2021 ex hatch auto high beams don't work

Mm1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ex hatch
Country flag
My wife got a new 2021 ex hatch a few months back. My understanding is it should have auto high beams (and I sure hope I'm right that it's supposed to after troubleshooting it this much). Problem is, we've never gotten them to work.

First thing first, car is bone stock except we had the dealer install the homelink auto dinning mirror, and I mounted a Garmin dashcam on the right side of the windshield. I mention this because I'm not sure if there is some sort of ambient light sensor those could be messing with. The auto headlights do function normally though.

She keeps the lights on auto. Only ever on auto. Our first attempt at a fix was to hold the flash to pass on for 30 seconds while stopped, and the auto high beam indicator flashed once, so I was hopeful that solved it by turning it on. Nope, no difference. Tried flashing to reset the system (I believe I read flashing brights is a temporary on/off for the system?), tried pushing on, pulling off, and then flashing to pass and still no auto high beams. Nothing. I tried cycling the thing on off holding flash to pass for 40 seconds, seeing 2 flashes of the indicator, and then 30 and seeing 1 again. Still no dice. We also took it out in the country, dark as shit, no ambient lights for a mile to confuse the system and still nothing.

Any ideas? We live in a semi-rural area, so getting them functioning now that we're commuting before sunrise would be great.
Sponsored

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
Flash the high beams once and watch a light (icon) with an "A" pop up in center.. that sets the auto to "ON" mode

dstix747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Flash the high beams once and watch a light (icon) with an "A" pop up in center.. that sets the auto to "ON" mode
Flash them means pulling BACKWARD. The light icon is BLUE.

Disabling them is more tricky. You need to be rolling at a speed under 25 MPH when you flash them to turn auto beam off.

OP
OP

Mm1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ex hatch
Country flag
Do I need to be going 25+ to do this? We've tried and the icon with the A doesn't appear.

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatchback, 2004 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
I just went out to my car during lunch. To enable it start the car. Pull the stock back until the "A" blinks once. It wont stay on. Its now enabled. You dont have to be moving or anything. For them to come on though, you have to be going faster than 25mph, its needs to be dark and there cant be any head/tail lights. To disable it (which I did within about 2 days of owning the car) you pull the stock back until you get the "A" blinks twice. Thats it. If the high beams arent coming on then it doesnt match the required parameters.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AH/ATGG2121OM/enu/ATGG2121OM.PDF

Pages 181-183.

Denzelnyc3

First Name
Denzel Williams
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
I just went out to my car during lunch. To enable it start the car. Pull the stock back until the "A" blinks once. It wont stay on. Its now enabled. You dont have to be moving or anything. For them to come on though, you have to be going faster than 25mph, its needs to be dark and there cant be any head/tail lights. To disable it (which I did within about 2 days of owning the car) you pull the stock back until you get the "A" blinks twice. Thats it. If the high beams arent coming on then it doesnt match the required parameters.

Pages 181-183.
Where is the sensor for this?

Denzelnyc3

First Name
Denzel Williams
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Page 178 in that PDF. Looks like it depends on if you have automatic intermittent wipers or not.
My car has auto high beams but no auto wipers

Denzelnyc3

First Name
Denzel Williams
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Page 178 in that PDF. Looks like it depends on if you have automatic intermittent wipers or not.
It uses the sunlight sensor on models that dont have auto wipers

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I forgot to mention that once activated to turn them off/on once your over 25mph give the stalk a quick pull. Doesnt seem like you can do that if your under 25mph.

OP
OP

Mm1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ex hatch
Country flag

Pages 181-183.
That's what we did to enable them. Or so we thought. I assumed it would have been enabled or the salesperson might have mentioned it (they did android auto and showed us the auto light sensitivity setting), but when we first enabled them I was surprised to see they were off. That didn't do it. I confirmed it again one day when I had her car and they turned off and then I turned them on again. Still haven't gotten them to turn on.

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would try going through the motions one more time. Car parked, engine running, pull back stock until the "A" blinks once (30 seconds). Start to drive. (The next part I did while dark so Im not sure if it works when its light out), once your over 25mph flash the brights by pulling on the stock real quick. The "A" should then be lit up. You can flash the brights again and they will turn off. We have the same car so it shouldn't be any different. Honestly though unless your'e driving in some dark back roads, it seemed really pointless to me. They would come on at odd random times, sometimes blinding people, or coming on when there's traffic ahead.

OP
OP

Mm1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ex hatch
Country flag
I would try going through the motions one more time. Car parked, engine running, pull back stock until the "A" blinks once (30 seconds). Start to drive. (The next part I did while dark so Im not sure if it works when its light out), once your over 25mph flash the brights by pulling on the stock real quick. The "A" should then be lit up. You can flash the brights again and they will turn off. We have the same car so it shouldn't be any different. Honestly though unless your'e driving in some dark back roads, it seemed really pointless to me. They would come on at odd random times, sometimes blinding people, or coming on when there's traffic ahead.
I'll give it another shot. For reference, is that auto high beam light on the dash illuminated when they system is active and ready to turn them on (so over 25mph when it's dark) or only when it's actually turned the high beams on? The car is used about 50% of the time in country roads, so especially for winter the auto high beams will get a lot of use - but being able to flash and disable them when she gets to the city will be helpful, and vise versa for the drive home.

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When the A is lit that means that the high beams will automatically turn on. I think some of the terminology is getting everyone mixed up. Holding the stock for 30/40 seconds will enable/disable the system. This means its cant be turned on or off. Flashing the brights (with the system enabled) will turn them on or off. If the A is lit that means its ready to go, and the high beams will activate on their own when your over 25mph and its dark out. To turn them on/off you have to be going over 25mph though.

OP
OP

Mm1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ex hatch
Country flag
Okay, so we finally got out in her car together at dark to try it again. This was all done on a dark country road with no other cars and no streetlights. Headlights in the auto position as always. Round 1: vehicle on (engine running, in park) we held the stick pulled towards us for 40 seconds until the auto high beam light flashed twice. Went for our drive and it didn't illuminate. Flashed high beams at 50 mph or so, and it still didn't turn on. Got where we were going and parked. Round 2: vehicle on (engine running, in park) we held the stick pulled towards us for 30 seconds until the auto high beam light flashed once. Went for a our drive and it didn't illuminate. About 10 minutes later we were back to our country road so we flashed the high beams at 50 mph or so and it still didn't turn on.

I only tried it in off in case for whatever reason I couldn't tell on from off. We made sure nothing was reflecting light up to the camera area causing it to think there was something bright on the road with us. Auto headlights have always worked perfectly, so I'm not sure what in the world is causing the auto high beams to not work as well. I'm about at the point of going to the dealership to have them take a look at the system.
Sponsored