2023 Civic Type R Officially Revealed! Will Be Made in Japan!

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Curious as well - I had a 2019 and now 2021 and both were rock solid / are rock solid currently. I dunno I think anyone that gets to build a Type R would have some pride in it, so I think these ones built in England are just as good as Japanese built ones imo.
Only time will tell
Sponsored

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
Front looks phenomenal. Rear is ehhh. Regardless, I'm sure the mark-ups are going to price me out of the market anyways.
Thereā€™s no way they can ever screwup the front and besides thereā€™s that Big Red Type R badge to hid any ugliness.

Now looking at it from the front side view is another story. It screams 10th Gen Accord and CRV at the same time.

Someone at the Honda team really has a lot of influence adding that šŸ³-head type look. šŸ™„

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
I like it. Canā€™t say im a big fan of the interior other than the seats and the gauge cluster. I do like the interior of the FK8 better. I like the fact that they got rid of all the fake plaster vents. I hope they fix the 1st to 2nd gear grind that plague the 10th gen type r. Iā€™m getting it now more than ever whenever I drive it and its extremely annoying.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I like it. Canā€™t say im a big fan of the interior other than the seats and the gauge cluster. I do like the interior of the FK8 better. I like the fact that they got rid of all the fake plaster vents. I hope they fix the 1st to 2nd gear grind that plague the 10th gen type r. Iā€™m getting it now more than ever whenever I drive it and its extremely annoying.
Try adjusting your clutch master cylinder - you can do it in your driveway with hand tools! That's not normal but is sometimes fixable...

Jebuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CBP Type R
Country flag
Try adjusting your clutch master cylinder - you can do it in your driveway with hand tools! That's not normal but is sometimes fixable...
Any DIY guides out there? This has been an issue for me

CbusHondaFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Si TW, 2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
The front of the 2023 doesn't looks as aggressive as the FK8 plus what's the deal with no fog lights?!?!? Daytime running LED strip doesn't looks as cool as it does on the FK8. The back of the front seats is clad in this awful looking, cheap black cloth. FK8 has a contoured, hard backside that looks so much better. The steering wheel looks so plain and cheap compared to the FK8. No alcantara, no red leather inserts, no flat-bottom! I guess I'll have to see what they look like in person but the front seats don't look all that good to me. The FK8 seats are perfection with the shape and the choice of colors/materials. These new seats are too plain looking plus the cut outs by the headrests are just black plastic (cheap looking too) whereas in the FK8 at least they look like metal, even though it's also probably plastic. But visually the FK8 seats just look so much sexier!

Last edited:

VashTheStampede

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, FK7, EG2
Country flag
Got any examples ? What month was your car made in?
March 2020 - there are hilarious paint drips on the back doors and door handles, no finish at all (bare zinc) in large swaths of the engine bay, the main ground threaded hole was filled with a glob of paint which killed the body ground, the rubber trim on the doors isnā€™t fitted correctly like my 18 FK7, etc. The mechanicals and interior are flawless, but the fit and finish are the worst Iā€™ve seen on a production car. Itā€™s completely inferior to my wifeā€™s 2018 Civic, so Iā€™m chalking it up to the pandemic.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Considering i bought my daughter 2 months ago a 22 base corolla for 26k(OTD)for college and they had a used 2020 civic sport for 32k. Who knows what dealers will do.

i can see a base price at msrp for 45k for the new kid on the block. With normal adm which is now the standard for any car id bet 60 to 70k with adm.

potential buyers bring your lube or knee pads to get a good deal. šŸ¤£
That is bonkers! Good on the Corolla, you can give her some extra gas money. I knew prices are crazy but jeez I mean itā€™s just not worth paying that kind of markup at all.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
(When I say alcantara I mean suede below)

Changes some may or may not talk about:

- they spent a lot of time with the tires in all conditions, and researched the best tire size
- the car is lower, wider, and longer
- the rim has a reverse lip and an interesting right angle valve, and is a ā€œlight weightā€ inspired design (aka might not actually be light weight but inspired to beā€¦, donā€™t shoot the messenger)
- new turbo, and a plenum, intake box seems smaller
- supposedly the turbo and engine were tuned for more drivability aka Mazda like mid range torque, and throttle sensitivity was tuned in all modes
- air is now pushed out of hood at the top vent
- they spent time on the rear diffuser, so much so it allowed them to have a more reserved spoiler
- there is a carbon option for the spoiler, with a more aggressive profile, including under the spoiler having a perforation to improve air flow
- there is a steering wheel option of alcantara
- red mirror cap option on all color models
- type-r logo ground illumination
- factory carbon overlay for center console, doors etc
- wireless charging
- shift knob option of leather
- almost forgot there is ungodly amount of room in front of the turbo I could fit my dog on the space - almost had s2k vibes
- Intercooler looks the same, and you can fit a giant one in the space but youā€™ll have to cut some surrounds
- exact same brakes as the refresh fk8,
- engineers actually thought the fk8 was the last and from a performance standpoint they didnā€™t think it could be improved upon as the general direction of the new civic was ā€œmore civilityā€ in driving engagement and design. Thus a lot of time was spent to differentiate it.
- the seats, all new material and color. Full suede , embossed and punched rather than partial. Padding material also changed due to being full suede. Lower seat bolster is lower and angles out than up, this seems to be the criticism people are observing. The rear is not full plastic to save weight and cost.
- red carpeting is nice and overkill at the same time, itā€™s going to get real dirty fast
- new scoring app in car to measure accel, braking, corner force etcā€¦ and shareable on the internet
- a new tire view (in LogR?) I think it shows tire force (lateral and driving vectors) in real time for each tire - I donā€™t know I was having a hard time talking, listening, writing, and translating (again so much engineering time spent on tires, major point engineers kept making, I swear if they talk about it more Iā€™m going to kick the tires)
- oh the hood is unique to the car (I know you know that already)
- no piano black interior but gray flat metallic overlays
- plus R mode button rather than toggle switch even though there is oneā€¦ might be possible to go from comfort to R and back without intermediate sport.
- display shows 1.6bar max for the turbo in R mode
- rear of suede steering wheel looks a little matted, just saying.
- 7k redline

Iā€™ll be honest I like my FK8 better. The only thing Iā€™d want are the hood, the space in front of the turbo, and larger front vents. All which can be done aftermarket.
Sponsored