2021 TLX gets de-tuned Type R powerplant

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I aligned and scaled by the rotors/wheels just because because they both have 20 inch rims. The issue with that though is the vehicles have different ride heights so the rest of the body doesn't line up. I could have lined it up better adjusting for camera calibration, etc... You have to admit, they are pretty similar shapes.
2022-Civic-Type-R_or_2021_TLX_Type_S.gif

Most of the points you made are correct so...
It must be the new RSX Type S ?
This is cool and somewhat helpful, but it's going so fast it's really not helping that much lol. Slow down the transition so it can better be seen imo.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
This is cool and somewhat helpful, but it's going so fast it's really not helping that much lol. Slow down the transition so it can better be seen imo.
Is this any better? That center frame is no fun :( If I had a version of Photoshop that still worked I could probably fix that center frame :/

Honda Civic 10th gen 2021 TLX gets de-tuned Type R powerplant ezgif.com-gif-maker

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Sorry, didn't mean to give anyone seizures. I put 500ms between frames on this one.
Honda Civic 10th gen 2021 TLX gets de-tuned Type R powerplant 2022-Civic-Type-R_or_2021_TLX_Type_S

I didn't spend much time on it and probably won't spend much more. If somebody wants to spend the time, I'm happy to share the gimp file.

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Is this any better? That center frame is no fun :( If I had a version of Photoshop that still worked I could probably fix that center frame :/

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif
You just beat me!
The center frame is the two images with opacity at about 60%.
Off topic: You should try GIMP. IIRC, it will run on (Linux, Mac and Windows) . I don't use the latter two much.

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You just beat me!
Off topic: You should try GIMP. IIRC, it will run on (Linux, Mac and Windows) . I don't use the latter two much.
Linux?
Oh, I get it.
Didnt realize there’s a forum like this one on tenth generation Peanuts characters, last name Van Pelt. I bet he can give us good advice on blankets Charlie Brown.

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
You just beat me!
I was never a fan of GIMP unfortunately :( Realistically I mainly only used Lightroom for most of my work... But for 10 bucks a month I could get both.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
It says its a 2 liter but it doesn't say it's detuned. The RDX has the same Accord 2.0 and isn't simply detuned, there's quite a few differences making it different, even down to the block. I assume the TLX 2.0 uses the same motor. However, I could be wrong.

Differences that come to mind if I remember correctly are:
-turbo
-pistons
-rods
-exhaust valves
-cams
-block (Accord has a balancer shaft)
-oil pump
-intake manifold
-fuel system
Right. The 2021 TLX's engine appears identical to the RDX's which itself is identical to the Accord 2.0T's except with a higher-flowing intake and exhaust and a tune that can take advantage of premium gasoline. The Type R's 2.0T has many differences including those you listed.

3.0L single turbo (twin scroll) v6. Hopefully it comes with high 300.
If the 3.0T produces the same 136-137 HP/L as the Si's 1.5T and the RDX's 2.0T, one could expect around 400 HP. Based on the Type R's 153 HP/L, one could expect around 460 HP. (Not including losses for the extra cylinder bank and two cylinders.)

Honda stated that the TLX's 3.0T produces "more than 50% more low-end torque than the 3.5L". The 3.5L produced a maximum of 267 lb-ft which might suggest more than 400 lb-ft from the 3.0T, but notice they said low-end and not peak torque. The 3.5L produces about 184 lb-ft at 1,500 RPM which might suggest that the 3.0T will develop almost 370 lb-ft at that speed.

My best, realistic guess is that we'll see somewhere around 380 HP and 370 lb-ft of torque from the TLX Type-S.

jincheol

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R BB, 2002 Acura RSX Type-S
Country flag
I can smell the +10k dealer markups already!

bouford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 AP1/18 FK8/19 CV2
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
LOL. we'll check out the tlx-s as my wife always wanted one... curious to see how my19 CV2 (K20C4 accord) will compare to non type s models.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
There will be markups upon release, but I bet they won’t hold for very long. The Type S, while more expensive than a regular model, was never very exclusive.

I wouldn’t be surprised if after 6-12 months after release, the prices normalize. It was the same thing with the new RDX. People went bananas for it and markups ensued. After the first year you could find them below msrp.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
LOL. we'll check out the tlx-s as my wife always wanted one... curious to see how my19 CV2 (K20C4 accord) will compare to non type s models.
I would guess a bit faster overall, but not by a huge sum.

It’ll get going from 0 faster than the accord due to the AWD.

I’m guessing power will also be a bit higher than advertised, as seems to be common with Honda turbo power trains.

bouford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 AP1/18 FK8/19 CV2
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I would guess a bit faster overall, but not by a huge sum.

It’ll get going from 0 faster than the accord due to the AWD.

I’m guessing power will also be a bit higher than advertised, as seems to be common with Honda turbo power trains.
would be a fun drag race but i am cheating being prl'd out with a slightly modified ktuner 2.1 tune ;)

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Right. The 2021 TLX's engine appears identical to the RDX's which itself is identical to the Accord 2.0T's except with a higher-flowing intake and exhaust and a tune that can take advantage of premium gasoline. The Type R's 2.0T has many differences including those you listed.

If the 3.0T produces the same 136-137 HP/L as the Si's 1.5T and the RDX's 2.0T, one could expect around 400 HP. Based on the Type R's 153 HP/L, one could expect around 460 HP. (Not including losses for the extra cylinder bank and two cylinders.)

Honda stated that the TLX's 3.0T produces "more than 50% more low-end torque than the 3.5L". The 3.5L produced a maximum of 267 lb-ft which might suggest more than 400 lb-ft from the 3.0T, but notice they said low-end and not peak torque. The 3.5L produces about 184 lb-ft at 1,500 RPM which might suggest that the 3.0T will develop almost 370 lb-ft at that speed.

My best, realistic guess is that we'll see somewhere around 380 HP and 370 lb-ft of torque from the TLX Type-S.
330hp MAX with about equal torque (+|-5).
The 3L motor won’t have the same thermal efficiency as the 1.5L and it is still on a single scroll. And you understand that Honda still strives for some economy.
At 370hp, it would be well over $60K for that kind of vehicle. The price target will be low $50’s and compete in the premium brand market.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Honda used to be the king of high specific output. They should crank out 450-ish hp out of the 2.0 liter and outdo the AMG motor.
Sponsored