24 below

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
here in northern Il. it's 24 degrees below zero(the actual temp,not that B.S. windchill factor, which is 50 to 60 below). so far I haven't had a problem with the car but the engine does turn over very slowly when I start it even though I keep it in the garage. Does anyone leave it outside overnight in this weather? If you do how has it been starting? It's so cold here that most companies are telling their employees to stay home. Even the post office has stopped delivering mail. It's like being on the moon. There's this strange blue haze in the air. You can't stay out more than a couple minutes.It's brutal. Takes my car 30 minutes to warm up. Many peoples home furnaces are running 24/7 and having a hard time keeping up. Kind of scary. If your furnace quits your screwed. Some are taking the filter out of their furnace so it can work better.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ridiculous! I live in Georgia and am complaining about 30 degrees.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Not nearly as cold here but temp is around 6°F here (below 0 with windchill) and my Civic started right up today, cranked a bit slower but no trouble.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Mine starts but cranks very slowly, 450 CCA may be a little weak. I'm thinking I should upgrade the battery when it's time for a replacement.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
-8f here in Central Pennsylvania this morning, now about +6, expected high today 15-17f. Gotta go to work this afternoon about 2, last night when I left work at 9pm it was 7f, Civic started up fine, took at least 5 miles to show temp on the gauge. 15 miles to get home, heater was trying, thankfully I have heated seats, they are a Godsend in this weather!!

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
-8f here in Central Pennsylvania this morning, now about +6, expected high today 15-17f. Gotta go to work this afternoon about 2, last night when I left work at 9pm it was 7f, Civic started up fine, took at least 5 miles to show temp on the gauge. 15 miles to get home, heater was trying, thankfully I have heated seats, they are a Godsend in this weather!!
I don't what I would do without the heated seats....

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
Mine starts but cranks very slowly, 450 CCA may be a little weak. I'm thinking I should upgrade the battery when it's time for a replacement.
Exactly the problem. A quality AGM replacement would do wonders for cold weather starting. If you feel like cutting a few tabs the Xs power D5100R can be fitted despite being larger than a traditional 51R battery.

The battery box is so small I haven't found a larger group size that can be made to fit. Maybe with some more thorough modding of the battery box, or maybe someone will make an aftermarket battery box to fit a larger group size.

OP
OP

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
Exactly the problem. A quality AGM replacement would do wonders for cold weather starting. If you feel like cutting a few tabs the Xs power D5100R can be fitted despite being larger than a traditional 51R battery.

The battery box is so small I haven't found a larger group size that can be made to fit. Maybe with some more thorough modding of the battery box, or maybe someone will make an aftermarket battery box to fit a larger group size.
is your S.I. coupe a 6mt? which engine does it have?

jjtheprince

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

I wonder if Odyssey makes a battery that will fit our vehicles. Those batteries are amazing, even better than Optima, I got 7 solid years of use out of one on another vehicle in this area. Most batteries barely last 3 years where I live due to the fact it can get down to 20 below zero in the winter and up over 100 degrees in the summer.

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
My car was reading -14 this morning when i left for the airport. It definately cranked slow and didnt turn over with much enthusiasm, lol. When its this cold, the clutch is resistant... it feels like its full of sludge. It suprised me the first time i lifted my foot and it came off the clutch pedal, and then there was a knock about a half second later when it fully engaged. And it took about 20 mins of driving to get the engine fully warmed up. This little engine does not warm up very fast at all.

Last edited:

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Thankfully, I haven't had any battery problems since I purchased the car 2 years ago. Even after leaving the car off for over a week, and in -7F weather here this morning. Im happy :)

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
is your S.I. coupe a 6mt? which engine does it have?
L15B7 1.5T

I wonder if Odyssey makes a battery that will fit our vehicles. Those batteries are amazing, even better than Optima, I got 7 solid years of use out of one on another vehicle in this area. Most batteries barely last 3 years where I live due to the fact it can get down to 20 below zero in the winter and up over 100 degrees in the summer.
In my Cruze, they used a modular battery box for all models that fit a group 94R battery for the diesel engine. When my battery went out I upgraded to a Northstar AGM 94R, that thing was massive. The 5 year free replacwment warranty made it worthwhile.

I was kind of hoping I could find a Northstar that would fit but there are none.

aegeanbluecivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic SGP Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I used to live is Wisconsin so I can sympathize. However now in Cali so normal weather here. Only have to deal with wildfires and earthquakes... and the ridiculous laws.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
While I love my Hatch Sport, it really is a pain in the #$@ to warm up properly in extreme weather. Never feels "comfortable" when it's this cold out ... although this cold front has been ridiculously cold.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
here in northern Il. it's 24 degrees below zero(the actual temp,not that B.S. windchill factor, which is 50 to 60 below). so far I haven't had a problem with the car but the engine does turn over very slowly when I start it even though I keep it in the garage. Does anyone leave it outside overnight in this weather? If you do how has it been starting? It's so cold here that most companies are telling their employees to stay home. Even the post office has stopped delivering mail. It's like being on the moon. There's this strange blue haze in the air. You can't stay out more than a couple minutes.It's brutal. Takes my car 30 minutes to warm up. Many peoples home furnaces are running 24/7 and having a hard time keeping up. Kind of scary. If your furnace quits your screwed. Some are taking the filter out of their furnace so it can work better.
I've lived in Michigan my whole life and the past 2 days have been a new experience. Hospitals never close, so I leave at 6am for work. Tried to drive up the parking garage ramp and failed. Backed up and my co-worker sitting in his old Nissan Sentra looked at me. Thinking WTF:hmm:, no way is he going to make it up the ramp. He easily drove up, later I found out he has snow tires on. I ended up parking 200-300 yards away from the entrance, in a parking lot. It was windy and halfway there my face hurt so bad I wanted to sprint, felt like my skin was burning. A person next to me was running to get indoors. Once I got home, my key wouldn't turn because the door knob was frozen. Thankfully my wife was home to unlock it, if she wasn't home not sure how I would have got inside the house. My car's kept at home in a garage and it's outdoors at work, never had an issue with it running. The heated seats have been life saving the past 2 days.
Sponsored

Last edited: