2021 Civic Type R Limited Edition: Ultimate Track-Focused Type R Coming to America

mauiSI19

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Like someone said, Honda should have removed the back seats, charged more for the privilege while saving themselves money. They should have also thrown in a roll cage and should have massively ramped up the spring and damper rates to backbreaking levels. They will end up selling every single one of them anyway, so why not go all out?
I think Honda already sells a race ready type r like that.

It’s only $90,000.
Sponsored

SW20MR2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MR2
Country flag
Not intrinsically worth it compared to the standard car. However if it was my only car and just for me I would be interested in it for the reduced weight and rarity and knowing that that rarity would probably make it hold its premium pretty well. I don't understand why on car forums so many people want to judge how much other people are prepared to pay for something rather than just discussing driving experiences and technical aspects.
I am not judging just stating my opinion. You can reduce 28 lbs easily, put forged rims and wrap the car in phoenix yellow. Now the rarity factor - if you plan to have that as your only car, that is just not practical in the $$$ sense. But whatever works.

Ismael Lafluer

Project Harukonokaze R-00691
First Name
Ismael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2016 Honda Accord sport, 2007 Honda Pilot
Country flag
Not sure why your bitter about the fk8 not being an exclusive model or limited model? Appreciate you've not had the ep3 or fn2 or fk2 etc, but the FK8 was announced as a 'world car' and would be produced in mass numbers globally (despite the number plaque). Why would they stop now? Of course Honda are gonna listen and improve, and there will always be another, and then another....rest of world have been used to it since the ek9
Not upset about it being produced, more like the dealer lied about it. Had I known they were gonna continue to make them I would have gotten it a tad bit later. Overall I’m happy with the car nor do I want the limited edition. I believe in being an informed consumer to make a good decision on what I want to buy.
And yes I’m familiar with the other type R models and you must have missed the part where I specifically wrote make them for the entire run for however long you plan to make them then update with new model that follows. Like I said my beef may be more aimed at American Honda and not the entire company as a whole

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Not upset about it being produced, more like the dealer lied about it. Had I known they were gonna continue to make them I would have gotten it a tad bit later. Overall I’m happy with the car nor do I want the limited edition. I believe in being an informed consumer to make a good decision on what I want to buy.
And yes I’m familiar with the other type R models and you must have missed the part where I specifically wrote make them for the entire run for however long you plan to make them then update with new model that follows. Like I said my beef may be more aimed at American Honda and not the entire company as a whole
Wait, are you mad at the dealership that lied to you or Honda? Feel free to correct me (with source please), but I really don't ever remember Honda saying that the FK8 Type R would be a limited production vehicle. A lot of people here and on FB are really PO'd about this exact thing. Maybe it's the Mandela effect happening, but I don't remember Honda ever saying that the vehicle was going to be limited production (in any of their written material).

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
Not intrinsically worth it compared to the standard car. However if it was my only car and just for me I would be interested in it for the reduced weight and rarity and knowing that that rarity would probably make it hold its premium pretty well. I don't understand why on car forums so many people want to judge how much other people are prepared to pay for something rather than just discussing driving experiences and technical aspects.
Most of these cars will go for close to 100k. Who would pay now/years after such money on a car that is almost the same with the base model? Really BIG Honda fans for which 100k is nothing. People that have cash to throw, large car collection probably. This is a tiny segment compared to that of potential buyers of exotic/collectible cars: Ferrari...
Not worth hassle buying it as an investment. Even kept pristine and very low mileage, you could still make more money getting the regular model and investing the rest in financial market/real estate.
I'm curious here in Europe how long it will sit in the local Honda dealership... And we don't have ADMs here. If anything you can usually get a discount.

Last edited:

Type aah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R FK8, RS Megane R26, 911 GT3 RS 4.0
Country flag
I am not judging just stating my opinion. You can reduce 28 lbs easily, put forged rims and wrap the car in phoenix yellow. Now the rarity factor - if you plan to have that as your only car, that is just not practical in the $$$ sense. But whatever works.
Most of these cars will go for close to 100k. Who would pay now/years after such money on a car that is almost the same with the base model? Really BIG Honda fans for which 100k is nothing. People that have cash to throw, large car collection probably. This is a tiny segment compared to that of potential buyers of exotic/collectible cars: Ferrari...
Not worth hassle buying it as an investment. Even kept pristine and very low mileage, you could still make more money getting the regular model and investing the rest in financial market/real estate.
I'm curious here in Europe how long it will sit in the local Honda dealership... And we don't have ADMs here. If anything you can usually get a discount.
I made my comment in the context of SW20MR2's hypothetical +10k. Who know's how unethical dealers will be and how much people will pay. If you want to talk practical in the $$$ sense buy a base model Civic, not a Type R of any variety. It all gets down to supply and demand and if you don't think the premium is worth it write to Honda and ask them to build more, they're the only ones that can do something about it, not us.

The point I was trying to make is that everyone has different focuses and different amounts of spare cash and it is pointless and monotonous to judge or give opinions on whether the way they spend it is sensible or not.

Sup_Devil

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Pilot, S2000, 2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Well I have in writing from my long time local Honda GM that I will be the first customer offered to get one, when and if they are allocated one. They sold a bunch of Type Rs so not sure how that might play into things. We will see what happens.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
We/some of us are paying huge amounts for exclusivity for a car that probably won’t be exclusive. They will probably just continue make them when it’s 11th or 12th gen civic anyways. Then how will you really feel about your limited Edition Type R seeing as some people who have the 2019 talking about trading or selling to get their hands on 2021 track edition that will probably never see a track. Honda executives tricked people (playing on our human nature and psychology) with this BS the first time around. As one of our previous presidents from Texas once said “fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...well, you can fool me once, you cant fool me again”
LOL as a poster that's been here since the launch in 2017 I can say that you are way out to lunch. Honda has never said anything regarding exclusivity. Ever. This forum has been full or poor information from clueless dealer salesman/posters and speculation since day one. It started out with posters speculating that the 2017 run would be over by December and there would be no more. Then it was 2018 would be the last year, then 2019. We recently had threads here with a poster speculating that he heard that there may not be a 2020. Meanwhile Honda said nothing ever and simply kept building them and shipping them like they do all their vehicles. If you paid ADM and are salty look in the mirror as Honda never claimed that the Type R would be limited production or exclusive and the fact is that most of you that paid "huge amounts" for exclusivity simply lack patience and reasoning as this is a mass produced Honda Civic not a Ford GT. The fact of the matter is that the Civic Type R is as exclusive as a Subaru STI and going forward will likely be a regular offering.

Jt_theory

CTR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ABM Civic Type R
Country flag
After all, we do drive “Civics”. I’m thankful I even own one, took my ‘19 home $32k after down payment. I will never overpay for a “Civic”. :headbang:

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
So, not much of an improvement to call it a "track car". Need more than just lighter wheels and beautification to make it around the track consitently. Another overpriced model that is still FWD which will still require an IC, Oil Cooler, and Radiator to keep it running around a track. A base Si or even a 6MT 1.5T might be behind 10s per lap, but this car would get beaten as soon as it limps out. The value in this is only "perceived" as it isn't inherent at the least.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
So, not much of an improvement to call it a "track car". Need more than just lighter wheels and beautification to make it around the track consitently. Another overpriced model that is still FWD which will still require an IC, Oil Cooler, and Radiator to keep it running around a track. A base Si or even a 6MT 1.5T might be behind 10s per lap, but this car would get beaten as soon as it limps out. The value in this is only "perceived" as it isn't inherent at the least.
:rolleyes:

Admit it, you just came to this thread to sneak in a token, "my SI plus a few thousand dollars in bolt ons is way better than your Type R".

iforyou1109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda S2000, 2007 Acura RDX, 2017 Acura NSX
Country flag
To be fair, I think most stock cars will have some sort of issues on track days. Focus RS with AWD system overheating. Corvettes getting sued several times for different overheating issues and wheels cracking issues. Sti having brake issues. The list goes on. The ctr actually handles track days quite well in stock form. The engine can get a bit too hot but 30 seconds of cool down time during a session should cool things enough to go for another 10min. Most track day sessions are about 20min each.

m3cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
Well I have in writing from my long time local Honda GM that I will be the first customer offered to get one, when and if they are allocated one. They sold a bunch of Type Rs so not sure how that might play into things. We will see what happens.
Did they guarantee MSRP. I have a 2020 on the way but my dealer wants markup on this limited car and thinks its around 40k.
Sponsored