Never Fake Never Phony
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
This post is to discuss the differences in using taller sidewall on the FK8. (My POV)

I purchased the Falken FK510 tires a few weeks ago in a 245/35/20.

I immediately noticed the steering response was much slower but wanted to put a few miles to break in the tire. That still hasn't changed, while it is more comfortable the car lost its edge and feels off.
Most importantly the acceleration has been muted, it's not nearly as visceral when WOT in second gear.

The car just doesn't pull as hard as before. (bone stock)
After a year you know your car, and it's not placebo it's real.
Personally, the tradeoff for comfort wasn't worth it.
I'm pretty sure it's the added sidewall and small but significant increase in diameter.
The calculation in tire size online doesn't tell the whole story, there is a reason Honda used the 30 profile.
I will be looking to go back to the stock size tire within a few months.

P.S.

The tire itself is not bad, not quite as much grip as stock, but no slouch.
Sponsored

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
The Schwab's computer system had 245/45R19 as the tire size for our Malibu when the OEM size was actually 245/40R19. The increase in size messed up everything about the acceleration and handling of the car.

We took it back and made them put on the correct tire size and problem solved.

That 5% sidewall difference is a huge deal on tires this wide, especially with low profile tires on big wheels.

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
The problems that you’re noticing have much less to do with the sidewall height and much more to do with the fact that the FK510s are pretty crap tires for performance, slotting below even the Firestone Indy 500s.

Especially compared to those super sticky factory Continentals.

In 245/35/20, there are really only two choices to retain factory performance: Bridgestone RE-71R and S007A. The Michelin PS4S are a bit of a step down in ultimate track performance from these two, but still light years better than those janky FK510 Falkens.

OP
OP
itrgsr94

itrgsr94

Never Fake Never Phony
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
I don't wholly disagree, but the main point is for people considering changing the tire size, and how it affects the car.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
What is this fascination with having no sidewall? Unless you drive on the Autobahn, it's a bent wheel waiting to happen.

OP
OP
itrgsr94

itrgsr94

Never Fake Never Phony
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
What is this fascination with having no sidewall? Unless you drive on the Autobahn, it's a bent wheel waiting to happen.
That's why I increased it, but the tradeoff's were not worth it.
Honda did it for a reason, if they could have used more sidewall on the factory wheels and gotten the same performance they would have.

breakingakajav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP FK8, 91 Miata, 19 X-trek
Country flag
That's why I increased it, but the tradeoff's were not worth it.
Honda did it for a reason, if they could have used more sidewall on the factory wheels and gotten the same performance they would have.
Or you know, the fact that they developed the car at the ring so they used a tire that gave them the edge to set a lap record over using crappy 510's but you know, it's your life.

OP
OP
itrgsr94

itrgsr94

Never Fake Never Phony
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
Or you know, the fact that they developed the car at the ring so they used a tire that gave them the edge to set a lap record over using crappy 510's but you know, it's your life.
Do you have Sport Cup 2's on your R? How do they handle?

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
You went with a much less aggressive tire what were you expecting? Even at 300 I think that's a stretch. You can run a 245/35/20 no problem but use something aggressive like a RE71r you just chose a wimpy compound sadly. Has a wimpy sidewall and grip to elaborate

OP
OP
itrgsr94

itrgsr94

Never Fake Never Phony
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
You went with a much less aggressive tire what were you expecting? Even at 300 I think that's a stretch. You can run a 245/35/20 no problem but use something aggressive like a RE71r you just chose a wimpy compound sadly. Has a wimpy sidewall and grip to elaborate
For daily driving there has to be some tradeoff 200 compound wouldn't work for me.
I'm looking into the PS4S as I hear they wear fairly well given there abilities.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Fair enough, I forget I only put like 7000 miles a year on mine so tire life isn't a big deal.

Regardless going to a harder compound vs stock is always going to ruin handling and performance. I remember when the STI and EVO first came out in 04' and people were replacing tires and brakes with junk ones and wondering why stock versions were out performing them LOL

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
LoL I’ve said it once and say it over and over...get the right size and circumference.

If you want more sidewall, go down to 19” and run 245/35/19 all day every day...even faster car.

OP
OP
itrgsr94

itrgsr94

Never Fake Never Phony
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
LoL I’ve said it once and say it over and over...get the right size and circumference.

If you want more sidewall, go down to 19” and run 245/35/19 all day every day...even faster car.
Indeed!