kostas

First Name
Kostas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch 1.5 Sport Plus
Country flag
It's always on the other side. He hears himself speaking with a delay, he hears whatever he says 1 second after he says it. If he tryes to speak more than 3 words it starts to drive him nuts.
As expected.
About noise cancelation. When you (driver) speak with someone (caller) through the HFL, the car's mic grabs the driver's voice and the caller's voice (coming from the speakers) - let's call it "mixed sound".
Now, because the HU "knows" what fed the speakers with (caller's voice), it substracts it from the "mixed sound" and the remaining (driver's voice) is transmitted to the caller, free from noise.
The whole trick in this process is that the time it takes for the caller's voice to travel from HU to the mic is known. So the HU is set to substract the caller's voice from the "mixed sound" after this known time delay!
If the HU senses the presence of the OEM amp and stops this filtering when OEM amp is disconnected, then I doubt there is a solution.
But in case that the filtering in the HU doesn't stop, then I have a scenario of what may be happening. It is possible that your DSP/amp outputs the sound earlier or later (ie is faster or slower) than the OEM.
Based on this, if I had your problem I would try to measure the time difference of the output OEM vs aftermarket DSP/amp. Most probably the aftermarket is faster. In this case, you can add delay in the DSP as much as the difference compared to the OEM. If it's slower, you can't "add negative delay"!!
Unfortunately I have removed the oem HU, otherwise I could do this measurement (I have the Helix DSP mini). I am very curious whether this happens...
Sponsored

Last edited:

kostas

First Name
Kostas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Have they measured the voice delay time between oem and Helix? Is it the case the Helix is much slower than oem?
Boom!! I was writing the same issue! Amazing coincidence :headbang:

OP
OP

udihamudi65

First Name
Ehud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
OK this explanation seems very logical. We will see tomorrow.

OP
OP

udihamudi65

First Name
Ehud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
OK I'm very pleased to say the echo problem is totally solved with a mic replacement! Android Auto runs everything perfectly. there is no echo what so ever. It is probably the OEM mic that works properly only with the OEM amp+dsp. So no need for an external BT handsfree kit.
Original mic was taken off:
Honda Civic 10th gen 2021 Honda Civic Type R high end audio upgrade- Audiofrog, JL, Hertz, Helix WhatsApp Image 2021-10-01 at 18.44.28 (1)

Honda Civic 10th gen 2021 Honda Civic Type R high end audio upgrade- Audiofrog, JL, Hertz, Helix WhatsApp Image 2021-10-01 at 18.44.28

And a aftermarket mic was installed in the same location (he exposed the mic for better sound input):
Honda Civic 10th gen 2021 Honda Civic Type R high end audio upgrade- Audiofrog, JL, Hertz, Helix WhatsApp Image 2021-10-01 at 18.34.15

Honda Civic 10th gen 2021 Honda Civic Type R high end audio upgrade- Audiofrog, JL, Hertz, Helix a7324976ca6d006ee812a355ff917886

Turns out it's a OEM mic problem, and I have a good feeling using an aftermarket mic will solve the problem with the Axxess AXDSPX-NH3 as well.

To clarify things about my installation: I have two separate inputs running to the Helix DSP simultaneously. The first is the SPDIF. The second is all other connections from the HU to the OEM amp+DSP. He kept the OEM amp+dsp running, it is still connected to the HU via all the connection accept the SPDIF ( RS485, connector C etc.) and this analog output goes out from the OEM amp to the high power input in the Helix DSP. This audio is channeled to the front mid bass speakers. That way you get all the beeps, nav voice and notification as before. To do this you need a DSP with Coaxial and analog inputs, such as most Helix DSP's.

To answer questions about how he made the connection from the OEM SPDIF to Helix DSP: one side of a Honda antenna connector connects perfectly to the SPDIF output of the HU. He cut off the other side and soldered a coaxial connector to it, which connects to Helix coaxial input. It is a regular coaxial connector.

I have to give all the credit to my installers ingenuity and persistency. He went through pages and pages of the 500+ page manual of the audio system trying to figure everything out and wouldn't give up. I highly recommend him to anyone in Israel:
Yossi Alpine
http://www.ecaudio.co.il/

Hope I helped...

Last edited:

kostas

First Name
Kostas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This was unexpected and very interesting!
What did he change? Only the mic keeping the existing cable?

Kotu_Kinto

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, 2020 Insight
Country flag
how/where did he connect the mic? Does it run through the cable that fed the oem mic?

OP
OP

udihamudi65

First Name
Ehud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
how/where did he connect the mic? Does it run through the cable that fed the oem mic?
He connected it to the OEM location, yes it runs through the OEM cable that fed the OEM mic. Very simple install.

rwlaney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
I would love to see a pic of your audiofrog gb25s and how they are installed. I just put in a set of gb10 and they are amazing.

OP
OP

udihamudi65

First Name
Ehud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
I would love to see a pic of your audiofrog gb25s and how they are installed. I just put in a set of gb10 and they are amazing.
Look at the pics of the A pillar. The gb25 are there.
Sponsored