questions (like the actually difference in inlet diameters between the two).
Yes it’s a direct swap. I’m holding off till 27won releases theirs.

OP
OP
Shadowfighter

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport manual
Country flag

Yes, I saw a post on the 10thgen Facebook page of a sport hatch with the 27won turbo and he had the si inlet tube listed as one of his mods.

https://www.27won.com/blog/honda-civicx-turbo-inlet-pipe-flow-testing-design-pt1

I think you will find that link very informative.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes it’s a direct swap. I’m holding off till 27won releases theirs.
Yes, I saw a post on the 10thgen Facebook page of a sport hatch with the 27won turbo and he had the si inlet tube listed as one of his mods.

https://www.27won.com/blog/honda-civicx-turbo-inlet-pipe-flow-testing-design-pt1

I think you will find that link very informative.
HUGE thanks guys! I'm kinda just getting back on the board and into the game. I didn't know there was any progress on this. I posted my own thread asking about this over a year ago --- Turbo inlet pipe.

I'm off to do some reading and research now from that link. SWEET! :dance:

Edit/Update: Guess I'll wait until 27Won or someone else makes something specific. Seems the difference in cfm between the two is .7cfm. Using a cfm to horsepower converter means spending the $100 or so for the piece will net me .5hp for that extra .7cfm of airflow. Yeah, guess I'll wait.

Last edited:

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can't stop staring at these dyno plots. The fact you are only making 9ft-lbs of torque and 67hp more is EXACTLY what I have in mind. A bonus is that torque curve is pushed upward a bit so that would be even better for the CVT longevity, although it's gutless down low. I can always put the gear lever in 'S' or 'L' to help.

:doh: Ugghh......this damn 27Won turbo.

yaom1ng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 CVT
Country flag
In my opinion its not worth building a base model motor.

I was debating between rebuilding the motor with after market rods and pistons or swaping in a used si motor when my rods finally give up. But now that I see the fueling limitations (plus all the other differences) I have decided I'm going to swap to the si motor when the time comes.

I'm not trying to bash your build idea. I just want you to get the best bang for your buck.
why would you swap a base motor for the si motor if it uses the same block and head as the base motor? What fueling limitations does the base motor have that the si motor doesnt have? what am i missing

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
why would you swap a base motor for the si motor if it uses the same block and head as the base motor? What fueling limitations does the base motor have that the si motor doesnt have? what am i missing
Internals are different and base motor is an L15BA while the Si is an L15B7. Internals between the two are different as well as the hpfp or high pressure fuel pump.

yaom1ng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 CVT
Country flag
Internals are different and base motor is an L15BA while the Si is an L15B7. Internals between the two are different as well as the hpfp or high pressure fuel pump.
well, he said he was wanting to rebuild the internals and both heads and blocks have the same part number. also, the hpfp is 47$

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
well, he said he was wanting to rebuild the internals and both heads and blocks have the same part number. also, the hpfp is 47$
Question is the Si hpfp compatible with the Non si motor.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bumping a good ole thread for info on a similar vein that I haven't found through searches:

I've seen the curves 27WON provided for their W1 on their blog... attached below w/a link...

OEM turbo @21 vs a tune, also w/91
Honda Civic 10th gen 27WON FK7 dyno results Honda+Civic+Turbo+Upgrade+L15

Just the basemaps... OEM turbo vs W1
Honda Civic 10th gen 27WON FK7 dyno results 2017+Honda+Civic+SI+turbo+upgrade

I know ethanol can give much more... but ~280 whp is pretty sexy on 91 in and of itself. I was curious if there was anyone that just uses 91-93 that has a basemap/modified basemap or has done a tune that can provide a review. Getting E85 is sort of a haul for me.

https://www.27won.com/blog/the-w1-drop-in-turbocharger-pt5-power

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen 27WON FK7 dyno results upload_2019-8-17_16-50-51

Fresh off the dyno!