Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Well, based on this blurb (from Honda's official site), it looks like we are getting more power:

Honda Civic 10th gen 2022 Civic Hatchback Spyshot Screenshot_20210307-132301

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
According to a japanese publication the new civic (at least the hatch, but I assume the sedan as well) is getting an "all new" platform. Most likely the same platform the new ILX replacement will receive which already has people hoping for a double wishbone front setup on the new civic. With the new Pilot soon moving to the new light truck platform underpinning the MDX, we can also assume Honda will migrate all it's cars and crossovers over to the new platforms being used by Acura now, or something very similar (minor tweaks to save on cost).

I think it's safe to assume minor tweaks will be made to both the 2.0 and 1.5T engines to eek a few more horses out, possibly seeing a bump up to the 10th gen sport trim levels (180hp for the 1.5T). I wouldn't totally rule out honda dropping in some mild hybrid assistance on upper trim levels (and possibly even the Si) to gain even more power/torque on the 1.5T which would also be in line with their electrification goals over the next few years.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sport with over 200hp would be noice!
I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility... Honda could go a few different ways... given that from what we've seen the turbo is no longer going to be standard on the hatch... the sport could remain an in between base 2.0 trim filling the gap between LX and EX. That leaves the Si to pick up for the sporty intentions, hopefully with a meaningful power increase (230hp sounds nice) and would be offered on the hatch and sedan, possibly for the first time with an automatic option. That squarely puts the Si in market against Kia Forte GT and Elantra N-Line.

Honda could also pull an accord and offer 2 sport trims... one with the base engine and one with the turbo, uprated to current Si levels (around 200). Leaving room for the Si to grow in power (240+) as an even more powerful option more squarely between the sport and CTR.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I read elsewhere (can't remember the source) but Honda said the Si will remain manual only.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I read elsewhere (can't remember the source) but Honda said the Si will remain manual only.
And I read an interview that said it'll continue to offer a manual, but an auto was not off the table either. They basically just wanted to confirm the manual would still be around, but didn't give a hard no to an auto option either.

I know an Auto Si is a sticky subject, but honestly... with manual take rates so low, and every single other Si competitor offering an auto option, it'd be dumb for Honda to just throw away sales like that. People that would gladly get an auto Si instead have to go for the veloster, elantra n-line, forte GT, GTI, etc etc. Especially when they have a perfectly suitable DCT sitting in the ILX that would be perfect for Si duty.

I think before now, the ILX was the reason they DIDN'T offer an auto 10th gen Si... they knew it would totally cannibalize ILX sales if people could get an Si for cheaper with an auto. But with the ILX being replaced and moved upmarket like the rest of the Acura lineup, its going to leave alot more space that the Si could branch out, without hurting Acura sales of their future small car.

OR honda could be honda, stubborn, make the new Si manual only and just say f*ck it to more potential Si sales.... it's all speculation for now.