GGinMP

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
The stock audio system isn't terrible, but it isn't great and I do like my tunes. Motown, Stax and classic reggae are my go-tos, with some rock as well. I'm trying to decide on the best bang-for-the-buck upgrades, and I'm leaning towards:

Metra DSP - Recommended by the audio install shop for the CTR, but I've seen some concerns about echo when using a cell phone for calls.

Arc Audio X2 Series Amp - Have to decide on 4 channel vs.5 channel. I'm thinking that the 450.4 or 850.5 would be fine, but could consider the more powerful 600.4 or 1100.5.

Focal speakers - K2 may be more than I need, so I'm leaning towards the Flax Evo line. 2-way in the front doors & pillars & coaxial in the rear doors. Installer said that rear doors aren't even essential so money could be saved and/or diverted to more powerful amp or higher end front door speakers. Do 4 sets of door speakers create a better "all-around" sound? To be determined.

Center dash speaker? Keep it, upgrade or do without? Haven't decided.

Sub? I'm not into boomy bass, and going without would mean more money to spend on the amp or higher-end door speakers. Mistake? I don't think so, but I'd love to hear feedback from others.
Sponsored

Red2k

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 MDX Type S, 2021 LE-69, 2016 BMW 740i, X5Mc
Country flag
I'm currently running this setup in my 19 Accord 2.0t

Focal PS165 FXE in the front.
Focal RSE165 Auditor in the back.
JL Audio XD1000/5v2 5 channel amp.
JL Audio H0112RG-W3v3 Sub

The front speakers are the best I’ve heard in a while. The only problem I’ve noticed is that the MID is too high which results in some of the details being drowned out. I know the crossovers give you the option to adjust that.

Also make sure to get a sound processor. I’m looking into one myself. Heard it makes a big difference with the high end speakers.

As far the rear speakers go, they don’t really make that much of a difference. The only difference it the “surround” effect that some better speakers could fulfill.

Overall I would replace the fronts with the best ones and get a cheaper set for the back. Hope this helps.

Red2k

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks! Do you feel like the sub is essential or at least worth the extra expense?
Definitely. Makes the speakers in the front much clear. All depends on how you set your amp frequencies. No bass coming out of it. And as far as I know. The bass is not the greatest with these aftermarket speakers. Specially if you’re used to the stock sound system. The bass is much more thumping on those.

JDM Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (FK8)
Country flag
I'm currently running this setup in my 19 Accord 2.0t

Focal PS165 FXE in the front.
Focal RSE165 Auditor in the back.
JL Audio XD1000/5v2 5 channel amp.
JL Audio H0112RG-W3v3 Sub

The front speakers are the best I’ve heard in a while. The only problem I’ve noticed is that the MID is too high which results in some of the details being drowned out. I know the crossovers give you the option to adjust that.

Also make sure to get a sound processor. I’m looking into one myself. Heard it makes a big difference with the high end speakers.

As far the rear speakers go, they don’t really make that much of a difference. The only difference it the “surround” effect that some better speakers could fulfill.

Overall I would replace the fronts with the best ones and get a cheaper set for the back. Hope this helps.
A question if you don’t mind : How do you adapted the Focal speaker, to fit it at the height of an OEM speaker, considering that the factory front door speakers are a single piece with a cylinder base, wich helps to connect with the back side of the interior door panel ?
How did you do secure the Focal speakers on the door, it worked with the same single screw like the OEM speakers ?
These are the Focal PS 165FXE speakers :
Honda Civic 10th gen 2021 CTR audio upgrade 9C5F8230-8762-40EE-947A-C96855909718

And this an OEM speaker :
Honda Civic 10th gen 2021 CTR audio upgrade 68809777-F014-4CCE-9DDF-E35B314C70E6

Honda Civic 10th gen 2021 CTR audio upgrade C74FE29C-9E1E-4485-B60C-179799B552AC

Sorry for asking this. Do you have a photo of your Focal speakers already installed on the doors ? Thank you.

Last edited:

Red2k

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
A question if you don’t mind : How do you adapted the Focal speaker, to fit it at the height of an OEM speaker, considering that the factory front door speakers are a single piece with a cylinder base, wich helps to connect with the back side of the interior door panel ?
These are the Focal PS 165FXE speakers :
9C5F8230-8762-40EE-947A-C96855909718.jpeg

And this an OEM speaker :
68809777-F014-4CCE-9DDF-E35B314C70E6.jpeg

Sorry for asking this. Do you have a photo of your Focal speakers already installed on the doors ? Thank you.
They don’t fit flush due to the crossovers. There is a little spot in the door where I can see the bulge. Doesn’t affect the sound quality though. I will take a picture for you once I get home.

JDM Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (FK8)
Country flag
Thank you very much, mate. I am waiting for the photo.
I have often wondered how the upgraded speakers look like on the door of other guys car wich did this operation.

Last edited:

gaara46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 4runner
Country flag
if you do get a sub just get one with a box.

i replaced the stock sub with an aftermarket sub (still in the stock enclosure) and it sounds horrible.

the center channel is only for the navigation voice i believe, but i switched it out anyway.

i have a lc2i line output converter
polk audio 5 channel amp
skar audio components front and rear
8 inch skar audio sub

i will be replacing the 8 inch sub with a kicker 10 that comes in a slim box.

also not really happy with my components so i will be switching the fronts out to either focal, jl, or alpine type r.

Red2k

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you very much, mate. I am waiting for the photo.
I have often wondered how the upgraded speakers look like on the door of other guys car wich did this operation.
Sorry mate. Haven't got a chance to take the door panel off. Will get it done over the weekend and send you a photo.

OP
OP
GGinMP

GGinMP

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
I spent a lot of time at a Car Audio shop today and went through a lot of options for my CTR. I decided to go with a 2.1 system consisting of a DSP + 4 channel amp, bridging 2 channels to double power to the sub. 2-way Focal K2's up front and a Focal 8" sub in the back (I'm not looking to shake, just fill out the sound). A good part of my budget is going into sound deadening the doors, which I think will be a big help.

OP
OP
GGinMP

GGinMP

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
if you do get a sub just get one with a box.

i replaced the stock sub with an aftermarket sub (still in the stock enclosure) and it sounds horrible.

the center channel is only for the navigation voice i believe, but i switched it out anyway.

i have a lc2i line output converter
polk audio 5 channel amp
skar audio components front and rear
8 inch skar audio sub

i will be replacing the 8 inch sub with a kicker 10 that comes in a slim box.

also not really happy with my components so i will be switching the fronts out to either focal, jl, or alpine type r.
What sub did you use, and did you do any sound deadening in the stock enclosure? The shop I spoke to today felt that they could get very good sound out of an after-market 8" sub in the stock enclosure (although I'm looking for filling out the bass in soul/rock/reggae, and not thumping heavy bass).

gaara46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 4runner
Country flag
What sub did you use, and did you do any sound deadening in the stock enclosure? The shop I spoke to today felt that they could get very good sound out of an after-market 8" sub in the stock enclosure (although I'm looking for filling out the bass in soul/rock/reggae, and not thumping heavy bass).
the sub is whatever 8 inch that was on skar audios website, i forgot the model number.

yes my trunk and sub and doors all got sound deadening, but the sub is still weak. if u turn it up to any sort of “loudness” it will distort. i like rock pop and trance/edm, so i need bass that can be heard for some songs at a louder volume.

as it is now, the bass just BARELY compliments the music and thats just not enough for me. it might work for you, but yeah if im puttin in a whole system i need more than just “ok” otherwise i woulda left it stock.

IdNoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8
Country flag
So this is my setup for CTR 17 did it at a shop, not the cheapest setup but going strong for 2 years with no problem. It does add extra 135lb+ in weight ? and you do feel the slowness but to counter it add more power Hondata, PRL HVI, C&R Intercooler & C&R Radiator to make the car feel normal again.

Active Setup
Speakers 2 Sets
Front - Hertz Mille 1650.3
Rear - Hertz HKS 165
Amp Bridged 2 Channel
Kenwood eXcelon XR400-4
Kenwood eXcelon XR401-4
Subwoofer - Needed to install a small battery in sub area so took out the stock subwoofer and add the battery in there to run it without killing the car off.
JL 12w7 with OEM Spec Sealed Box
JL Slash V2 1000/1v2 Amp
DSP
JL TwK-88
JL FiX-86
Dynamat SuperLite Deadener
Front & Rear Door
Trunk area

As Red2k said rear speaker is not a big deal just get something cheaper if you want to have a full setup.

Center speaker just reuse what you have for the car audio voice. Make sure you pick the right subwoofer size you need as it will make a difference on how good you want your sound quality to be. In the end it’s all depend on how well they tune your system.

Didn’t have any pictures so ran outside to take some.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2021 CTR audio upgrade 8BB824D2-984A-427B-84E2-17DE10A1A9C4
Honda Civic 10th gen 2021 CTR audio upgrade 01594220-F98D-4546-93B0-BB4685B5CAF6
Honda Civic 10th gen 2021 CTR audio upgrade 0680504B-A0E0-4C45-9503-4EED6E97FEBE

EtRtcarguy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic
Country flag
So this is my setup for CTR 17 did it at a shop, not the cheapest setup but going strong for 2 years with no problem. It does add extra 135lb+ in weight ? and you do feel the slowness but to counter it add more power Hondata, PRL HVI, C&R Intercooler & C&R Radiator to make the car feel normal again.

Active Setup
Speakers 2 Sets
Front - Hertz Mille 1650.3
Rear - Hertz HKS 165
Amp Bridged 2 Channel
Kenwood eXcelon XR400-4
Kenwood eXcelon XR401-4
Subwoofer - Needed to install a small battery in sub area so took out the stock subwoofer and add the battery in there to run it without killing the car off.
JL 12w7 with OEM Spec Sealed Box
JL Slash V2 1000/1v2 Amp
DSP
JL TwK-88
JL FiX-86
Dynamat SuperLite Deadener
Front & Rear Door
Trunk area

As Red2k said rear speaker is not a big deal just get something cheaper if you want to have a full setup.

Center speaker just reuse what you have for the car audio voice. Make sure you pick the right subwoofer size you need as it will make a difference on how good you want your sound quality to be. In the end it’s all depend on how well they tune your system.

Didn’t have any pictures so ran outside to take some.

8BB824D2-984A-427B-84E2-17DE10A1A9C4.jpeg
01594220-F98D-4546-93B0-BB4685B5CAF6.jpeg
0680504B-A0E0-4C45-9503-4EED6E97FEBE.jpeg
Was that jl audio sub and box you already have from a previouse car or did u just buy sub and had bix recently built per spec and for the trunck size?

Last edited:

IdNoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8
Country flag
Was that jl audio sub and box you already have from a previouse car or did u just buy sub and had bix recently built per spec and for the trunck size?
JL sub came from my previous s2000 and yes I got it to work lol, the box spec was made from JL website oem size and size was not to bad for the CTR so I went with it.
Sponsored