2022 Honda HR-V Redesign Spied

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hadn't seen this brought up. But the (expected as a 2022 model) redesigned HRV has been spotted a few times.

Autoblog has an article here

While I'm not a crossover enthusiast... looks like honda is trying to spice up the modest little HRV. Here's hoping they drop in the civics 2.0 base engine, or even offer the 1.5T (which they do in other markets). Styling looks to be a pretty bold departure, and the overall shape appears to take a lot of design inspiration from honda's SUV-e concept revealed a while back. The overall shape appears to mimic it pretty closely, with what even looks like a similar full width taillight design. It's also giving me a touch of hyundai vibes....

If honda can make the new HRV as functionally useable as the current car, while injecting a bit of soul into its design and performance while keeping it affordable, they'll have a hit.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2022 Honda HR-V Redesign Spied 2021-Honda-HRV-Vezel-front-three-quarters-spy-shot
Honda Civic 10th gen 2022 Honda HR-V Redesign Spied 2022-Honda-HR-V-SUV-camo-Date_aHikarin-1001x565-1
Honda Civic 10th gen 2022 Honda HR-V Redesign Spied honda-suv-econcept_100763006_l

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It looks a little bigger too? The current one isn't too much larger than a hatch, or at least feels that way from the outside. Of course it's much higher. I could see it getting the 1.5T and the CRV bumping up to the Accord's 2.0T, both of which would probably be welcomed by most.

OP
OP
RobbJK88

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It looks a little bigger too? The current one isn't too much larger than a hatch, or at least feels that way from the outside. Of course it's much higher. I could see it getting the 1.5T and the CRV bumping up to the Accord's 2.0T, both of which would probably be welcomed by most.
I'm sure it probably has grown a bit. They expect it will still ride on a Fit platform to allow for the magic seats, but i'm sure an inch here and there has found it's way in.

I agree the 1.5T would be the best for this car, and the fact its offered in other markets already. Even if they used the 2.0n/a from the civic as a base engine and offered the 1.5T on upper trims. I think now that the CRV comes standard with the 1.5T, a detuned 2.0T would be a good option for the top most trims as well. The CRV is the only crossover that doesn't have a range topping Elite trim, I think it'd make sense to offer a 2.0T on a touring and elite trim for the CRV.

However, it's also important to remember honda's dedication to future electrification. I think in the next couple years as these new redesigns start coming out, we are going to see some new powertrain combinations, possible mating the turbo setups to mild hybrid systems, or expanding the use of the n/a systems already in the accord, crv, insight, etc. This new HR-V could debut a new hybrid powertrain setup.

edit* In fact... in an article by CarBuzz about the 11th gen CTR... Honda stated that it will be one of the last examples of a purely gasoline car.... starting in 2022 (originally 2025 was the goal) ALL new hondas will have some sort of hybrid or electric variant (meaning gas models will continue on lower trims most likely, with upper trims getting hybrid and electric options, until they fully shift to electric at some point)

Last edited:

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They could throw in the base Civic's 1.5T vs the CRV's beefier version but that wouldn't be a huge difference between the two then. What with all the more powerful SUVs coming out, Honda might want to give both a bump in power to keep them more relevant. The CRV might still sell just on the nameplate and being a bit bigger, but differentiation between the two in relative size and power would be best IMO.

They already have a CRV Hybrid that's separate from the gas powered one and offers three trims, EX EX-L and Touring. The Accord is the same, albeit offering an additional lower trim just called Hybrid. I imagine the same would happen to the HR-V, of course the plan could shift towards high end trims being all hybrids but I think for the near future they will offer hybrids and gas powered side by side in matching trims.

OP
OP
RobbJK88

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Turns out, this isn't OUR HR-V in the USA... this is going to be an Asia/Europe only HR-V/Vezel model. Honda revealed this model the other day, riding on the new Fit platform and using a version of that hybrid system.

The US (and I assume Canada) will get a different design all together, possibly placing it on the Civic platform rather than the new Fit platform, since they discontinued the Fit here. Design of the car will mostly likely take a more rugged design route rather than the fastback sporty design for Europe/Asia. The redesigned model is expected to be released later this year as a 2022 model, so shouldn't be long before we get more details/possible prototype reveal.

A bit bummed we aren't getting the sportier looking HRV... based on what I've seen, it's decent looking, and the US version will most likely be bigger, boxier, and less unique looking. I read an interview with one of Honda's designers talking about how their SUV/CUV lineup would be going a more rugged route, starting with the more truck-ish looking Ridgeline update. Honda feels it is missing out on sales by making its crossovers too carlike, and we may see the whole lineup take a decidedly "faux off-road" look going forward.

Personally, I agree the Ridgeline, Pilot, Passport need to go more rugged looking and less minivan. But I'd prefer a more car-like/sportier vibe for the HR-V and CR-V. I'm also a big fan of the idea of Honda bringing back the Element name to slot between the HR and CR as a "rugged off-road ready" lifestyle vehicle, like Ford has done with the Escape vs the new Bronco Sport.
Sponsored