football76

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I do find accelerating through my 1-2 shift that I’m keeping up with traffic a little better as opposed to revving our the engine just to keep pace. Might be a bit of placebo though...
Sponsored

GTWaggin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Type R
Country flag
If I go back to stock wheels next summer, I'm going to do this. Waiting for my 18's to arrive this week.

PwrOfDreams

It ain't a Type R then it ain't a tight car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
I have tracked my car with that same brand and size. All I have to say that it’s “squiggly “ when cornering. Lots of sidewall flex. I’ll go back to the stock sizing of 245/30zr20 when I replace my worn out current set.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
thats strange traction has nothing to do with size more so with brand of tire/tread etc. Your suspension holds the line.

VypeR

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Typer
Country flag
Finally got to wash my car this weekend. Also added ZL1Addons rock guards. Very pleased with the setup.
IMG_0712.JPEG

IMG_0715.JPEG

IMG_0717.JPEG

IMG_0724.JPEG

IMG_0728.JPEG

IMG_0730.JPEG

IMG_0724.JPEG
That looks sick man, where didntou
Get the guards from?

football76

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
That looks sick man, where didntou
Get the guards from?
Guards are from ZL1 add-ons. As others have said, they're a little pricey for what they are. But they're easy to install (I did it without removing the wheels) and they do the job. My rocker panels stay much cleaner, even with the wider tires.

football76

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have tracked my car with that same brand and size. All I have to say that it’s “squiggly “ when cornering. Lots of sidewall flex. I’ll go back to the stock sizing of 245/30zr20 when I replace my worn out current set.
I'm not an engineer, but how do you know the taller sidewall plays into a "squiggly" feeling? Perhaps your tire pressures were low? I mean, look at F1. They run relatively massive sidewalls. Also, MT/Randy Pobst recently ran around willow springs with downsized wheels and taller sidewalls and ran faster times (granted they had a more aggressive compound).

I have no skin in this game though, these tires are strictly street duty for me (so a larger priority on comfort than pure performance). I have a dedicated track setup when needed.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's what i am trying to understand....Shouldnt be a difference in size of tire setup used when it comes to performance. I agree if you want to buy a Summer vs All season or whatever you would have a difference in performance , but SIZE?

PwrOfDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
I'm not an engineer, but how do you know the taller sidewall plays into a "squiggly" feeling? Perhaps your tire pressures were low? I mean, look at F1. They run relatively massive sidewalls. Also, MT/Randy Pobst recently ran around willow springs with downsized wheels and taller sidewalls and ran faster times (granted they had a more aggressive compound).

I have no skin in this game though, these tires are strictly street duty for me (so a larger priority on comfort than pure performance). I have a dedicated track setup when needed.
I daily drive my car for a while now with the stock tires and the PS4’s and I know “Squiggly” feeling when it is felt. My tire pressure is at 45 psi cold on all sides. This is not about traction. Car has plenty of traction. This is about stability and cornering precision. The handling felt softer and less precise. I have asked plenty of guys with track experience. They told me it could be the brand of tire that just have soft sidewalls or it’s the height of the sidewall that gives it too much flex when cornering. Traction is obviously better comparing 245 to a 255. Its just the cornering and stability is not as laser precise comparing one tire to the next. My car is not a garage queen and I drive the car everyday in different situations. I know if something is off especially changing out one setup to the next.
Honda Civic 10th gen 255/35/20 1E9C761E-2005-4867-82D7-F54B530F7450

Last edited:

gaara46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 4runner
Country flag
interesting reading all the input, i think i am just going to stick with stock size once these stock conti's are up. i wish i could find some nice all seasons in stock size but i dont see any on tire rack or discount. i love the big wheel/thin tire look of stock anyway

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No one is saying your feeling is invalid. We are asking you a question as to what is going on to create this feeling that you are getting when you drive the car.

football76

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I wonder if Nico felt squiggly here? :cool:

Honda Civic 10th gen 255/35/20 Mercedes F1 Rear Traction

Joking aside, I prescribe to the idea that some sidewall flex is good, it allows the tire to "conform" to the surface to maintain a larger, more optimal, contact patch. Better contact patch means higher cornering speed. Of course, too much flex is also not ideal as it means less precise steering. I imagine that's what you describe when you say squiggly. My $0.02

Last edited:

PwrOfDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
I wonder if Nico felt squiggly here? :cool:

Mercedes F1 Rear Traction.jpg

Joking aside, I prescribe to the idea that some sidewall flex is good, it allows the tire to "conform" to the surface to maintain a larger, more optimal, contact patch. Better contact patch means higher cornering speed. Of course, too much flex is also not ideal as it means less precise steering. I imagine that's what you describe when you say squiggly. My $0.02
Yup, that is what I meant. Good steering is important especially on a daily driven car. You make many left and right turns everyday. You don’t know what kind of things you try to avoid on the streets. Pot holes and bad drivers are plentiful.I almost got side swiped the other day because someone did not take a good look when changing lanes. I managed to squiggle out of the way. At that moment I wished the steering response was better. Thank goodness no accident. The abrupt swerve caused it to “squiggle” a bit. The stock size did not do this when swerving abruptly . It steered with absolute precision and control.