2021 Type R Pricing in Canada

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Yeah the price increase is insane! Plus why no color options....like WTF where is the RR??? They only had it for half a year in 2018 :( PMM is nice to see but not my first choice. So I assume BB was a 2020 only for us Canadians?

Very disappointed overall, glad I already have my 2017 and won't be bothering to upgrading now.
probably had to allocate what was left
Sponsored

Mikey-boy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura rsx
Country flag
I'm not crazy about polished metal either, especially since I had my eyes set on a black 2020 ctr. Dealer dropped the ball, and now I have an unfulfilled contract, so 2021. MSRP or not, I will be asking my dealer consider my contact. In toronto, Ontario, It's a $2500 MSRP markup front 2020 model year.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
You are entitled to think it's overpriced. My point is that $48k CAD, in US dollars, is less than MSRP in the states. Our MSRP ($37,495) is equivalent to $50,258 CAD. And in Canada, you have a better chance to actually buy at MSRP without talking to 50 different dealers in six provinces.
Not how exchange rates work in the automotive world.

For a simple example, go look at the price of a Supra on the US site and CA site, then look at the msrp compared to exchange rate, you'll be surprised Pikachu face.

OP
OP
Kevindust

Kevindust

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport Upgrade manual, 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
You are entitled to think it's overpriced. My point is that $48k CAD, in US dollars, is less than MSRP in the states. Our MSRP ($37,495) is equivalent to $50,258 CAD. And in Canada, you have a better chance to actually buy at MSRP without talking to 50 different dealers in six provinces.
I'd be inclined to agree with your point if salaries in Canada were also 1.35 x salaries in the US. However, that is not the case. Canadians are making semi equivalent salaries as our friends to the South but we're paying significantly more for the same product.

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (CW)
Country flag
I'd be inclined to agree with your point if salaries in Canada were also 1.35 x salaries in the US. However, that is not the case. Canadians are making semi equivalent salaries as our friends to the South but we're paying significantly more for the same product.
I think it largely depends on the Province and the specific job. For example, I believe Alberta teachers and nurses make significantly more than they do in the USA, as well as other Provinces within Canada (6 figures for both, a little later in the career for teachers though). Lots of doctors go South as money is better in private medicine. Not sure about energy jobs like oil & gas but I suspect that is one where the pay is similar, only the USA is making 35% more relatively speaking. Law enforcement can easily make 6 figures here, I am not sure how that compares to the USA. I don't disagree with you, but I do think it's very situation and Province dependent.

OP
OP
Kevindust

Kevindust

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport Upgrade manual, 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
I think it largely depends on the Province and the specific job. For example, I believe Alberta teachers and nurses make significantly more than they do in the USA, as well as other Provinces within Canada (6 figures for both, a little later in the career for teachers though). Lots of doctors go South as money is better in private medicine. Not sure about energy jobs like oil & gas but I suspect that is one where the pay is similar, only the USA is making 35% more relatively speaking. Law enforcement can easily make 6 figures here, I am not sure how that compares to the USA. I don't disagree with you, but I do think it's very situation and Province dependent.
I agree completely. It's very situation and location dependent but generally speaking, we aren't making 35% more. If we introduce cost of living to the equation, things can get really skewed. Both countries are so large that we have extremes in either direction.

At the end of the day, after having a car available in the $42K to $45K range for 4 years, a sudden jump to $48K doesn't feel like good value for money to me.

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
At the end of the day, after having a car available in the $42K to $45K range for 4 years, a sudden jump to $48K doesn't feel like good value for money to me.
That's fair. At least in 2020 they added a bunch of stuff that to many was worth the difference, but 2020 to 2021 adding literally nothing but the largest ever year-over-year price bump is certainly nothing to get excited about. They probably did it just because it's the last year of production for the FK8, and people will obviously pay it no questions asked.

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, Honda released 2021 Canadian pricing today and it's a huge F.U to all of Canada. For the second model year in a row, the MSRP has gone up significantly.
2021 $48,001
2020 $45,491
2019 $43,490
2018 $42,890

I'm not even talking about the 2021 CTR LE, which is $56,400. CAD.

Honda Canada has also released the CTR colour options for 2021: CW or PMM. That's it, the two worst colours.

My Tacoma is paid off in January and my mortgage will be renewed in the Spring. After years of research, I was all set to buy a brand new CTR after that. Now that plan is gone, unless I can find a leftover 2020 next year. I'm sure that won't happen, 2020s in my colour preference are currently available for $44K and I'm sure they'll be gone soon.

My personal opinions on colour aside, how do other Canadians feel about the $5000 price increase over the past two years?
The 2500 price jump is purely a rip off.. 2021 and 2020 are literally same car..
Color wise... it makes sense PMM comes. Some really like it.
I like RR ... looks fire .

56000 LE is another rip off. Haha..
I am glad i got mine 2019

ians

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8, 2004 TSX, 2011 A4 Avant, 2013 S5, 2019 718 GTS
Country flag
I'm not crazy about polished metal either, especially since I had my eyes set on a black 2020 ctr. Dealer dropped the ball, and now I have an unfulfilled contract, so 2021. MSRP or not, I will be asking my dealer consider my contact. In toronto, Ontario, It's a $2500 MSRP markup front 2020 model year.
Wasn't Canada not allow to have markup over MSRP? well, I know dealer can throw in useless packages and asked you to eat it.

ians

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8, 2004 TSX, 2011 A4 Avant, 2013 S5, 2019 718 GTS
Country flag
It's $56k out the door in my province. For a hopped up front wheel drive Civic, no thank you!!
I have a $100k Jaguar R type P380 rental now but 100% sure my FWD Civic FK8 drive way better than that POS.

movovr

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
What I don’t mind about this is the fact that it should keep the residuals on the used ones nice and high. And that makes it just fine with me as I get to enjoy the 2018 RR on an ongoing basis and when the time comes to sell I may be able to get more than what I paid for it. Lol.

For those looking for a new one they sure are getting expensive though.

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What I don’t mind about this is the fact that it should keep the residuals on the used ones nice and high. And that makes it just fine with me as I get to enjoy the 2018 RR on an ongoing basis and when the time comes to sell I may be able to get more than what I paid for it. Lol.

For those looking for a new one they sure are getting expensive though.
Man so jealous you have a RR! Was the one color I wanted but the RR is so rare here :(
It will defiantly hold its value whenever you do decide to sell. Just the color alone will make it worth more. IMO.

j_limitz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R - Championship White
Country flag
Wasn't Canada not allow to have markup over MSRP? well, I know dealer can throw in useless packages and asked you to eat it.
I think he just means that the MSRP has increased by about $2500 over 2020MY, which in some peoples eyes would be a markup since there were no changes between 2020 & 2021 models (aside from the LE) :)

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you're talking about dealer markups, they just go about it in different ways in Canada:

- $4,000 set of mats
- Mandatory 8 year financing at crappy rates
- Full protection package (90% profit for the dealer)
- Maximum length extended warranty
- All OEM accessories pre-installed

etc., etc.

Some dealers in Canada also straight up sell them above MSRP even though technically they aren't supposed to advertise it. People are lining up to pay those amounts so I don't think anyone complains/cares.

It's a common misconception that all you have to do is choose your color in Canada. It's much more complicated than that unless you have a really good dealer.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
If you're talking about dealer markups, they just go about it in different ways in Canada:

- $4,000 set of mats
- Mandatory 8 year financing at crappy rates
- Full protection package (90% profit for the dealer)
- Maximum length extended warranty
- All OEM accessories pre-installed

etc., etc.

Some dealers in Canada also straight up sell them above MSRP even though technically they aren't supposed to advertise it. People are lining up to pay those amounts so I don't think anyone complains/cares.

It's a common misconception that all you have to do is choose your color in Canada. It's much more complicated than that unless you have a really good dealer.
None of what you just listed out is "Mandatory" or even accurate beside bogus protection packages and/or warranties (*WHICH ARE OPTIONAL*). In what world are you mandated to choose an 8 year financing term?

Also it is just as easy as picking a colour and getting a car at MSRP, it's the customers that make it difficult and complicated because they want all kinds of deals, and try to haggle thinking as if they are silver tongues.
Sponsored