2023 Civic Type R Officially Revealed! Will Be Made in Japan!

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
I feel a lot of people are looking at this car being MSRP + ADM. And when you look at it that way - it makes sense to keep what you currently have. As for styling - I like the front - looks a lot better than the FK8 but it doesn't have that same 'coolness' from the rear or side. Overall though - how many of you would trade in your current FK8 for the new gen if you could score it at MSRP?
Sponsored

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
(When I say alcantara I mean suede below)

Changes some may or may not talk about:

- they spent a lot of time with the tires in all conditions, and researched the best tire size
- the car is lower, wider, and longer
- the rim has a reverse lip and an interesting right angle valve, and is a ā€œlight weightā€ inspired design (aka might not actually be light weight but inspired to beā€¦, donā€™t shoot the messenger)
- new turbo, and a plenum, intake box seems smaller
- supposedly the turbo and engine were tuned for more drivability aka Mazda like mid range torque, and throttle sensitivity was tuned in all modes
- air is now pushed out of hood at the top vent
- they spent time on the rear diffuser, so much so it allowed them to have a more reserved spoiler
- there is a carbon option for the spoiler, with a more aggressive profile, including under the spoiler having a perforation to improve air flow
- there is a steering wheel option of alcantara
- red mirror cap option on all color models
- type-r logo ground illumination
- factory carbon overlay for center console, doors etc
- wireless charging
- shift knob option of leather
- almost forgot there is ungodly amount of room in front of the turbo I could fit my dog on the space - almost had s2k vibes
- Intercooler looks the same, and you can fit a giant one in the space but youā€™ll have to cut some surrounds
- exact same brakes as the refresh fk8,
- engineers actually thought the fk8 was the last and from a performance standpoint they didnā€™t think it could be improved upon as the general direction of the new civic was ā€œmore civilityā€ in driving engagement and design. Thus a lot of time was spent to differentiate it.
- the seats, all new material and color. Full suede , embossed and punched rather than partial. Padding material also changed due to being full suede. Lower seat bolster is lower and angles out than up, this seems to be the criticism people are observing. The rear is not full plastic to save weight and cost.
- red carpeting is nice and overkill at the same time, itā€™s going to get real dirty fast
- new scoring app in car to measure accel, braking, corner force etcā€¦ and shareable on the internet
- a new tire view (in LogR?) I think it shows tire force (lateral and driving vectors) in real time for each tire - I donā€™t know I was having a hard time talking, listening, writing, and translating (again so much engineering time spent on tires, major point engineers kept making, I swear if they talk about it more Iā€™m going to kick the tires)
- oh the hood is unique to the car (I know you know that already)
- no piano black interior but gray flat metallic overlays
- plus R mode button rather than toggle switch even though there is oneā€¦ might be possible to go from comfort to R and back without intermediate sport.
- display shows 1.6bar max for the turbo in R mode
- rear of suede steering wheel looks a little matted, just saying.
- 7k redline

Iā€™ll be honest I like my FK8 better. The only thing Iā€™d want are the hood, the space in front of the turbo, and larger front vents. All which can be done aftermarket.
Isn't the space in front of the turbo where the hood scoop is?It seems it's right there which will extract the hott air from the turbo out.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si coupe, 2021 SGP Type R
- almost forgot there is ungodly amount of room in front of the turbo I could fit my dog on the space - almost had s2k vibes
Yeah, we noticed that when the new 22 Si came out. Honda moved the engine backwards to make room in the front and changed the turbo as well.

To add to your points:
- runs on regular gas
- it has an exhaust valve on the center pipe controlled by driving mode

I'd want that R+ instrument panel šŸ˜…

VashTheStampede

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, FK7, EG2
Country flag
I feel a lot of people are looking at this car being MSRP + ADM. And when you look at it that way - it makes sense to keep what you currently have. As for styling - I like the front - looks a lot better than the FK8 but it doesn't have that same 'coolness' from the rear or side. Overall though - how many of you would trade in your current FK8 for the new gen if you could score it at MSRP?
I would 100% buy one at MSRP if I can trade my 2020 in for current market trade value. Iā€™d make $5k just from the trade in and swap alone. Now, if theyā€™re the same, I canā€™t say without driving it - for me, the FK8 R is exactly the car I wanted to build 20 years ago - I donā€™t know what about the experience they could improve for me. Americans tend to be awful when it comes to car taste, so Iā€™ve found that whenever Honda designs something that all Americans will ā€œlikeā€, I generally hate it - and making this car bigger, sleeker, more powerful and firmer, negates my interest in light, nimble, and quick.

As an example, I much preferred my AP1 death trap spin machine to the AP2 because it was more engaging and was built without concern for what the average consumer wants.

bring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 CW
Country flag
how many of you would trade in your current FK8 for the new gen if you could score it at MSRP?
I would demand a test drive first, and if I like it then decide if I want something more vanilla. Iā€™m guessing no (mineā€˜s not a daily driver). Also assuming owning previous gen gives me leverage for a test drive.

Mr. X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R #45600
Country flag
I'll keep it šŸ’Æ ...I would! lol

Gabbman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2017 Range Rover HSE
Country flag
I like the red carpets and some of the inside design. With that said the exterior is just too plain for my taste. The reason I love my fk8 is because of its bold in your face styling.

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
I would demand a test drive first, and if I like it then decide if I want something more vanilla. Iā€™m guessing no (mineā€˜s not a daily driver). Also assuming owning previous gen gives me leverage for a test drive.
More than likely - the dealer would do something like - 'lets discuss numbers and pretty much agree to the price of car/financing etc etc' - then look to allow a test drive. I feel that most dealers will treat these like Lambos and be very selective of who gets to test drive one. Shame when you think about it bc it goes against everything that we all do when buying a car - I remember when I was looking at a MK7.5R - the guy wouldn't even let me test drive it till we agreed on numbers etc etc. They were hard to find as well so the price was MSRP and not budging (this was PREpandemic as well) - that whole experience was a total turn off for me

Ultimately drove a GTI and a used GolfR (the DCT in the R) - while I did like the car and whatnot - I just felt like the R was going to need some mods to make it 'stiffer' when driving. Oh well - right now-I would LOVE to score a CTR as a daily and keep my current Z as a project car to do dumb shit to but we will see how prices and how things play out when the car market bubble pops and the new CTR is driving the older CTR prices down.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
I wonder if/how much this will effect the new CTR:
"Honda to cut output by up to 30% at Japan plants on supply snag"

ShaneAnigans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type-R
Country flag
I like the technical improvements and the new gauge cluster and driving modes and all that, but the way they've toned down the styling leaves me a bit sad. Don't get me wrong, if I didn't already have an FK8, I'd probably buy one and love it all to bits, but having a special car that also looks special is something I've been enjoying a lot this past year. Making a Type-R that looks like a fast Audi sort of defies the point.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wonder if/how much this will effect the new CTR:
"Honda to cut output by up to 30% at Japan plants on supply snag"
Directly proportional to ADM. šŸ™„

Quote me.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
More than likely - the dealer would do something like - 'lets discuss numbers and pretty much agree to the price of car/financing etc etc' - then look to allow a test drive. I feel that most dealers will treat these like Lambos and be very selective of who gets to test drive one. Shame when you think about it bc it goes against everything that we all do when buying a car - I remember when I was looking at a MK7.5R - the guy wouldn't even let me test drive it till we agreed on numbers etc etc. They were hard to find as well so the price was MSRP and not budging (this was PREpandemic as well) - that whole experience was a total turn off for me

Ultimately drove a GTI and a used GolfR (the DCT in the R) - while I did like the car and whatnot - I just felt like the R was going to need some mods to make it 'stiffer' when driving. Oh well - right now-I would LOVE to score a CTR as a daily and keep my current Z as a project car to do dumb shit to but we will see how prices and how things play out when the car market bubble pops and the new CTR is driving the older CTR prices down.
Shame is, the gas guys and the oil change/car wash guys have beat the shit out of it-that extra 10-15 miles on the odometer weren't easy ones, for sure.
Sponsored