• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2022 Si review after 1st 1,500 miles

Kjcapps21

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
I picked up my 11th Gen black Si back in July and have had it for about 5 weeks now. I've owned 2 other Si's (2010 and 2014) before this one. This one is by far the best one I've owned and/or driven. That is saying a lot considering how much I loved my '14 coupe. Let me clear one thing up and say I won't be doing a lot of mods to this one. I'm married, with 2 daughters (ages 1 and 4) and I just really wanted a vehicle that makes sense economically and also a lot of fun to drive. This car checks both of those boxes easily. Here's all my pros and cons in no particular order that I've seen so far.

PROS:

MPG- I do a pretty even balance of highway and city driving. I work in Memphis and live just outside the city. I've been averaging right at 31 MPG which is a huge upgrade from my Chevy Colorado that got about 16.

Stick shift- As I'm sure everyone has seen or watched all the reviews, this stick shift is one of the best I have ever driven. Shifting gears in this car is everything you want in a manual transmission. You immediately feel sorry for anyone that says they don't know how to drive a stick. There were some complaints in reviews about the clutch being too loose but I think it feels just right. Those 10% shorter throws are noticeable and is just a blast drive no matter what you are doing.

Engine- I know the 10th gen had more horsepower but the horsepower in this one is on par with the other 2 Si's I have owned. Having said that, this car has plenty of horsepower for what I am using it for. The biggest difference is the torque, which is noticeably higher than previous generations. Like, this is not something you can see on paper but not feel. This car has some get up to it and I love it! The rev hang is there a little but it's nothing like what my 14' had.

Drive modes- So it's got normal, sport, and individual drive modes. Sport mode tightens up the steering and has quicker throttle response. I was surprised that most reviews I watched, claimed they could not tell much of a difference in sport mode besides the steering. Someone on here hopefully can back me up, but I can tell a substantial difference in the engine whenever I shift in sport mode, especially as the car is more broken in now. (it had 2 miles when I picked it up).

Comfort- As I said, I have a family and wanted something that was fun to drive for me but also could haul the family around. My wife has a Honda pilot that we would use for any long trips but just around town on the weekend we always take my car. My girls have plenty of room in the backseat with their car seats. A big upgrade from my crew cab truck which had very limited leg room and I had to recline my seat up (I'm only 5'7") whenever my girls rode with me. The front seat is super comfortable to me and I love how the seat swallows you up.

Interior- I was afraid that once I saw the interior in person, that it would look "cheap". When I sat in the car the first time I immediately knew I was wrong. I think the honeycomb grilling looks sharp and love the big touch screen (with a combo of physical buttons and touch screen). Everything is easily accessible and has a good feel to it.

auto rev matching- Didn't know how I would feel about this one. Thought it would be a cool feature to have but would probably turn off. Spoiler alert, I won't be turning it off. Downshifting into a curve and feeling those RPM's kick up is a beautiful thing and will admit that it does it much better than I can. Still though, for those that still want to heel-toe, this feature can easily be turned off.

bose sound system- I mean, my god. I feel like Honda's always have a good stock sound system in their cars, but this one is by far the best. My 4 year old is getting well versed on the "90's station" and "Lithium" on XM sirius.

CONS: I have a few on here, but honestly this is just minor crap that I'm finding and felt the need to put on here.

The first thing I want to point out is that I've seen a lot people complaining about "clicking" noises in the interior. This made me nervous but I seriously have been actively listening for any clicking noises and have yet find any in the first 1,500 miles. I don't know what that means but I'm hoping it doesn't start up after typing this.

Apple car play: Very minor, but sometimes my phone doesn't connect when I get in my car. It's a simple fix as turning off blue tooth on phone and then back on again. Also, my truck had apple car play as well, and whenever I was actually plugged in, there was no lag whenever you pushed a button on your phone. There would only be a lag whenever you were wireless. In my car, if doesn't seem to matter if I'm plugged in or just wireless. It still lags when skipping songs or anything else.

Engine shut off: So my wife's Pilot has this feature so I've been used to it before I got my Si. I don't know why but it's just super annoying in this car and I pretty much turn it off as soon as I start my car up.

Shift lights: Look, I don't have to have these in the car. My '14 had them and I hear they are in the Canadian Si's this year. I just thought it was a cool feature and I'm bitter about it.

Lack of spare tire: This one is out for debate. I've never had a car that did not come with a spare. I know it has the tire repair kit but I would just feel better about having a spare.

Ride: The car is stiffer than previous generations and that has positive as well as negative things about it. I like how it rides and would not change what they did to it, but I will say if the road is not in the best shape, it does not ride as good and you feel all the stiffness in a bad way. I have the all weather tires and again if the road is not great, the road noise can be a little high.

In conclusion, I had missed my '14 Si coupe ever since I traded it in. I had seemingly outgrown it, but with this new generation Si, the car has grown up with me (as i've posted in another thread). It's the perfect car for where I am in this stage of life and I'm so happy I got one again.

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022 Si review after 1st 1,500 miles Si

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022 Si review after 1st 1,500 miles Si interior

11th Gen Honda Civic 2022 Si review after 1st 1,500 miles Si Ho
Sponsored

Mad

First Name
MM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
e90 335i, 2018 HB Sport
Out of curiosity, what do you think of the paint quality? I'm debating on getting an Si as a DD and was in between white & black colors. A dealer around me has a Black one in transit that I'm willing to take a look at but I don't know how the paint quality is and what kind of care/maintenance the paint will require.

Awesome write up, enjoy the car in good health.

OP
OP
Kjcapps21

Kjcapps21

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
Out of curiosity, what do you think of the paint quality? I'm debating on getting an Si as a DD and was in between white & black colors. A dealer around me has a Black one in transit that I'm willing to take a look at but I don't know how the paint quality is and what kind of care/maintenance the paint will require.

Awesome write up, enjoy the car in good health.
I wanted either a black one or the sonic grey pearl. My dealer was only getting a black one so I went with that. I've washed it a few time already and haven't noticed any problems with the paint so far. I have seen a few threads on people unhappy with the paint quality of the 11th gen but it's only been a few. Haven't seen anything yet that has made me think the quality was bad.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
I live in Indianapolis, but my GF lived in Memphis for a little over two years getting her masters degree at UoM. I visited a handful of times in my 2017 Si. I don’t have an 11th gen Si, but I can say for certain that the roads in Memphis are ROUGH. Maybe even worse than Michigan…

If the 11th gen really is stiffer than the 10th gen, I can see that being a serious compromise living in that area. It’s definitely a place i’d favor a car with a softer suspension and larger road presence for those skinny-laned, broken concrete roads. A lot of steep driveway/parking lot entrances as well that i had to take at an angle to avoid scraping.

OP
OP
Kjcapps21

Kjcapps21

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
I live in Indianapolis, but my GF lived in Memphis for a little over two years getting her masters degree at UoM. I visited a handful of times in my 2017 Si. I don’t have an 11th gen Si, but I can say for certain that the roads in Memphis are ROUGH. Maybe even worse than Michigan…

If the 11th gen really is stiffer than the 10th gen, I can see that being a serious compromise living in that area. It’s definitely a place i’d favor a car with a softer suspension and larger road presence for those skinny-laned, broken concrete roads. A lot of steep driveway/parking lot entrances as well that i had to take at an angle to avoid scraping.
I totally agree with you about the roads in Memphis. Luckily after living here for awhile I at least know what roads to try to avoid. I just took my first long (ish) trip with it to my hometown of Fayetteville, AR (about 5 hours). It was awesome driving on those roads and got 38mpg.

OP
OP
Kjcapps21

Kjcapps21

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
Nice review. Thanks for the info. Still curious how the auto shutoff works in a manual. Didn’t know they had this.
So my wife's Honda Pilot has it too which is an automatic. I don't mind it in her car. If you are in stop and go traffic, it will shut off when you initially stop but when you start moving again and stopping in traffic, it won't shut off again. In my Si, when you shift into neutral and come to a stop, it will shut off. No big deal, but in stop and go traffic, it will shut off every single time you move forward a little and stop. I always just turn it off or since i usually shift into sport mode, that automatically disables it.

HansJr

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.freelifefilms.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
So my wife's Honda Pilot has it too which is an automatic. I don't mind it in her car. If you are in stop and go traffic, it will shut off when you initially stop but when you start moving again and stopping in traffic, it won't shut off again. In my Si, when you shift into neutral and come to a stop, it will shut off. No big deal, but in stop and go traffic, it will shut off every single time you move forward a little and stop. I always just turn it off or since i usually shift into sport mode, that automatically disables it.
My wife’s pilot does it too. I hate it. But I live in Sofla so our AC is always on High and I guess that’s a disabling option also.
So when you are in stop and go traffic and you are in gear and foot on the clutch it shuts off. Or only does auto shutoff in neutral? I guess I’ll be finding out at the end of next month. Sounds kind of annoying.

OP
OP
Kjcapps21

Kjcapps21

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si
My wife’s pilot does it too. I hate it. But I live in Sofla so our AC is always on High and I guess that’s a disabling option also.
So when you are in stop and go traffic and you are in gear and foot on the clutch it shuts off. Or only does auto shutoff in neutral? I guess I’ll be finding out at the end of next month. Sounds kind of annoying.
It only shuts off in neutral. If you have it in gear and clutch engaged, it won't shut off. While in neutral the engine kicks back on as soon as you push the clutch in.
Sponsored