MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
You mean 15-20 years before a feasible change has been made to the development/design structure that will be profitable despite the fact that regulations and standards will be different in 15-20 years.

They won't catch up, not unless they make a huge investment; which is seemingly the "ID.x" vehicles.
Not so much quality, but the culture of the engineers themselves. Yes standards and expectations etc will be different in 15 years, and they will have to catch up to that, but what I mean is the culture and tolerance for falsifying official records themselves.

I've worked as a consultant for engineering change and product development. i..e I help companies that decide they want to change something about their engineering culture. For a company that has a culture that would allow a situation like the Passat falsifications to happen...
Such an series of events do not happen because one technician or software engineer decides to falsify records or make deceitful software. It only happens when the entire engineering organization has an attitude that laws and regulations are barriers to marketing a more sellable product, and that you can and should do anything to circumvent those legal barriers if it means more sales.

To change a culture like that, takes years. It takes a massive turnover in personnel, not just one or two folks being sacrificed. And it takes a massive dictate and expenditure of money. Its not something that can be done quietly or subtly, such an effort would be public knowledge all over the engineering world. And its not, therefore its not being done in a meaningful way, in my opinion.
Sponsored

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Not so much quality, but the culture of the engineers themselves. Yes standards and expectations etc will be different in 15 years, and they will have to catch up to that, but what I mean is the culture and tolerance for falsifying official records themselves.

I've worked as a consultant for engineering change and product development. i..e I help companies that decide they want to change something about their engineering culture. For a company that has a culture that would allow a situation like the Passat falsifications to happen...
Such an series of events do not happen because one technician or software engineer decides to falsify records or make deceitful software. It only happens when the entire engineering organization has an attitude that laws and regulations are barriers to marketing a more sellable product, and that you can and should do anything to circumvent those legal barriers if it means more sales.

To change a culture like that, takes years. It takes a massive turnover in personnel, not just one or two folks being sacrificed. And it takes a massive dictate and expenditure of money. Its not something that can be done quietly or subtly, such an effort would be public knowledge all over the engineering world. And its not, therefore its not being done in a meaningful way, in my opinion.
I think we have the same idea, just using different words. I work directly in production development, albeit not automotive, so I'm familiar with all these under the table and poor practices that come along with producing a profitable product.

Too many times have I heard we are not to fix something, or ignore it because it's not our responsibility and we don't have the funding. "We'll look at it in 10 years".

From what I can tell, it's mostly the old(old companies/businesses) world giants that do this.

blackdiamond

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 EX Hatchie
Country flag
I had to read the first post 3 times... I thought the OP was referring to Subaru gifting us with a hatch... I had a literal mind melt... But researched... then I was sadden

The new look of the R.. exterior is ehh ... interior is nice ( I foresee a sloppy fingerprint issue there)... overall a modders car

Charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R, 2023 Indian Sport Chief
Country flag
I had a 2016 Golf R, I really like the new model. In my case the manual transmission was garbage. Had I had a DSG, I'd still be driving the car. Very refined car, felt like something much more expensive, outstanding power and handling. Always put a smile on my face. All that said, It's not enough for me to trade in my CTR... but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted.

Vnamvet

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Next generation hot hatches are coming -- 2022 Type R and 2022 STi will be all new, as will the just announced 2022 Golf R. Curious on community thoughts in regard to the new Golf R...

https://jalopnik.com/the-2022-volkswagen-golf-r-is-the-most-powerful-product-1845570930
I've owned a 2017 and a 2019 Golf R, had had both tuned by APR with their Stage 1 ECU and transmission tunes. The hp went from 292 to 345 and they were extremely fast for a 4 cylinder. I had the 7 speed DSG.

They ran 12.00 @ 112 in the 1/4 mile, the same as my 6.4 liter 2019 Dodge Scatpack.

They suprised many a 5.0 Mustang.....

I may trade/sell my 2020 Civic Touring Sedan when they arrive next year.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
It's down 10% on power compared to the Focus RS but only down 6% when it comes to weight. It's a nice healthy improvement over the previous generation, but probably not enough to make it that competitive, especially compared to the older generation Focus RS. Though it might sway some STI buyers as its numbers are probably right in line with the current generation STI... Granted the STI is due for an upgrade anytime soon too.

That said, if you truly need the AWD in a hatchback format, this would be a viable option. I'm sure it'll be very comfy and smooth too like the previous generation was. Styling is on point as well.

Edit: keep in mind that AWD cars will lose upwards of 20% of HP to the powertrain. This is essentially what makes the Type R faster than the RS. The RS probably is putting closer to 280 HP to the wheels vs what the Type R does. It puts them in far closer competition. The VW here would be hitting closer to 250 HP to the wheels. Though I forget if VW is like BMW where they underreport power by a large margin (like 10%) in which case the car might actually be very competitive putting down 275-ish HP to the ground.
Don't forget Golf R is notoriously underrated.

a model y performance will blow all these cars out of the water and will in some cases outlap you
on most tracks in the USA. Maybe only 1 or 2 laps but really who cares , its all about street performance in the end.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-y-unplugged-supercar-lap-time-laguna-seca-video/

Sounds good for a vehicle that costs 60K-70K depending on the options.

1lastnerve

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR - Black
Country flag
I've always been a fan of the GTI & R's, but never owned one. My last VW was my wife's EOS... that thing drank a quart of Mobil 1 every 1000 miles... of course the dealer said that was normal. LOL
She loved the car, I was scared that the motor was going to puke. Also, I never really liked the DSG from a dead stop. It was great once you're rolling, but smooth takeoffs were just about impossible.

I'll wait & see before I jump into the VW pool anytime soon.

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've always been a fan of the GTI & R's, but never owned one. My last VW was my wife's EOS... that thing drank a quart of Mobil 1 every 1000 miles...
That surprised me about my Golf R, same deal. I didn't know about it until the low oil light came on (shame on me) then saw in the manual that it's expected.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
I had a 2016 Golf R, I really like the new model. In my case the manual transmission was garbage. Had I had a DSG, I'd still be driving the car. Very refined car, felt like something much more expensive, outstanding power and handling. Always put a smile on my face. All that said, It's not enough for me to trade in my CTR... but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted.
Another complaint for that trash manual ? did anything go wrong with yours or you just didn't like the feel? Honestly would still have my GTI too if it wasn't for the 6MT issues.

I knew going in the two weakpoints of the car were the turbo and the clutch and I was prepared to address both when needed.....but the problems with its 6MT go beyond the clutch. They also cheaped out and threw the same unit that could barely hold the GTI's torque into the R lol just a typical VW dumpster fire.

After being kind or forced out of it into the CTR, I don't miss VW one bit. Planning for problems, hoping you got a good batch, tracking build dates at the Mexico plant to find trends with cars that have spontaneously grenaded.....fuck that.

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Another complaint for that trash manual ? did anything go wrong with yours or you just didn't like the feel? Honestly would still have my GTI too if it wasn't for the 6MT issues.
The fact that it had the same clutch at the GTI aside.... It was the gating. The shifter was just plain sloppy. I've been driving manuals for 25 years, my Golf R was the first one in my life I've ever missed a shift with. I went to the kind people over at vwvortex and was promptly told I had no idea what I was talking about. First missed shift made me pay more attention. Second missed shift was a money shift with a mechanical overrev. I managed to get it repaired under warranty, new head gasket and timing belt. The rockers on the intake valves of cylinders 1 and 4 were displaced so the valves stayed shut. So I get the car back and I'm babying it. I'm planning to replace the shifter bushings. I'm now so self conscious of the transmission in afraid to push the car at all. Missed shift #3 which I caught as the revs went up and I depressed the clutch in time. After that, I checked the oil while I was filling it up and saw a tiny spec of metal glistening. That was it. Traded it in for a brand new GMC Sierra and took a couple years off. By comparison, my 2018 Civic SI and now my 2019 Civic Type-R have the best manual transmissions I've ever used in my life.

'19Sport6Man

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport, 2013 Mazda MX-5 Grand Touring
Country flag
It's down 10% on power compared to the Focus RS but only down 6% when it comes to weight. It's a nice healthy improvement over the previous generation, but probably not enough to make it that competitive, especially compared to the older generation Focus RS. Though it might sway some STI buyers as its numbers are probably right in line with the current generation STI... Granted the STI is due for an upgrade anytime soon too.

That said, if you truly need the AWD in a hatchback format, this would be a viable option. I'm sure it'll be very comfy and smooth too like the previous generation was. Styling is on point as well.

Edit: keep in mind that AWD cars will lose upwards of 20% of HP to the powertrain. This is essentially what makes the Type R faster than the RS. The RS probably is putting closer to 280 HP to the wheels vs what the Type R does. It puts them in far closer competition. The VW here would be hitting closer to 250 HP to the wheels. Though I forget if VW is like BMW where they underreport power by a large margin (like 10%) in which case the car might actually be very competitive putting down 275-ish HP to the ground.

But the Focus RS has a very downmarket econobox dash and plastics, and terrible reliability.
(Prior owner of a 2017 Focus RS)

The Type R is faster than the Focus RS? ummmmm.

No.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
But the Focus RS has a very downmarket econobox dash and plastics, and terrible reliability.
(Prior owner of a 2017 Focus RS)

The Type R is faster than the Focus RS? ummmmm.

No.
I agree with the interior quality. As for faster, it depends on the scenario. Off of a roll, the Type R should win pretty easily (unless the driver really sucks). Off a dig the RS will be faster until you're past that ÂĽ mile mark.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I had a MKVII Golf R and while it was a very good car, I would not be that interested in owning another one. It was far less fun to drive than the much less powerful MKVII GTI I came from, for one thing. It was too heavy in comparison, though it did a decent job of disguising the pork, and the manual transmission was much less engaging than on the GTI. It was the only mod I made, putting in a Dieselgeek short shift kit and heavier shift nob (well, and a clutch stop, but that's like a piece of rubber).

The Golf R is supremely capable and especially with the DSG very fast; it's a good daily driver, and mine at least was really built well. It was very, well, German, in that like the Audi I got after it it was so capable, so unflappable, that I never really felt engaged. Go fast in any conditions? Ja wohl! The CTR is so much more engaging that I don't miss either the Audi or the Golf R, despite the much higher level of creature comforts either of them have over the Honda.

Also, at this point if I am getting an ICE car it's going to have a manual, period. And VWs manuals are not at the top of the heap right now. The Golf R in particular, at least the 2016 I had, was worse in this regard than the 2012 GTI. The car is pretty much engineered for the DSG, and the manual is an afterthought. And I had my fill of automatic transmission fast car in the S5, thank you very much. But the new Golf R does look nice, and has an upscale presence. For the price, though, it damn well better. You're getting into a territory with a lot of competition at that price.
I would agree with this. My wife has a 2013 Audi TT RS in a 6MT and while it is capable of equal or greater performance when compared to my Type R, it feels much more like a GT car than a sports car. The steering is very direct, but is not very communicative compared to the R.

The straight line performance with the Haldex AWD system is amazing though, and that 5 cylinder exhaust note (while not Golf R relevant) is so sexy that I weep every time I move back to the R.
Sponsored