2021 Type R Pricing in Canada

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (CW)
Country flag
None of what you just listed out is "Mandatory" or even accurate beside bogus protection packages and/or warranties (*WHICH ARE OPTIONAL*). In what world are you mandated to choose an 8 year financing term?

Also it is just as easy as picking a colour and getting a car at MSRP, it's the customers that make it difficult and complicated because they want all kinds of deals, and try to haggle thinking as if they are silver tongues.
In my area (opposite side of the country as you), everything I said is very accurate. I personally know of several cars sold just like that, and one of my good personal friends is a Finance manager at a Honda dealership very familiar with the tactics.

Of course it's "optional", just like the dealer has the "option" to sell to someone else who is willing to pay for that stuff. I am telling you the tricks they use to mark the car up when they technically aren't allowed to raise the MSRP. It's mandatory in the sense that if you want the car, that's what you have to take (depending on the individual dealership of course) - I thought that was clear in my post. If you don't want to pay it, you don't get the car - pretty simple.

One dealer in my area even lent some poor soul's Type R to get bagged in a YouTube video prior to sale.

Anyway, calling me a liar from thousands of KM away regarding a market I doubt you have insider knowledge about was not really necessary. I know for a fact that the previously mentioned tactics (or any combination thereof) are what some Canadian dealers are using to get well above MSRP. Some people are saying all you have to do is pick a color and pay MSRP, but that is often not the case.
Sponsored

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
In my area (opposite side of the country as you), everything I said is very accurate. I personally know of several cars sold just like that, and one of my good personal friends is a Finance manager at a Honda dealership very familiar with the tactics.

Of course it's "optional", just like the dealer has the "option" to sell to someone else who is willing to pay for that stuff. I am telling you the tricks they use to mark the car up when they technically aren't allowed to raise the MSRP. It's mandatory in the sense that if you want the car, that's what you have to take (depending on the individual dealership of course) - I thought that was clear in my post. If you don't want to pay it, you don't get the car - pretty simple.

One dealer in my area even lent some poor soul's Type R to get bagged in a YouTube video prior to sale.

Anyway, calling me a liar from thousands of KM away regarding a market I doubt you have insider knowledge about was not really necessary. I know for a fact that the previously mentioned tactics (or any combination thereof) are what some Canadian dealers are using to get well above MSRP. Some people are saying all you have to do is pick a color and pay MSRP, but that is often not the case.
I'm supposed to know where you live? Your location say Canada.

It's never mandatory to buy a car with a bunch of addons, lol. If a dealer isn't letting you buy a car without addons, don't buy the car, why would you even humor them if they would sooner go and try to sell the car to someone else? You aren't required to accept a deal the dealer is imposing on you. Nothing about a car sale is "mandatory", so please learn how to use the word; everything about a car sale is most definitely voluntary besides the money you AGREE to pay them.

But wait, I guess you are required to take the deal the dealer imposes on you no matter what right? After all, you are an insider, you must know. Who called you a liar by the way? I don't recall using the word.

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

It's never mandatory to buy a car with a bunch of addons, lol. If a dealer isn't letting you buy a car without addons, don't buy the car, why would you even humor them if they would sooner go and try to sell the car to someone else? You aren't required to accept a deal the dealer is imposing on you. Nothing about a car sale is "mandatory", so please learn how to use the word; everything about a car sale is most definitely voluntary besides the money you AGREE to pay them.

But wait, I guess you are required to take the deal the dealer imposes on you no matter what right? After all, you are an insider, you must know. Who called you a liar by the way? I don't recall using the word.
You're missing the point so let me break it down.

Obviously, nobody is forced to buy any car in any situation. Nobody has ever said that or even alluded to that.

What dealers are doing is saying that IF you want to buy their CTR, you have to pay for X addons or pay for X financing, or they won't sell you the car. In that sense, it's mandatory if you want that car. The car is popular enough that many people are agreeing to those terms, and that is how they are 'marking up' the car without advertising higher MSRPs.

For example, lets say you walk into a dealer and they have a CTR. They might tell you that they are only selling the car to someone who agrees to 8 year financing or if you pay $4000 for mats or something along those lines - in that sense it's mandatory if you want the car. If you don't want the car on those terms, no problem, nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything.

You are free to turn down the deal with ridiculous add-ons, but then you don't get a CTR. It's not like you can just say "no thanks" and all of a sudden the dealer sells it to you at MSRP and nothing more haha. If you say "no thanks" they don't sell you the car and they wait for someone who will give them what they want.

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I can also tell you ... type r is a hot potatoes in ontario... especially back in 2017 and 2018...
Ppl are lining for one.. and because dealer cant jack up the msrp.. so their tactic is to create a "package" addon for you as "option"... you are not forced to buy it... then you know what.. the exit is right there and u are free to leave the car.. and guess what... there are ppl line up to get it and willing to pay for the rip off addon...

It has been like that for type r 2017 and 2018.
It got better in 2019 amd 2020.. i managed to get my 2019 at msrp with 3 months wait.. i cant even pick color as dealer doesnt know what color they will get as well.

You cant compare type r to any other car.. somehow it sounds ridiculous but it is fact

OP
OP
Kevindust

Kevindust

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport Upgrade manual, 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
I can also tell you ... type r is a hot potatoes in ontario... especially back in 2017 and 2018...
It is really location dependant. Here in Ottawa, the 2018s sat in showrooms for months and months - especially the Race Red cars. The dealership closest to me had two 2018 RR and a 2018 CW for a couple of months and the final '18 RR wasn't sold until mid way through 2019.

Conversely, the 2020s didn't seem to be sitting around long and now that the 2021 price increase has been revealed, the 2020s are being picked up quickly.

I have a line on one of the last CBP 2020s in town (at MSRP with no add ons) but I'm also eyeing up a 2020 Mustang GT 401A PP2. Despite the $14K spread in MSRP between the CTR and the PP2, with the current discounts and financing rates, the Mustang is actually only $200 more expensive to purchase.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
It is really location dependant. Here in Ottawa, the 2018s sat in showrooms for months and months - especially the Race Red cars. The dealership closest to me had two 2018 RR and a 2018 CW for a couple of months and the final '18 RR wasn't sold until mid way through 2019.

Conversely, the 2020s didn't seem to be sitting around long and now that the 2021 price increase has been revealed, the 2020s are being picked up quickly.

I have a line on one of the last CBP 2020s in town (at MSRP with no add ons) but I'm also eyeing up a 2020 Mustang GT 401A PP2. Despite the $14K spread in MSRP between the CTR and the PP2, with the current discounts and financing rates, the Mustang is actually only $200 more expensive to purchase.
:( I should've went to Ottawa. I was looking for a RR, I admit not very hard as I thought there was none left in 2019, but that was my first choice of colour... I'll just wrap it at this point.

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

We also have dealer here sitting their type r in show room.. they purposely not sell it...
But 2019 and 2020 can get one at msrp for sure..
I got my 2019 at msrp.. with free trunk tray, free 3m window tints, free all season mats..

But lot of earlier type R numbers owner did pay for addon.. like 5k addon

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We also have dealer here sitting their type r in show room.. they purposely not sell it...
But 2019 and 2020 can get one at msrp for sure..
I got my 2019 at msrp.. with free trunk tray, free 3m window tints, free all season mats..

But lot of earlier type R numbers owner did pay for addon.. like 5k addon
When I picked up my car (2020), there was someone trying to offer the dealer $5,000 over MSRP to give it to him instead o_O Thankfully I have a good relationship with that dealer and had already signed papers.

Canuck

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Purchased my 2020 CTR boost blue (my first colour) in May from a Ontario dealership. The list price was 43,690 + 500 for BB. After haggling the price for a day or two the sale price was 44,399 including PDI and window tint. Thought I did quite well. Trouble after delivery with replacing the AC unit but that’s another story. Have had it now for 4 months and no other issues have developed. Amazing power and handling like all the reviews posted on line. Sure glad I made this purchase after knowing the 2021 pricing.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Comparing car prices between Canada and the USA is constantly in flux. A few years ago, I was serious about either an STI or Mitsubishi Evo 10. The prices in Canada, given the exchange rate at the time were absolutely crazy higher in Canada. I had a deal lined up in Buffalo for an EVO 10 and Mitsubishi told we there was no way they would honour (notice the spelling) the warranty if a USA dealer sold to a Canadian. The price difference was so high that I seriously considered it as I didn't anticipate having 12K of warranty claims. Subaru was only marginally better.

OTOH, a few years later when looking for a used Corvette, the deals in the USA when converted to $CDN were great and many Canadians bought US cars.

Now the tables have turned again and it is easy to sell a Canadian Corvette to an American due to perceived value and our lower dollar.

So I am now the owner of a 2020 CW CTR for which I paid MSRP with no extra crap added on. It would certainly irk me big time to have the price increase for the 2021 but that is likely the last year for the car as the Swindon plant is closing, so I am sure the company and dealers will sell every one they can get.

ians

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8, 2004 TSX, 2011 A4 Avant, 2013 S5, 2019 718 GTS
Country flag
If you're talking about dealer markups, they just go about it in different ways in Canada:

- $4,000 set of mats
- Mandatory 8 year financing at crappy rates
- Full protection package (90% profit for the dealer)
- Maximum length extended warranty
- All OEM accessories pre-installed

etc., etc.

Some dealers in Canada also straight up sell them above MSRP even though technically they aren't supposed to advertise it. People are lining up to pay those amounts so I don't think anyone complains/cares.

It's a common misconception that all you have to do is choose your color in Canada. It's much more complicated than that unless you have a really good dealer.
I just place my order back in Feb and pay MSRP on my BB when take delivery in June, no bullshit no extra throw in.

But my friend need to buy an inventory boxster S from dealer lot in order for Porsche dealer gave him an allocation for a GT3. And Porsche dealer also try to sell me a used 991 if I want to get an allocation of 718 GT4 so once the GT4 arrive than I can keep the 991 or trade it in for cheap.

TYPRTY

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R LE
Country flag
Ordered my 2020 CW in May, arrived in September, MSRP, no bs :)
i ordered my 2021 CW CTR September 1st...still no news on when it will arrive but my salesman calls me every week to let me know he didn’t forget about me ?

Denuel

First Name
Denuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type r
Country flag
i ordered my 2021 CW CTR September 1st...still no news on when it will arrive but my salesman calls me every week to let me know he didn’t forget about me ?
My 2021 CTR PMM arrived a week ago, yours should be arriving soon
Sponsored