2021 TLX gets de-tuned Type R powerplant

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
330hp MAX with about equal torque (+|-5).
The 3L motor won’t have the same thermal efficiency as the 1.5L and it is still on a single scroll. And you understand that Honda still strives for some economy.
At 370hp, it would be well over $60K for that kind of vehicle. The price target will be low $50’s and compete in the premium brand market.
Audi's 3.0T develops 335 HP and 369 lb-ft of torque.
Infiniti's 3.0T develops 300 HP and 295 lb-ft of torque.
MB's 3.0T (inline-6) develops 362 HP and 369 lb-ft of torque.

You might be right, but my bets are numbers closer to the Germans'. :)
Sponsored

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag

Infinity has a 3.0T version that makes 400hp. RedSport series.
Im using the hp per liter of the 2.0lt.
So 136 x 3.0 = 408hp
That is my bet.

The 3L motor won’t have the same thermal efficiency as the 1.5L and it is still on a single scroll. And you understand that Honda still strives for some economy.
At 370hp, it would be well over $60K for that kind of vehicle. The price target will be low $50’s and compete in the premium brand market.
We will see. I have higher hopes of a direct competitor for the Q50-RedSport and the G70/Stinger twins. Both are on the same league.

Last edited:

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

You’re both right. 335 on Mustang dyno is like 370 on Dynojet. The final number will be established by the marketing dept to help sell the entire Acura lineup.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nissan was able to do it.
Why Honda can't?

2020 Q50 RED SPORT 400 AWD
STARTING AT
$56,250

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Nissan was able to do it.
Why Honda can't?

2020 Q50 RED SPORT 400 AWD
STARTING AT
$56,250
Well look at where Nissan is now though.
I think they would throw themselves out of market if they came in at $56K; because the models produced are rarely at the starting price.
It will be utilizing the 10 gear transmission for sure and power delivery will feel richer than 330-335; especially with another 20lbs of torque than HP. Acura/Honda’s are more refined than most else out there - ample power but not brutish.
Those kinds of cars are well past what I am willing to pay for a car anyway.

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Infinity has a 3.0T version that makes 400hp. RedSport series.
Im using the hp per liter of the 2.0lt.
So 136 x 3.0 = 408hp
That is my bet.

We will see. I have higher hopes of a direct competitor for the Q50-RedSport and the G70/Stinger twins. Both are on the same league.
Thing is that those 2 vehicles come in at a curb weight of just shy of 4K lbs. The Acura will be 3500 at most; so, the higher power requirement isn’t quite necessary. Acura spends more on chassis than the other do using cheaper steal.
Many other things to account for too.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Thing is that those 2 vehicles come in at a curb weight of just shy of 4K lbs. The Acura will be 3500 at most; so, the higher power requirement isn’t quite necessary. Acura spends more on chassis than the other do using cheaper steal.
With or without the AWD system? A V6 Camry already comes in at 3500 lbs. The I4T Accord comes in at 3400 lbs. I'd be guesstimating closer to 3700 lbs on the lower end, maybe higher since it's more luxury and those added luxury benefits tend to add weight too (thicker upholstery, thicker sound deadening, heavier/softer materials, etc.).

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
With or without the AWD system? A V6 Camry already comes in at 3500 lbs. The I4T Accord comes in at 3400 lbs. I'd be guesstimating closer to 3700 lbs on the lower end, maybe higher since it's more luxury and those added luxury benefits tend to add weight too (thicker upholstery, thicker sound deadening, heavier/softer materials, etc.).
I hear ya.
Motor is smaller, wheels will be lighter among other things. I do see the point of the SH-AWD weight though. Thing is, they will be applying a rear wing spoiler - so that kind of leaks a “lighter” curb weight.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The current tlx awd sits at 3800. The new one will be very close to it or heavier but the type S will never reach 3500.
My current car weight 3500 and is a sport compact. The tlx is a big mid size. I hope you like thick ladies.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The current tlx awd sits at 3800. The new one will be very close to it or heavier but the type S will never reach 3500.
My current car weight 3500 and is a sport compact. The tlx is a big mid size. I hope you like thick ladies.
I'm glad Honda/Acura is getting serious about weight reduction. I had a 2012 Acura Tl 3.7L SH-AWD and that thing was a 4000lb heffer ?

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
You might be right, but I remember Jon Ikeda saying the reason they didn’t put a Type S into the 1G TLX was because anything under 350hp wouldn’t cut it for a Type S and the market they’re shooting for.

In reality, that can mean 351hp, which might end up being the case, knowing Honda/Acura conservative values.

I personally was thinking/hoping it would be about 360hp, 360tq. More would be nicer, but even those numbers seem high for them. That would be the highest powered car ever, outside the current NSX.

In either case, we likely will know two things about that engine as soon as it’s released.

1. It’s underrated from the factory by Honda, and likely actually puts out slightly more power than specd.

2. It'll be heavily held back by Honda, from the factory. I bet it will be nuts what Hondata will pull from that engine, in short order. I can’t wait.

Last edited:

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You might be right, but I remember Jon Ikeda saying the reason they didn’t put a Type S into the 1G TLX was because anything under 350hp wouldn’t cut it for a Type S and the market they’re shooting for.

In reality, that can mean 351hp, which might end up being the case, knowing Honda/Acura conservative values.

I personally was thinking/hoping it would be about 360hp, 360tq. More would be nicer, but even those numbers seem high for them. That would be the highest powered car ever, outside the current NSX.

In either case, we likely will know two things about that engine as soon as it’s released.

1. It’s underrated from the factory by Honda, and likely actually puts out slightly more power than specd.

2. It'll be heavily held back by Honda, from the factory. I bet it will be nuts what Hondata will pull from that engine, in short order. I can’t wait.
Makes sense if they keep to their previous statement. With those numbers it won’t be a regular production model at all. Might very well be a 58-60K ticket for that S.
Sponsored