2021 Hyundai Elantra

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Telluride/Palisade actually destroyed the competition at their segment. Basically everything you want from a 7 seater, they pretty much have them all but with low price.

They are actually marked up by dealers just like Civic Type R and unlikely sold at MSRP. Average markup is about 5%.
We bought the Ascent instead, and love it, mainly cause the good stuff (LEDs, panoramic roof, upgraded stereo, captain's chairs) on the Telluride means the SX top trim, which with lack of discounts would have cost $5k more than the Ascent which has all those features.

You shouldn't have to buy the top trim to get LED headlights, that's so 2015, lol.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Annexed

Annexed

First Name
Austen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The i30 was imported as our Elantra GT which was recently dropped from the lineup. Surprisingly, it didn't sell well in the US even though it was one of Hyundai Europe's better cars. Sucks actually. I owned a 1st gen GT hatch which was a nice car overall.

Btw, here's the car I'd buy over an Si in a heartbeat. Too bad Hyundai doesn't bring it's best stuff to the US...

Honda Civic 10th gen 2021 Hyundai Elantra 2019-hyundai-i30-fastback-n-11
Honda Civic 10th gen 2021 Hyundai Elantra 2019-hyundai-i30-fastback-n-12

Last edited:

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
0-62mph in 6.1 seconds? I find that unbelievable with 271hp... must have been granny shiftin to get a time that slow.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The i30 was imported as our Elantra GT which was recently dropped from the lineup. Surprisingly, it didn't sell well in the US even though it was one of Hyundai Europe's better cars. Sucks actually. I owned a 1st gen GT hatch which was a nice car overall.

Btw, here's the car I'd buy over an Si in a heartbeat. Too bad Hyundai doesn't bring it's best stuff to the US...

2019-hyundai-i30-fastback-n-11.jpg
It's probably just cause hatches don't do well in the US. VW dropped the base Golf and is keeping only the GTI/R.

So I think while the Elantra GT didn't sell, an i30N and especially that Fastback, would sell pretty well. I see tons of GTIs, but a regular Golf is pretty rare.

I think the arrival of the Elantra N sedan dooms the i30N unfortunately.

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazda3 5sp manual, 2012 Genesis sedan
Country flag
I know that I am one of the few people who really want to buy a manual transmission sedan but just don't understand how the manufacturers expect to sell them if dealers don't have them on the lot. The dealers don't even act like they want to order you one, more like if they can locate you one and trade for it. I need it on the lot so I can test drive it. It might be different if I am buying the same car make/model over and over again. There are just too many people that are going to a dealer and buying what is available vs what they want or would like to have. Special orders seem to be a thing of the past.
I really believe that the manufacturer should provide dealers with one of each model at no charge until they sell the vehicle. If dealers want 20 CVT Civic Sedans, 1 should be on consignment and the other 19 on the floor plan. But the dealer should always have at least one of each on loan to give the public a full observation of their available models and trim levels. That includes those with a manual transmission. It would be a win / win for everyone. Am I incorrect in thinking this way?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I know that I am one of the few people who really want to buy a manual transmission sedan but just don't understand how the manufacturers expect to sell them if dealers don't have them on the lot. The dealers don't even act like they want to order you one, more like if they can locate you one and trade for it. I need it on the lot so I can test drive it. It might be different if I am buying the same car make/model over and over again. There are just too many people that are going to a dealer and buying what is available vs what they want or would like to have. Special orders seem to be a thing of the past.
I really believe that the manufacturer should provide dealers with one of each model at no charge until they sell the vehicle. If dealers want 20 CVT Civic Sedans, 1 should be on consignment and the other 19 on the floor plan. But the dealer should always have at least one of each on loan to give the public a full observation of their available models and trim levels. That includes those with a manual transmission. It would be a win / win for everyone. Am I incorrect in thinking this way?
Morris, I hear what you are saying, I really do. I love manuals too and have owned a manual Civic, CRX, Integra, Elantra GT etcetera ...

But here's the thing, dealers don't care about manuals. It's a small niche market that is a tiny portion of their business. If you want a manual sedan these days, it will take some work to find one.

Here's a good story for you. In early 2017, my new car choices were down to a Civic Turbo or a manual Elantra Sport Turbo. I thought I was going with the more powerful, better looking (my opinion anyway lol) Elantra Turbo:

Honda Civic 10th gen 2021 Hyundai Elantra 2017-hyundai-elantra-sport_side_1492788936_700x467

The problem? After months of looking I couldn't find the car in the color and options I wanted (in a manual). So I gave up and bought a Civic EX-L (CVT).

Last edited:

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I don't think manual drivers are too niche for dealers, and it's more that automatics are simply the lowest common denominator. Everyone can drive an automatic, but <everyone knows how to drive a manual. Plus, even for those who can drive manual, automatics take less concentration and effort to operate. People who prefer manuals can settle for an auto, but the aforementioned makes the opposite is not really true. Therefore, it's easiest for dealers to cater to the lowest common denominator, which only perpetuates the cycle of fewer and fewer enthusiast, sporty, manual cars being available even if people are searching for them.

Ideally, I agree dealers should not simply have their parking lots full of greyscale SUVs, but unfortunately those are the easiest and most profitable vehicles to sell.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Very true - many cars sell poorly cause dealers don't stock them. I wanted to test drive an Elantra GT N-Line manual, but nearest one was 80 miles away. So I drove the DCT and wasn't wowed over, but a manual might have sold me on it. Same with the Mazda 3 hatch - too hard to find a manual so I didn't bother test driving it.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No doubt if dealers carried more manuals in inventory more people would buy manuals. But there's more to it. Manufacturers are phasing out manual transmissions, partially for fleet fuel economy numbers and partly because few people know how to (or want to) row their own gears.

So, it's mostly a core group of older manual enthusiasts and some younger folks fighting to save the manual. And then there's the other problem ... SUV's. They're taking over. And the sporty coupes are going the way of the dinosaur.

It's definitely not easy being a purist car enthusiast these days.

I remember when I bought my first couple of manual Honda products. A CRX and an Integra. The feeling back then was that an automatic would zap all the personality and power from those small engines. And there was a lot of truth to that. Manuals were everywhere on dealer lots. Those were the days!

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I do understand why most manufacturers are wanting to discontinue production but I don't understand them making manuals and not getting them out and available to the public. And for some reason it just seems, maybe just me, that dealers don't want to order anything special. Possibly they fear you will back out of the deal, I don't know.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I do understand why most manufacturers are wanting to discontinue production but I don't understand them making manuals and not getting them out and available to the public. And for some reason it just seems, maybe just me, that dealers don't want to order anything special. Possibly they fear you will back out of the deal, I don't know.
I think they just don't care, they're like "just give me something easy to sell." But it could also be the factory just doesn't make many.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think they just don't care, they're like "just give me something easy to sell." But it could also be the factory just doesn't make many.
I think it's basically both. I know us enthusiasts say if they only had more manuals available they'd sell more manuals. And there's truth in that. But think about the average person walking through a dealer showroom. What percentage do you think are enthusiasts or really into driving? 10%? 5%?

And of that small amount not every enthusiast is set on a manual these days. Dealers work on volume.

That SUV with an automatic is simply way more popular than a coupe or hatch or sedan with a manual. Sucks but it's truth.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
It's really simple why manuals are dying out, automatics have become faster and much more efficient than manual transmissions are. Pretty much the only reason to have a manual in a car now is because you like the feeling of driving a manual and want the option. This demographic of people is just too damn small for manufacturers to justify keeping the manuals as an option on normal vehicles. It sucks but it makes sense.

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I agree why most dealers don't want to keep them in stock does make sense. What I don't understand though, as long as manufacturers are making the manual, why they are not available to purchase for us that do care. That is why I believe the manufacturer should allow the dealers who sell their cars, to have them available to us, without the dealers having to pay to keep them on their lot. That is a win-win for everybody. When I buy the car, let the dealer pay the manufacturer, and then the manufacturer sends them another manual in it's place. I don't want it to be this way but maybe even one color choice if necessary. Again not my preference but give us something available to buy if you are still manufacturing them. Yes or No ??
Sponsored