tde1205

First Name
Tulio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TypeR
Country flag
Just purchased a 21 Type R & the car has a major Freon leak. has anyone here had this issue with theirs? I've already been back & forth with the dealer. Currently has 900 miles on it, brand new basically.

1st visit they added Freon & Backlight Dye to find the leak.
2nd Visit they found the leak via a misplace O-Ring from the manufacture in the discharge hose - it was replaced. AC started blowing hot air & hissing noises out of the inside vents.
3rd time I take the car back, they replace the discharge hose & AC condenser. it was "fixed" & now the car is back to its original issue blowing hot air.

I am now at the point where I don't want to stress over the issue, so I got corporate involved & created a case for the issue. I definitely do not want to Lemon the car, I love the Type R. I am just posting here to see if anyone else has ran into this issue with their car? if so was in fixed properly? & does the issue remain persistent?
Sponsored

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
This car is slow to cool..It's a known issue.
How long do you leave it on, and do you have the time to let it cool down?
All you can do is take it back i know it sucks....but it hasnt happened to me yet

OP
OP
tde1205

tde1205

First Name
Tulio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TypeR
Country flag
Yes i always let the car warm up for a few minutes & the AC also but it has been acting up this week.

the car doesn't blow cold air on the driver side vents, even with the temps sync'd to low. the passenger side is slowly dying out also.

Unfortunately when I test drove the car with 5 miles on it, the AC wasn't blowing cold air. I Still purchased the car, salesman had service add Freon & that was that. I've been back & forth with the dealer on the car fixing the issue.

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I had a similar problem with my AC system on my 17' FK8. The dealer said the AC condenser was improperly installed from the factory and created a "Gap" for freon to leak out through the o-rings.

They ended up replacing mine under warranty. They also said it's a common problem on all the newer 10th Gen Honda models (not just the civic).

I have noticed the system cools slightly better, but still takes alittle bit to cool down the whole car on a really muggy day.

I would have figured by now with the 2021's, it shouldnt even be a problem anymore.???

If you have trouble getting them to warranty it, show them all the proof online and in the forums of all the bad condensers, there may also be a TSB or notice out to keep the dealers aware of the situation. This will help your case.

Good luck ander us know how u make out ?

OP
OP
tde1205

tde1205

First Name
Tulio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TypeR
Country flag
I got it under warranty, the car only has 1100 miles. Honda Corporate got me a rental & assured the issue will be fixed. lets see how long they take, i told them I don't want the car back until its fixed. It sucks that I had to deal with this issue so early with the car. I wonder if Honda will compensate me for the troubles this 2021 TypeR has given me with less then 30 days of owning the car.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Compensate you how? its a Car its not built perfect what are you looking for ?

OP
OP
tde1205

tde1205

First Name
Tulio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TypeR
Country flag
I told the Honda Case Manager working on my case that I would like all the 2021 Type R accessories for the headache this car has given me. maybe they will do it who knows but its worth a try! other then having the car repaired for the $free.99

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All the accessory pieces cost upwards of a few grand, something like free servicing might have been more likely. Sucks, and they could have been more thorough on the first search, but they are taking care of you it seems so you have less leverage to argue that you got a raw deal other than it being massively frustrating.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I told the Honda Case Manager working on my case that I would like all the 2021 Type R accessories for the headache this car has given me. maybe they will do it who knows but its worth a try! other then having the car repaired for the $free.99
Did you happen to find drugs in your new Type R?

OP
OP
tde1205

tde1205

First Name
Tulio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TypeR
Country flag
All the accessory pieces cost upwards of a few grand, something like free servicing might have been more likely. Sucks, and they could have been more thorough on the first search, but they are taking care of you it seems so you have less leverage to argue that you got a raw deal other than it being massively frustrating.
I have 2 years of free service from the original dealer. I wouldn't mind a new shift knob or a set of door visors for my troubles ):

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have 2 years of free service from the original dealer. I wouldn't mind a new shift knob or a set of door visors for my troubles ):
I get where you are coming from! Just "all the accessories" includes a lot of pricey carbon bits that will just turn them off from giving it out of goodwill, but a shift knob/visors might slide.

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
You have a loaner free of charge, what more could you need out of this? Every new car has warranties for this reason, as stuff inevitably will need to be fixed from the factory. I have found over the years, being greedy will get you nowhere. Why should Honda compensate you for your “troubles?” Being a decent human being and cordial with the dealership will only payoff in the long run. You wanting free stuff is part of the reason why dealerships tend to be assholes to customers.

OP
OP
tde1205

tde1205

First Name
Tulio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TypeR
Country flag
You have a loaner free of charge, what more could you need out of this? Every new car has warranties for this reason, as stuff inevitably will need to be fixed from the factory. I have found over the years, being greedy will get you nowhere. Why should Honda compensate you for your “troubles?” Being a decent human being and cordial with the dealership will only payoff in the long run. You wanting free stuff is part of the reason why dealerships tend to be assholes to customers.
you are right, I shouldn't be greedy.

they found the issue, the "sniffer" found a leak in the evaporator. which means they have to remove the dash in order to replace it.

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
If indeed that is the issue, don't be greedy. The people working on your car will remember you. Last thing you want is a discount/free stuff, and then nightmares going forward. I wouldn't demand anything. (unless someone really screwed something up)

Enjoy your car after they fix it, there isn't anything to be upset about or demand freebies. They're cars, each will be made slightly more different than the next. Each will have various "flaws". If you received 2 years of free "service", leave it at that. Take your own oil in and get it changed as needed etc.

My AC takes a few minutes to get cool, but I see the size of parts being used for it. Likewise, you should move to Wisconsin. 9 months of the year, you hope the heater works. :)...then again, no overheating issues ever.
Sponsored