2023 Nissan Z

jabberwocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GRolla/Pilot/Tacoma
If reliability is a concern, I wouldn't be too worried about it with the B58. It was a sort of joint venture between BMW and Toyota and has been in service for about 5 years now with many 740iL, 540i, 340i etc approaching 60k+ miles without much of a hitch. The fact BMW underrates their engines' power is even more icing on the cake. It really does look like BMW hit a home run with their modular engine layout in the B48 and B58. However, Supra does lack the manual the new Z has, which is a dealbreaker to me.
It's still a BMW with a Supra nameplate. It handles well, has good acceleration, brakes hard, and breaks hard.

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/bmw-toyota-supra-recall-power-brakes/
Sponsored

chrisspeedy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
It looks like this is going to be one, fun car to drive especially with manual. The competition is on, the car looks promising because of its great features.

racerguy180

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Acura Integra GS-R 2001 Acura Integra GS 2014 Acura MDX Advance
Country flag
I am sooooooooo freakin down for the new Z. Yellow with blue int with performance pack. I mean who doesn't like blue interiors???

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Little stuff like that, the details that is, makes me wonder what else got over looked... I'm so glad I don't buy into hype being highly skeptical of literally everything.
It gives me a piece of mind that Toyota has their name on it so I’m sure they had some bmw parts reworked or reinforced so I don’t think it’ll break down or anything like that any time soon. But you’re right about small details being over looked is bad. It is literally a bmw with maybe 1 part aside from the badge that is Toyota. All in all, I prefer the Nissan Z. It actually looks like a modern meets old school z. Supra doesn’t even look or hint at the old Supra’s what so ever. I know the aftermarket are offering badges and taillights that match the older ones, but it’s not out of the factory like the Z is. The Supra is a great platform though. Makes ridiculous power off of simple mods and a tune.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I would have been OK with Fairlady as there’s some historical significance to it.
Why do I have a feeling that if they named it fairlady Z here in the states that someone would bring up some gender shit and be like why does it have to be a lady lol.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why do I have a feeling that if they named it fairlady Z here in the states that someone would bring up some gender shit and be like why does it have to be a lady lol.
??‍♂ Some might, but Fairlady Z might also be considered a compliment because, historically, the nomenclature has been applied to a well-loved car, which means folks might defend the name as a badge of honor.

More abstractly, I think your opinion is important, but I wonder why you stated the issue as “gender shit”. If other folks advocated on behalf of your own identity so you could feel confident in your own skin, how would you feel? Raising objections to historically-oppressive gender-based pronouns (e.g., fireman) might actually allow everyone to shift their perspective, and language, to include bada$$e$ of all kinds (e.g., firefighter).

Just my $0.02.

SichuanHot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
It's still a BMW with a Supra nameplate. It handles well, has good acceleration, brakes hard, and breaks hard.

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/bmw-toyota-supra-recall-power-brakes/
Expecting to pay peanuts for repairs and upkeep for any high performance sports car is naive. The small brake recall isn't an engine related issue. B48 and B58 are proving to be reliable powerplants with the usual teething issues. CTR has its heat soak and the Si had the fuel dilution and AC issues. First model year cars of any new platform are bound to have problems and this brake one is pretty minor. I'd be more pissed if I had gotten one of the launch edition Supras that on paper has an engine tuned for less power than the newer model years.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Type R / GR 86 killer if they can keep the base model under $39k as suggested by MotorTrend. Let’s hope curb weight will be under 3400 lbs. Base trim won’t get LSD ?
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2023-nissan-z-trim-comparison-sport-vs-performance/
base trim never got LSD in the Z so thats not surprising. It will be an easy fix though.
I'm just glad they got rid of the viscous and put a real diff in there.

as far as weight, they said its going to be similar to the current model so itll probably be around that weight. i expect it to be in the 33-3500 lb range.
what made the 370z feel much heavier than its weight was the flywheel and how slow it was to rev. A lightweight flywheel makes the car feel much lighter on its feet. I hope the new Z doesnt have a heavy flywheel in there cause itll feel heavier than it is just like the 370.

i also wish it was a little louder. the car definitely is gonna need an exhaust.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
If the base model is rocking 400hp then even at 40k it'll have amazing hp/cost ratio.

racerguy180

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Having worked for BMW(Motorrad) I would never buy any of their products 2 or 4 wheeled. The amount of seals that leak and require $$$$ to fix a .40cent part.
Don't even get me started on their special tools. I was excited about the Supra until BMW was involved. Toyota freakin made the GR Yaris without anyone's help, but they couldn't do it for the Supra....? It makes me wonder what compromises Toyota had to make for BMW to build their "Halo" car, says a ton about their corporate identity. With the BRZ/FRS/GR86 it's a great car for all involved and didn't compromise(except in the power dept).

I'm glad Nissan had the balls to do it the right way. I hope that Mr. K would be proud!

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
It gives me a piece of mind that Toyota has their name on it so I’m sure they had some bmw parts reworked or reinforced so I don’t think it’ll break down or anything like that any time soon. But you’re right about small details being over looked is bad. It is literally a bmw with maybe 1 part aside from the badge that is Toyota. All in all, I prefer the Nissan Z. It actually looks like a modern meets old school z. Supra doesn’t even look or hint at the old Supra’s what so ever. I know the aftermarket are offering badges and taillights that match the older ones, but it’s not out of the factory like the Z is. The Supra is a great platform though. Makes ridiculous power off of simple mods and a tune.
The thing that upsets me about the Supra is that it prevents a new Z4 coupe from existing. I still don’t get why Toyota partnered white BMW when they had the Lexus LC and RF they could use as a basis for a new Supra. It doesn’t make the least bit of sense.

SichuanHot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Having worked for BMW(Motorrad) I would never buy any of their products 2 or 4 wheeled. The amount of seals that leak and require $$$$ to fix a .40cent part.
Don't even get me started on their special tools. I was excited about the Supra until BMW was involved. Toyota freakin made the GR Yaris without anyone's help, but they couldn't do it for the Supra....? It makes me wonder what compromises Toyota had to make for BMW to build their "Halo" car, says a ton about their corporate identity. With the BRZ/FRS/GR86 it's a great car for all involved and didn't compromise(except in the power dept).

I'm glad Nissan had the balls to do it the right way. I hope that Mr. K would be proud!
The older BMW engines aren't that bad. M series engines are all pretty robust. For modern engines, N55 and up seem to also be pretty good. That being said the Supra should have come in a manual option. It is a bit unfortunate Toyota had work with other car manufacturers to produce their RWD sports cars but at least we have fun sports cars. That new Lexus IS500 is looking mighty appealing though.

racerguy180

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The fact that the RC/LC exist shows that Toyota could most definitely have succeeded on their own. They chose the easy way, last time I checked the easy way is an easy way to lose customers.
Sponsored