Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Watching the NASCAR race and just saw the new Toyota Camry TRD. I respect the street model has a V6 in it, but what happened to the manual? Sad seeing manuals disappearing more and more in the states ?
Sponsored

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Because the consumers who buy a Camry today are mostly drivers for the automatic. It doesn’t make sense for a company to make manuals if the demand isn’t there for the demographics they target.

OP
OP
Spartan-033

Spartan-033

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Because the consumers who buy a Camry today are mostly drivers for the automatic. It doesn’t make sense for a company to make manuals if the demand isn’t there for the demographics they target.
Was more rhetorical than anything, but you’re right. Sadly, car companies listen more tO analytics now a days. Alas, I shall love my manual while I have it ^_^

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Car companies won't bring back manuals if nobody buys them.

SiR_mixalot

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 1995 Mazda Rx-7
Country flag
I believe this issue goes further than, people not buying enough manual cars. With new EPA/CAFE standards, the competitive MPG market, and the wide acceptance of CVT slush-boxes, it is hard for an engineer to design a manual car. I have not heard of a manual car that has remote start or auto stop/start. Cylinder deactivation is almost impossible without a torque converter to brace the impact of stopping half an engine. The car company has to say, "Look this car has less features, gets worst mileage, and is harder to drive, but please buy it." Much easier to do before all of this tech came along.

Aside from all of this and Toyota's "racing pedigree," this is Toyota we are talking about. In the last 20 years they aren't exactly known for making a fun to drive car. Economical yes, reliable yes, sex appeal? Low.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I believe this issue goes further than, people not buying enough manual cars. With new EPA/CAFE standards, the competitive MPG market, and the wide acceptance of CVT slush-boxes, it is hard for an engineer to design a manual car. I have not heard of a manual car that has remote start or auto stop/start. Cylinder deactivation is almost impossible without a torque converter to brace the impact of stopping half an engine. The car company has to say, "Look this car has less features, gets worst mileage, and is harder to drive, but please buy it." Much easier to do before all of this tech came along.

Aside from all of this and Toyota's "racing pedigree," this is Toyota we are talking about. In the last 20 years they aren't exactly known for making a fun to drive car. Economical yes, reliable yes, sex appeal? Low.
I know for a fact that there are manual cars with auto start/stop. I was in Spain a few weeks back and was in a VW suv/crossover that had it.

You can get remote start systems on manuals, just have to leave your car in neutral. Not ideal, since a lot of drivers leave their car in gear when it's off.

OP
OP
Spartan-033

Spartan-033

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

I will counter and say Toyota ended up pushing the development for the GT86 which is basically that, “fun car to drive.”

I do agree though that EPA standards are probably part of the issue. I would love to see ways to make my civic more efficient even as I get phenomenal gas mileage, but alas it isn’t the best with smog.

I’m by no means an engineer, nor do I know how difficult it would be, but I would love a traditional style manual with a hybrid/electric engine or possibly hybrid/electric/plugin. I would eat that UP.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Remember those days when automatic transmissions were god damn slow? :D

Automatic transmissions in cars from the 90s and 2000s were ridiculously slow, it
was absolutely unbearable to drive these slush boxes. Manual was the way to go back then. Nowadays I don't see the purpose of driving a MT in my personal situation. The roads I have to drive on are too congested and it's annoying to clutch 500 times in stop and go traffic. After then years of driving MTs only, I got a Civic with a CVT after test driving it and that was the best decision ever.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2022 Camry TRD (Manuals are cars too!) no ragrets
Sponsored