2021 CTR 1K miles impressions & questions

Deleted member 47337

My opinion about what causes the gear grinds are a result of two things: improper clutch adjustment from factory and improper technique.

I have a video demonstrating the clutch pedal adjustment and it only takes a few minutes.

Adjusting the clutch properly will optimize the amount of pedal free play to fully disengage the clutch as quickly as possible. This will subsequently raise the clutch engagement height which IMO is a good thing. You don’t want the clutch grabbing near the floor. Ideally it should be grabbing near the halfway point. Adjusting the clutch will also eliminate some of the vagueness in the pedal.

Changing your transmission fluid and getting the modified CMC will definitely help. I recommend AC Delco Synchromesh Friction Modified or Motul Gear 300. The modified CMC has an enlarged feed hole which allows more fluid to travel through the clutch hydraulics at a faster rate. This allows the clutch to be fully disengaged quicker. By doing this, we give the 2nd gear synchro more time to do its job and are able to shift faster.

Technique is also important. I’ve seen too many people say that they’re manual experts and are just downright abusive when it comes to shifting. Before even applying any pressure to the gear selector, the clutch should be fully depressed and on the floor. From there you need to be deliberate when moving the gear selector between the gates. I’ve seen people be extremely lazy and just shift in diagonal lines which can result in lock outs. I recommend using a zig zag pattern.
Great video...

I don't have that problem, but yes...check these things y'all, because your Type-R should be a solid car and last a long time!

Remember these transmissions are of really good quality, and engine internals are forged...forged connecting rods, forged crankshaft, etc...I think the 2019 and up even have forged pistons. So, yeah...nobody should be having problems with their car. These are built to last.
Sponsored

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
I got some weird lock-outs on my gears, like 1st gear lockout was the worst. I swapped fluid to motul and it solved it completely.
What fluid from motul did you use exactly? Thanks!

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Motul high-performance syncromesh, don't quote me on that though, Would have to check the can when I get home.

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, 2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Fixed for ya.
Ok, no offense. I don’t even Drive hard to start with. I took care all the manuals i have driven, and never banged my gears in the R. I got my grind only because i revved 1st gear past 4000 rpm.... on a car that’s capable of 7000. Listen to yourselves? That’s called “drive hard”?!

The other day i switched car with a friend, and i drove his Veloster N Hard, fast through the gears no issue. And he came back said “sorry, i think i grinded your 2nd...” So, yea, even though i love the R, but sometimes i wonder, if “don drive hard” is simply the answer(for god’s sake I haven’t even started driving hard) from future honda manuals, i should think twice before getting another Honda’s manual.

Actually, on a second thought, never mind this entire post. I just realized, if Honda's manual quality has dropped to the point that I have another honda guy come tell me please "Don't drive it hard"....I'm like literally smiling here.... you just answered everything for me

Last edited:

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Ok, no offense. I don’t even Drive hard to start with. I took care all the manuals i have driven, and never banged my gears in the R. I got my grind only because i revved 1st gear past 4000 rpm.... on a car that’s capable of 7000. Listen to yourselves? That’s called “drive hard”?!

The other day i switched car with a friend, and i drove his Veloster N Hard, fast through the gears no issue. And he came back said “sorry, i think i grinded your 2nd...” So, yea, even though i love the R, but sometimes i wonder, if “don drive hard” is simply the answer(for god’s sake I haven’t even started driving hard) from future honda manuals, i should think twice before getting another Honda’s manual.

Actually, on a second thought, never mind this entire post. I just realized, if Honda's manual quality has dropped to the point that I have another honda guy come tell me please "Don't drive it hard"....I'm like literally smiling here.... you just answered everything for me
As I was reading this post I was wondering when you were gonna realize we are on the same page.

They built this car with the knowledge that the car was going to be tracked by consumers. Modified, pushed to its limits. And yet they still sold us a car with a CDV valve, a slow CMC, and other useless "driver assists" as if the demographic that was purchasing this car needed "smoother clutch engagement". FOH Honda.

I've noticed this air of superiority around this topic. Lots of owners who claim they are better drivers cause they never have a grind. I've been driving manuals exclusively for nearly 25 years. 30+ cars and HUNDREDS of thousands of miles. I've never had a grind that wasn't self inflicted. It happens. Of the millions of shifts, probably a couple hundred grinds.

Let me compare the Type R to another car in its segment. My gf owns a 2017 Golf R, heavily modded. 6 spd manual. I drive it often, we switch cars at AX events, the dragstrip, "snow days here in WI" etc. While the VW trans is nowhere near as crisp or engaging, I've never had that car grind on me. Not once. The Type R is different. It will consistently happen on the 1-2 above 6k rpm.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
As I was reading this post I was wondering when you were gonna realize we are on the same page.

They built this car with the knowledge that the car was going to be tracked by consumers. Modified, pushed to its limits. And yet they still sold us a car with a CDV valve, a slow CMC, and other useless "driver assists" as if the demographic that was purchasing this car needed "smoother clutch engagement". FOH Honda.

I've noticed this air of superiority around this topic. Lots of owners who claim they are better drivers cause they never have a grind. I've been driving manuals exclusively for nearly 25 years. 30+ cars and HUNDREDS of thousands of miles. I've never had a grind that wasn't self inflicted. It happens. Of the millions of shifts, probably a couple hundred grinds.

Let me compare the Type R to another car in its segment. My gf owns a 2017 Golf R, heavily modded. 6 spd manual. I drive it often, we switch cars at AX events, the dragstrip, "snow days here in WI" etc. While the VW trans is nowhere near as crisp or engaging, I've never had that car grind on me. Not once. The Type R is different. It will consistently happen on the 1-2 above 6k rpm.
Well it makes sense when this car is targeted at millennials who probably aren’t very experienced at driving manuals. Without the CDV I’m sure there would be more reports of burnt clutches or shredded gearboxes so I can see why Honda put that in place. Have you done the clutch adjustment or any other fixes?

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Well it makes sense when this car is targeted at millennials who probably aren’t very experienced at driving manuals. Without the CDV I’m sure there would be more reports of burnt clutches or shredded gearboxes so I can see why Honda put that in place. Have you done the clutch adjustment or any other fixes?
I've done the clutch pedal rod adjustment. Seems to have helped slightly. I have some Amsoil Synchromesh waiting to go in (I'm at 13k) whenever the weather wants to cooperate, which probably won't be for at least another month.

I'll probably modify my CMC and do a CDV delete this year at some point, I have a lot of other things to accomplish before the season starts in late April.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I've done the clutch pedal rod adjustment. Seems to have helped slightly. I have some Amsoil Synchromesh waiting to go in (I'm at 13k) whenever the weather wants to cooperate, which probably won't be for at least another month.

I'll probably modify my CMC and do a CDV delete this year at some point, I have a lot of other things to accomplish before the season starts in late April.
CDV delete won’t help with grinding as the CDV is designed only to delay clutch engagement and not disengagement. The upgraded cmc, clutch adjustment, and fluid change are worthwhile though

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
CDV delete won’t help with grinding as the CDV is designed only to delay clutch engagement and not disengagement. The upgraded cmc, clutch adjustment, and fluid change are worthwhile though
I know the purpose of the CDV, I just don't like the feeling, or maybe I don't like knowing its there. We managed just fine without them for who knows how long.

Deleted member 47337

Yeah, that explains your grinds. Shifting from 1st to 2nd, above 6,000 RPM. You're definitely going to have some issues...that's where most of the issues are happening for people grinding.

I know the car, especially a brand new Type R, shouldn't have any issues shifting at that RPM, or any RPM for that matter...but if you can stay away from high RPMS with the 1, 2, shift, I'm pretty sure your issues will be gone. You may not want to do that, however.

Everyone that I have met here in the South from all the car meets, the folks who are having grinding issues are doing the same thing..high RPM shifting from 1st to 2nd gear or rushing the shift. It's really a disappointment that the Synchros can't keep up, but it is what it is.

Also, some people here keep mentioning that they track the car and the 1st to 2nd shift is giving them an issue. That's not possible. You will never use 1st or 2nd gear in these cars on the track. Gears are way too short. Not sure what kind of weird tracks they're on, but I have never seen a Type R use any gear lower than 3rd on any circuit.

Like I mentioned, this car is not designed to hall-a$$ from 1st to 2nd...all your power, performance, and track driving will be done above 3rd gear anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 47337

I've shifted 1st - 2nd at redline multiple times and have no grinds....
That's awesome brother! You're good, then.

The few peeps having issues, are seeing the issue at high RPM in the 1, 2 shift.

OP
OP
Fester

Fester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R, 2019 G63, 2013 C4S, 2013 BRZ
Country flag
These are some great inputs. It makes a lot of sense to me that more experienced drivers experience the grind - I learned how to drive stick 30 years ago when I was 16, have modded BRZ with short shift kit that my older son drives, also with stick and never experienced this. I actually got this CTR for my younger 16yo son to learn stick (did the same for older), keep it as long as possible and he has been extensively driving it. You’d think that someone who’s learning how to drive stick could grind gears, but not even a single instance and as I try to drive harder, I have it very frequently. This validates some of the comments above :). Well, I guess need to take it easy between 1st and 2nd gears.

Oh yeah and infotainment is a POS! I don’t think there’s enough QA testing done..Didn’t expect it from a Japanese company....

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
That's awesome brother! You're good, then.

The few peeps having issues, are seeing the issue at high RPM in the 1, 2 shift.
I've never had high rpm issues.....only when I did something dumb.
You are in the minority then.
Don't worry I've had there 4th gear lockout during downshifts many times.
It balances out.
Sponsored