245/35/20 DON'T DO IT!

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
'Not as sharp turn in' sounds like less performance to me. As for not being sticky or lifting up, hadn't noticed that. No they are not as sticky as the OEM Yokohama's that came on my MR2-S, but they work very well when pushed hard through corners.
That said, may try something else when their life is up.
I asked the tire tech how long I probably had on my Conti's.
'Ten.'
'Ten what? Ten months? Ten weeks??' 'Nine...'
People mistake feeling for performance. A tiny stiff sidewall will give you great FEEL but does not necessarily perform better. There's a reason why everyone that tracks runs 18s with a 40 profile sidewall, including the CTR TCR cars.
Sponsored

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Well.....not changing the OEM tires means I can't drive the car over half the year or end up with countless bent rims, so not an option.

My 245/35/20 AS3+ setup is just fine for daily driving. They are a bit floaty compared to the contis when hitting turns + maintaining higher speed (70mph+). But the positives far outweigh the cons on these shitty roads.

Plus my summer setup is going to be 245/35/19 which should allow me to be a bit more ambitious with the temps up. I guess I could also replace the OEM set with another set of 19s.....but its honestly not that bad and I can't set backroad lap time records when the weather is colder anyway.

twelvetreeez

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R (Championship White)
Country flag
People mistake feeling for performance. A tiny stiff sidewall will give you great FEEL but does not necessarily perform better. There's a reason why everyone that tracks runs 18s with a 40 profile sidewall, including the CTR TCR cars.
This post is to discuss the differences in using taller sidewall on the FK8. (My POV)

I purchased the Falken FK510 tires a few weeks ago in a 245/35/20.

I immediately noticed the steering response was much slower but wanted to put a few miles to break in the tire. That still hasn't changed, while it is more comfortable the car lost its edge and feels off.
Most importantly the acceleration has been muted, it's not nearly as visceral when WOT in second gear.

The car just doesn't pull as hard as before. (bone stock)
After a year you know your car, and it's not placebo it's real.
Personally, the tradeoff for comfort wasn't worth it.
I'm pretty sure it's the added sidewall and small but significant increase in diameter.
The calculation in tire size online doesn't tell the whole story, there is a reason Honda used the 30 profile.
I will be looking to go back to the stock size tire within a few months.

P.S.

The tire itself is not bad, not quite as much grip as stock, but no slouch.
best choice I ever made!

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Me too! Winter set up with 245/35/20 Conti DWS. Going to put a set of Falken FK510's on for the remainder of the summer just to see how summer tires with 35 profile feel.

The 35 sidewall takes the fear out of driving on the street for me and doesn't loosen any fillings from running over an ant!
Sponsored