Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Shame it's so ugly, if it was the i30N I'd be so tempted. I'd have held off buying the Si if I thought that was coming.

I think it's a Type R competitor though, $30k and up. The N Line will be closer to Si in price.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Shame it's so ugly, if it was the i30N I'd be so tempted. I'd have held off buying the Si if I thought that was coming.

I think it's a Type R competitor though, $30k and up. The N Line will be closer to Si in price.
What's funny is, I've yet to see many pro car reviewers say it's ugly. For example Car and Driver loves the edgy styling. I remember when the gen X Civic came out and there were lots of reviews I saw basically saying the car had some weird proportions and overdone styline touches. I suspect when we start seeing these N and N line models in the flesh even some Civic fanboys will be impressed with the overall car.

I get it, this is a Honda board and hey I love Honda too. But in between my four Honda/Acuras, I had 14 reliable and fun years driving an Elantra GT hatch and Kia Forte SX sedan.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What's funny is, I've yet to see many pro car reviewers say it's ugly. For example Car and Driver loves the edgy styling. I remember when the gen X Civic came out and there were lots of reviews I saw basically saying the car had some weird proportions and overdone styline touches. I suspect when we start seeing these N and N line models in the flesh even some Civic fanboys will be impressed with the overall car.

I get it, this is a Honda board and hey I love Honda too. But in between my four Honda/Acuras, I had 14 reliable and fun years driving an Elantra GT hatch and Kia Forte SX sedan.
yeah I just meant for me personally- I love the i30 so I wish it looked like that. I hate the new steering wheel too.

I picked the Si over Elantra GT N line but would likely have picked the i30N over the Si if they sold it here.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a bit of background on my general praise/defense of Hyundai if anyone is interested.

In 2002, I bought the euro designed 2002 Elantra GT hatchback. The thing looked like a Saab clone with it's fastback hatch style and had great features and warranty. It had best in class power too.

My previous 3 cars were a CRX, Integra and '94 Civic EX. The Hyundai wasn't quite up to the driving standards of the Hondas, the engine wasn't as refined and the manual transmission wasn't nearly as good. But, I loved the car so much (especially after tons of mechanical mods) that I started the ElantraClub forum community.

I traded that in for a 2010 Forte SX. It's 173 hp was best in class and the handling was great. Both cars were trouble free.

My overall point being that Hyundai has come a long way and they continue to get better. I remember a few years ago when VW's chairman was asked which Asian car company scared them the most and his answer wasn't Honda or Toyota, it was Hyundai.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just a bit of background on my general praise/defense of Hyundai if anyone is interested.

In 2002, I bought the euro designed 2002 Elantra GT hatchback. The thing looked like a Saab clone with it's fastback hatch style and had great features and warranty. It had best in class power too.

My previous 3 cars were a CRX, Integra and '94 Civic EX. The Hyundai wasn't quite up to the driving standards of the Hondas, the engine wasn't as refined and the manual transmission wasn't nearly as good. But, I loved the car so much (especially after tons of mechanical mods) that I started the ElantraClub forum community.

I traded that in for a 2010 Forte SX. It's 173 hp was best in class and the handling was great. Both cars were trouble free.

My overall point being that Hyundai has come a long way and they continue to get better. I remember a few years ago when VW's chairman was asked which Asian car company scared them the most and his answer wasn't Honda or Toyota, it was Hyundai.
Anyone not shopping 7 seaters may not have noticed, but somehow the Telluride/Palisade twins have leap frogged the competition, and now in every comparison they beat the Pilot, Ascent, Atlas, Highlander etc. We're actually considering a Telluride. My only remaining issue with the Koreans is the styling is often just too much or too disjointed.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag

Honestly the current kia forte gt looks pretty nice for what it is, and given the supposedly different demographic groups hyundais and kias are supposed to be aimed towards I'm surprised it's the more 'mature' looking of the two. I think the 10th gen Civic can certainly be considered 'overstyled' (at least when it debuted), but Hyundai seemed to look at that and think everyone loved how crazy the Civic was and tried to beat it at its own game.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

OP
OP
Annexed

Annexed

First Name
Austen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag

N-Line in person/ action. Doesn't look like a direct competitor against the SI. With the heated backseats and "nicer" interior, I think it would be going against the Civic premium line.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The N Line never was designed or will be promoted as an Si competitor. It is meant more as a competitor the non-Si turbos. The Hyundai has more power, more tech, more features, more warranty. Similar price.

Last edited:

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazda3 5sp manual, 2012 Genesis sedan
Country flag
The N Line never was designed or will be promoted as an Si competitor. It is meant more as a competitor the non-Si turbos. The Hyundai has more power, more tech, more features, more warranty. Similar price.
*** Why do you feel that way? Not disputing you but curious to why it would not be.
The hp and torque are almost identical if not identical.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Because it lacks the lsd and is missing some of the full blown N model's suspension components. I was a bit of a Hyundai insider as I knew some of the guys at Hyundai USA headquarters in California. The perks of running an online Hyundai forum for 20 years I guess.

Hyundai likes to market their cars as having "more for the money" than the competition. That's why the N line is slotted agsinst the non-Si turbo.

Now, when the N comes out, Hyundai will be able to easily market that against stuff like the Si.

ultrashin

First Name
NOH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
Anyone not shopping 7 seaters may not have noticed, but somehow the Telluride/Palisade twins have leap frogged the competition, and now in every comparison they beat the Pilot, Ascent, Atlas, Highlander etc. We're actually considering a Telluride. My only remaining issue with the Koreans is the styling is often just too much or too disjointed.
Telluride/Palisade actually destroyed the competition at their segment. Basically everything you want from a 7 seater, they pretty much have them all but with low price.

They are actually marked up by dealers just like Civic Type R and unlikely sold at MSRP. Average markup is about 5%.
Sponsored