First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan, 2014 Pathfinder
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yes, bit the ICE in the NSX is a nice, robust V6, whereas (if we are to believe the rumors), the Type R hybrid drivetrain will use the 1.5L engine as the ICE.
I think is a 2.0 turbo hybrid
Sponsored

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
I think XI looks pretty good, more upscale. VW Jetta rear and Camry front. Interior a la VW/Audi, looks upscale, cleaner.
However... there is a but... The XI looks generic, jumped the German/German wannabe cars band-wagon. They need to appeal a wider audience to sell more.

- personally I'll keep my current X Type R. I think gen X has personality, looks mean, you cannot mistake it with the pack of bland ordinary looking cars.
- I'll update to XI Type R only if it brings a significant performance improvement. But given it uses the same technical platform and the upcoming emissions standards I wouldn't get too excited. For sure gen XI will come with more "tech" and comfort features but for me these are not a major sale point.
- instead of dropping 10-15 k to update I'd better use them on a 2'nd nice preowned car (Megane RS, i30, Bmw 135i, why not a type R FK2?, many other interesting choices...). In Europe you don't get to sell your Type R for the same as sale price as happens in US.

Last edited:

AVR

First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan, 2014 Pathfinder
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Where you get this from? I don't see Honda ditching the 2.0T from the Type R if they were to go hybrid. Just add 50, 75, maybe 100 HP motors to the rear. If they go 1.5T, which currently outputs 210 to the wheels, they'd need to strap at least 100 HP motors to the rear just to match the power of the Type R. It wouldn't be enough to offset the added weight too. They probably could push the 1.5T to like 225 or 250, but I really don't see them ditching the 2.0T.
I think I read about a year ago that they were going with a 2.0T hybrid around 330 HP

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Interesting that it is shown wearing Michelin tires. I think the only Honda product with Michelin tires as OEM installation is the CTR LE.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Interesting that it is shown wearing Michelin tires. I think the only Honda product with Michelin tires as OEM installation is the CTR LE.
Those are most likely the Type R/Si wheels/tire combo fitted on the reveal car.

I think the Type R is going down to 19 inch (same setup as the 9th gen Type R) I think the car and driver article mentioned that the car shown was running 245/35/R19

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I think they’re gonna tweak that 2.0 Turbo make at least 350 HP keep it FWD, I’m usually right lol

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I think they’re gonna tweak that 2.0 Turbo make at least 350 HP keep it FWD, I’m usually right lol
I can see them pushing that on the next one, but that would be on the higher end of estimates. For a more incremental upgrade I could see them just pushing it out to 325-ish.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
The car mags are skeptical about the hybrid/AWD rumors. Doesn't fit the car's personality, as it would add weight and complexity. Anything is possible, but IMO it would be more likely they'd do something like that as an Acura, maybe a revived Integra Type R sort of thing.

Either way, I'm happy with the 2020 I have. I personally feel the new look is too generic, and too smooth. Too much like the Audi I had or every Hyundai out there (though both Audis and Hyundais are good cars, so there is that).

r712

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R (FK8) | 2017 Fit (GK5)
Country flag
I read an article a month or two back that Acura is bringing a type S variant to all their cars (including the MDX), so I could see them making a hybrid/AWD ILX type S if that's the direction they're going.

With Acura wanting to separate more from the Honda models these days, my guess is that we'll see the more recent tech there (hybrid motor/SH-AWD) while the civic iterates more on the current setup - turbo 2.0L/FWD. If they stick with the 2.0L turbo, I'd be curious if they stick with the same k20c1 since it would now be the 3rd generation of civic type R to have it.

Also with the covid situation going on, I'm not sure how much Honda poured into R&D that isn't the EV market. That was the reasoning Honda pulled out of F1 apparently. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The car mags are skeptical about the hybrid/AWD rumors. Doesn't fit the car's personality, as it would add weight and complexity. Anything is possible, but IMO it would be more likely they'd do something like that as an Acura, maybe a revived Integra Type R sort of thing.

Either way, I'm happy with the 2020 I have. I personally feel the new look is too generic, and too smooth. Too much like the Audi I had or every Hyundai out there (though both Audis and Hyundais are good cars, so there is that).
I do remember the rumors started right after Honda announced that their next generations of cars would all be electrified. What I think they meant was that each model (Civic, Accord, Passport, etc.) would have an electric/hybrid variant beside their full ICE models. What a lot of people think it meant was that every car produced by Honda would eventually become an electric/hybrid.

I personally don't see the next generation Civic Type R going hybrid, maybe the one after that. If done properly, it actually does fit the car's personality. It adds a little weight, and a lot of complexity but with huge gains. Better torque vectoring, traction, and power output to start.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
We all have our opinions, and so I'll write mine. I'm super meh about the 11th gen. It's the opposite of my reaction to the tenth generation. When the tenth came out and especially the neon green coupe prototype, my immediate reaction was, "This is awesome. When the CTR comes out, I shall get it." When the matte black CTR prototype debuted, I excitedly texted my friend the pic with much excitement. I even like the sedan's shape. The angular facets around the trunk and taillights really draw my eye to the surfaces.

Now with the 11th gen, my reaction is the opposite. It's a compact Camry in the front with the oversized grille at the bottom. Although I agree that it looks like the GTI as well, the GTI is too conservatively styled for my tastes. I especially don't like the very horizontal beltline, the flat expanse of the hood, and the dashboard turned into a BMW style straight line.

I'll give the next CTR a chance before judging, but I'm not optimistic.

sean465

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Championship White Civic Type R FK8 R-03927
Country flag
The uk is banning the sale of petrol and electric cars from 2030....so this is likely the last type r we will get. And if Europe follows suit, you have to ask if there is enough of a market to do a 12th gen, and by then surely all money will sadly be in ev r&d

I am gonna be like sly Stallone in demolition man, driving my Type r amoungst the soulless dodgems
Sponsored