new brakes
new radiator
faster dampers
visual changes on the exterior/interior
and honda sensing

2020 is basically a type r 2.0

hardly “minor”
I’d consider it laughably minor.

Changing rotors is not “new brakes”. Does a new fabric on the wheel constitute a “new interior”? The visual changes are minuscule (and ugly).

“2.0” my ass.
Sponsored

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I’d consider it laughably minor.

Changing rotors is not “new brakes”. Does a new fabric on the wheel constitute a “new interior”? The visual changes are minuscule (and ugly).

“2.0” my ass.
Well, not just new rotors. New pads and new controllers. There is far less pedal travel in the 2020 brakes.

ultrashin

First Name
NOH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
I wouldn't call the 2020/2021 a 2.0 CTR, maybe 1.5 at its best.

Even though there are several changes made to the 2020 version, the engine and power remains the same as previous years. They are all nice changes though.

gaara46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 4runner
Country flag
just so im clear i woulda bought a 2020 anyway even if honda left it unchanged but im glad they tweaked it. just wish it had blind spot monitor, but from what i understand its not available on any civic period.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
I actually like the Drilled and slotted look of the 17-19's you guys have something special too. Its also cost wise less expensive to replace your units. The suspension upgrade is minor and has no bearing on the handling and track times of the car.
17-19 aren't bad cars at all. Id even be willing to trade my alcantera Steering wheel for a 17-19 steering wheel.

I only wish you guys had the Honda sensing its nice.

But alas the upgrades to the 2020 aren't minor at all....unfortunately. I want all of us to enjoy the full range of features for this vehicle.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I actually like the Drilled and slotted look of the 17-19's you guys have something special too. Its also cost wise less expensive to replace your units. The suspension upgrade is minor and has no bearing on the handling and track times of the car.
17-19 aren't bad cars at all. Id even be willing to trade my alcantera Steering wheel for a 17-19 steering wheel.

I only wish you guys had the Honda sensing its nice.

But alas the upgrades to the 2020 aren't minor at all....unfortunately. I want all of us to enjoy the full range of features for this vehicle.
The drilled and slotted rotors in the 17-19 models are about 5lbs heavier than the 2020; 2020 brake rotors also cost a lot more than the 17-19. Honda also says that the new suspension system is able to read the road and adjust the dampers in real time 10x more than the older models can; this leads to better traction (no actual number provided). The comfort mode is softer and the +R mode is stiffer.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
The drilled and slotted rotors in the 17-19 models are about 5lbs heavier than the 2020; 2020 brake rotors also cost a lot more than the 17-19. Honda also says that the new suspension system is able to read the road and adjust the dampers in real time 10x more than the older models can; this leads to better traction (no actual number provided). The comfort mode is softer and the +R mode is stiffer.
That's interesting Many forum members here who drove both model say that there is no noticeable difference in suspension feel. Also there is a video of someone actually losing time on the track with the 2020 models compared to the 19 model.
Not disputing your facts ..just throwing what i have observed in there

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (CW)
Country flag
Understand. But, as you've shown, the annual price increases have been significant. But there have been only minor changes to the car (including the 2020 changes). Hence the 2017 was arguably the best value.

Anyway, enjoy your CTR.
Regardless of how you personally view the changes, you can't argue that 2020 was not the year they added by far the most for the least money. That is the only point anyone is trying to make here, I think. That makes it the best value year to buy with the information we have today.

Imagine if you had ticked separate option boxes for each improvement made for 2020, it would have probably added $5K+ to the car instead of $2k. In that sense it's a good deal, especially when in all other years price increases have been similar but for nothing (volume knob, voice control, etc.) Honda Sensing used to be almost a $2000 option on it's own here in Canada anyway.

Obviously, if you don't care about the improvements, it's of less value to you, but you're still getting them. The biggest improvement IMO is the suspension for normal driving, it's quite noticeable compared to the 2017 I drove and I would happily have paid for it as a separate option. It just feels more comfortable and compliant. I don't track the car.

Personally speaking, in my previous Civic, Honda sensing saved me from two rear-end collisions in very rare circumstances (one of them I sneezed and just as I did so, the car in front of me floored their brakes on an 80Km/h road). So I am a fan. You can also disable it if you don't like it, and it will still serve to improve resale when the time comes, so there is value there any way you look at it.

The bottom line is that if Honda is going to increase the price $2-3K per year anyway, wouldn't you rather get something for it than nothing? I would.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
From the yt reviews I've seen, it seems to be softer across the board. I remember one of the reviewers (redline reviews?) claiming that the new +R is closer to what the sport mode used to feel like.

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
I have owned a 2018 CTR and now own a 2020 CTR

There is a considerable difference in ride quality and bumps as well as the braking and stopping power. The extra honda sensing makes this car really enjoyable to drive.
I love the auto high beam lights, LKAS, Lane departure and adaptive cruise when driving long distances. also collision mitigation has saved my ass a few times , and still works good when left on while driving alittle more aggressive. Basically is not a hinderance. It litterly takes me 1 sec to turn off all the safety features. I will enjoy this car even more when I get my 19"s with a winter set put on.
Oh I am totally satisfied with Active sound control , it basically neutralizes the rattles and vibrations.
I run E30 , improved throttle , Hondata with Traction control mod , this is all I need. Vs having the 2018 CTR I find I am using the volume knob ALOT, and having the brake light on my center console is a nice touch. This was a huge upgrade for me.

My last car was sand blasted, windshield , lights, paint, bumper got rear ended. My lawsuit insurance claim will basically pay off my 2020 . Dealer gave me 32k back in July with 11k miles on the ODO

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
From the yt reviews I've seen, it seems to be softer across the board. I remember one of the reviewers (redline reviews?) claiming that the new +R is closer to what the sport mode used to feel like.
yes they dont know what they are talking about. I have owned both cars.

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
I wouldn't call the 2020/2021 a 2.0 CTR, maybe 1.5 at its best.

Even though there are several changes made to the 2020 version, the engine and power remains the same as previous years. They are all nice changes though.
The engine bay now has more cooler air coming in. Different brake booster , different bumper/splitter . I forgot to mention the bushings are better.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
yes they dont know what they are talking about. I have owned both cars.
Then that's great, as I find stiffer riding cars more engaging, yet can relax in comfort when I have whining passengers. Though I wish the updated FK8 was at least up to FK2 levels of stiffness.

ultrashin

First Name
NOH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
Then that's great, as I find stiffer riding cars more engaging, yet can relax in comfort when I have whining passengers. Though I wish the updated FK8 was at least up to FK2 levels of stiffness.
My passengers actually complained about the bumpy FK8 is compared to FK7 that I had prior. The stiffer ride doesn't bother me though swapping wheels/tires should help a lot.
Sponsored