geekzilla

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I am VERY CLOSE to buying 4 - size 255/35ZR20 Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 for my stock 20" rims.

I've read through the many threads here a few times now and I have only read one time where someone was backing out of a parking spot and turning sharply and heard a rub of the wheel well.

Before I click "Buy!" - has anyone else ever had trouble with these size wheels hitting the wheel wells? Any rubbing? I daily drive and don't want any trouble - and also am hoping that the extra width and height will stop me from scraping my front spoiler on my driveway. I often have 4 adults in my CTR (2 adults and 2 teens).

Please let me know your experience. Thanks!

-- Frank

====================== UPDATE ======================

Proceeded as planned on Tuesday 9/10/19 and am very happy so far. I've driven a couple hundred miles and have had no tire rub or problems. It definitely is nicer not having to worry about that one pothole that will break my rim as I clearly have more cushion now. As others have said, you can feel a little difference in terms of a smoother, less bumpy ride overall. "R mode" definitely feels more like "Sport mode", but "Sport mode" does not feel like "Comfort mode". So far - most of my driveway enters do not scratch my splitter and almost all of my driveway exits no longer scratch. I do feel a little loss in acceleration performance - almost like my new tires are heavier - but that could just be in my head.

Overall happiness with purchase - 9/10

Will post pics after next car wash.

-- Frank
Sponsored

Last edited:

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Frank I have that tire size and the car is my daily.

Pros: More protection to the wheel, better grip and no rub even with 4 adults. (Stock suspension)

Cons: Car drives 3mph over the speedo, you lose a lil bit of acceleration due to a taller tire.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had 245/35/20 for a few months without any issue. More comfortable with the thicker sidewall, offers better wheel protection, and stays within +/- 2% OE 26" diameter (if speedo error is a concern). I'd give this a consideration if carrying passengers.

AMA-10gen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R CW, 2015 GMC sierra 2500 HD denali Duramax, 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Turbo charged Sidewinder Banks
Country flag
I installed my set today 255/35R20 Continental DWS 06 tires in my stock wheels and no rubbing at all, but I don't carry anyone in the R it's usually just me since my kids are all grown and they drive their own cars to college etc. and the wife hates my Type R, so she never rides in it, but me personally I didn't notice any rubbing or any lack of acceleration, actually it feels a little more responsive to me.

I will consider installing some Eibach springs to lower it .6" in the front and .8" in the rear and I believe it will clear them no problem but I still need to try that before i'm 100% sure.

OP
OP
geekzilla

geekzilla

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Frank I have that tire size and the car is my daily.

Pros: More protection to the wheel, better grip and no rub even with 4 adults. (Stock suspension)

Cons: Car drives 3mph over the speedo, you lose a lil bit of acceleration due to a taller tire.
Thanks John!

OP
OP
geekzilla

geekzilla

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I had 245/35/20 for a few months without any issue. More comfortable with the thicker sidewall, offers better wheel protection, and stays within +/- 2% OE 26" diameter (if speedo error is a concern). I'd give this a consideration if carrying passengers.
Thanks! I'm really trying to get the max height without scraping my fenders, as I have a crappy driveway and keep scraping my front spoiler. Thanks though!

OP
OP
geekzilla

geekzilla

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I installed my set today 255/35R20 Continental DWS 06 tires in my stock wheels and no rubbing at all, but I don't carry anyone in the R it's usually just me since my kids are all grown and they drive their own cars to college etc. and the wife hates my Type R, so she never rides in it, but me personally I didn't notice any rubbing or any lack of acceleration, actually it feels a little more responsive to me.

I will consider installing some Eibach springs to lower it .6" in the front and .8" in the rear and I believe it will clear them no problem but I still need to try that before i'm 100% sure.
Awesome! I'd be scared to lower, but I'm interested to hear how it works out. Please update us after you do the springs. Thanks!

CTRFK8

First Name
Sauce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
A size up in side wall "35" on stock is NP, width wide i cannot say. I think one size up should be ok?

Yumi

First Name
Fujun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Type R
Country flag

Hi This YUMI
I Want Change my 2018 type r to 255/35/20
but I carry my wife that be ok or not?

izzyC-EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' BBP Type-R/20'MX-5, Recaro, Brembo, Bose/19' GLC63 Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any photos with the chunkier tires?

gaara46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 4runner
Country flag
might consider the 35 when its time. pics would be nice.

is there any noticeable price difference with the alternate size?