2021 CTR 1K miles impressions & questions

Fester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R, 2019 G63, 2013 C4S, 2013 BRZ
Country flag
Love the ‘21 SGP FK8 CTR. It has reignited my passion for a manual transmission, and I believe it’s one of the best 6 speed sticks out there. Couple of gripes tho: 1) occasional 2nd gear grinding 2) horrendous infotainment with intermittent CarPlay and occasional blank/black screens.

Is it normal? Wonder how many owners are experiencing these 2 issues?

PS: thought I share the pic after paint correction, custom ppf front + key parts and ceramic coating on the rest.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2021 CTR 1K miles impressions & questions 2176AF85-D7DE-4ACE-A411-485F297DB281
Sponsored

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The transmission is notchy, no way around that. If you heard an audible grinding sound then most peoples advice is to adjust the clutch pedal.

Dude

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 type R
Country flag
just passed 500 miles on mine and only grinded 2nd gear one time so far, thinking user error at this point.
0 infotainment problems so far and i use android auto very often, never carplay however.

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
On my 2020 grinding happened probably once every 50-60 shifts before 5000km. After 5000km (idk like 3000 miles ish) the grinding only occurs when I shift hard. Most noticeable I've seen it is when you just full throttle 1st and go for the shift at/near redline.

The infotainment is garbage. Idk if you've tried LogR yet but I swear if you go over a certain speed it resets, take a turn to hard it resets. I just updated my s10+ and I've had nothing but issues since then. I have had to restart the car to be able to use the radio again. I might bitch about it. I might not. So far dealer has been pretty useless for me so.

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I have a 2020 SI but figured I would chime in.

I do get the blank car play screen on mine occasionally, i just unplug or restart phone and it usually comes back.

I got some weird lock-outs on my gears, like 1st gear lockout was the worst. I swapped fluid to motul and it solved it completely.

Just some things that worked for me

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Enjoy and welcome - honestly I had the same grind that you did infrequently when really getting on it - after a few thousand miles that has completely gone away. I believe these transmissions are very 'tight' and need to be broken in a bit for smooth operation. Concentrate on full clutch engagement and firm smooth shifting for first couple thousand and I believe you will feel that smooth out. I haven't ground anything in almost a year now.

Best mod you can do - $30 perrin rear motor mount insert - eliminates the hopping of first gear when spinning tires.

Jjk226

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR CW
Country flag
I had one grind on my '21 at around 300 miles. Was making a left turn at low speed and shifted too fast without depressing the clutch all the way in. I think it's best to let the revs drop a bit when going from 1st to 2nd.

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
21 with 400 miles on it as of yesterday, only issue has been a 2nd gear grind a few times / notchy getting in some gears (seems to be the norm on these). this car has far exceeded my expectations and is possibly the best one ive owned imo

V TACH

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
Try feathering the throttle on your upshifts.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
2018 Civic Type R. Info blank screen sometimes, yes. 34,500 miles and zero transmission issues. User error: I've driven a friend's CTR who keeps complaining about the issue, and I don't get any grids. But at this point, his tranny gates feel lose compared to mine, it certainly wasn't like that when he bought it - I'm thinking terrible driver man. He asked me to let him drive mine to compare, I said no.

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
After replacing the factory transmission oil with Amsoil synchromesh at 14k miles, I've experience substantially less grind. Since the Amsoil has gone in, I've had a grind I think only one time, compared to half a dozen or so times prior the oil change.

In my 2015 Si, I never had a grind in 60k miles. And before that, in my 2008 Civic LX 5 speed, I never had a single grind in 110k miles.

There is no doubt something funny in the 10th gen CTR transmission that goes beyond "user error". I think it's a combination of engineering and the factory trans oil. My thoughts anyway.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I've had one grind, which I knew was coming. The gearstick wasn't fully engage and was sort of stuck halfway with the synchronizers.

m3cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
I think it's luck of the draw my 2017 car does it quite frequent but my 2020 never grinded.

JustAddBeer

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP CTR
Country flag
2020 with just shy of 3,000 miles on the odo and I've hadn't had any grinding issues. I did feel like the transmission needed some breaking in when I first drove it as the gear engagement was somewhat lack luster. It's fine now, I do plan to change the trans fluid when the weather warms up.

As far as the infotainment system... what a nightmare. Researching the CTR I thought people were just being too picky about the system but no, they weren't. I've had multiple crashes, sometimes car play won't start, even after turning off and on of all systems (head unit, car, phone). A couple of times it hasn't let me change the input at all. Then there are just the weird one offs where the screen goes black, or car play crashes out, etc. I HATE IT.

I love the car, it's a joy to drive, heck just to sit in. It just shocks me, coming from a '15 FoST, how bad the infotainment is and the FoST wasn't great!
Sponsored