2021 Civic Type R Limited Edition: Ultimate Track-Focused Type R Coming to America

Type aah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R FK8, RS Megane R26, 911 GT3 RS 4.0
Country flag
It's a limited edition. Lots of car model limited editions command premiums in 2nd hand /used markets, they don't have to be "separate models".

The GT is £34k, so this is way less than a 25% markup.

It's bright yellow, so should just about be detectable on the road.

I think £6k premium for a special edition is good value, I think your aftermarket mods would cost that, if not more.

And aftermarket car mods never recoup their outlay when a car is resold, whereas factory fit do.

And all 20 have sold out already. My friend sat in one 2 weeks ago, and he wasn't aware honda were already taking orders.
I was comparing price to the current standard car @ £31.5k, which is more comparable in equipment level, so £40k is just over 25% up. No doubt there'll be an initial frenzy with flippers making a quick profit but I would just buy the car because I wanted it rather than counting on medium or long term investment. But as I said, I don't know the Honda market.
Sponsored

FLRib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8 2021
Country flag
I have just had an interesting call from my dealer. Only 100 coming to Europe of only 20 will be RHD. Definitely no A/C or head unit in European models.

Price is going to be £39995.00 and Honda UK have offered me one of the 20 units if I am interested. Good investment potential?

Stephen
With major automakers stopping production because of the impact of COVID-19, I don't think any credible dealer can give a delivery date. Nobody knows when COVID-19 will go away from our lives. We are at the begining of the show

Bonesy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I was comparing price to the current standard car @ £31.5k, which is more comparable in equipment level, so £40k is just over 25% up. No doubt there'll be an initial frenzy with flippers making a quick profit but I would just buy the car because I wanted it rather than counting on medium or long term investment. But as I said, I don't know the Honda market.
Yes, my guess is you're not the target market buyer Honda is after with this car.

Bonesy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
With major automakers stopping production because of the impact of COVID-19, I don't think any credible dealer can give a delivery date. Nobody knows when COVID-19 will go away from our lives. We are at the begining of the show
Agreed. I am starting to think I won't get a 2020 model this year.... And I live 5 miles from where they're made.

movovr

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I recently heard from my Subaru sales dude and he thinks the 2021 sti will have 400 HP from the turbo 2.4. News like that is giving me second thoughts about this limited type r.

I daily the r and live in Canada where the awd was nice to have in the wrx and sti I had prior to this. And sunroof. And heated seats. I know. I am getting old but when it’s like minus a million out here heated seats are nice.

the corona thing might put a delay in the limited r and hopefully we get more sti details by then.

m3cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
I recently heard from my Subaru sales dude and he thinks the 2021 sti will have 400 HP from the turbo 2.4. News like that is giving me second thoughts about this limited type r.
I personally feel the evo and type r is on another level compared to the Subaru. Unless they get the STI to drive like the brz I’d probably more interested in the s209 if that pricing ever becomes reasonable. If I lived in Canada my choices would be the Macan Turbo or GLC63 for decent comfort and ground clearance.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

I daily the r and live in Canada where the awd was nice to have in the wrx and sti I had prior to this. And sunroof. And heated seats. I know. I am getting old but when it’s like minus a million out here heated seats are nice.

the corona thing might put a delay in the limited r and hopefully we get more sti details by then.
Honestly, it probably needs something close to 400 HP to be competitive on the track. Maybe even more if Subaru wants to pull the "we aren't upgrading power for another decade" trick out of its hat again. Keep in mind that 400HP to an AWD system would only net like 320* to the wheels. Add that to a 3400-3500lb chassis, and you get a power to weight ratio of 10.63-10.94 lbs/whp. The CTR currently does 290-300-ish to the wheels in a 3100lb chassis for a 10.69-10.33lbs/whp. The small difference probably won't make much difference off a roll or on the track; so the STI with this configuration would be neck and neck in those regards but still be able to outdo us on a dig (like most current cars).

I'm personally hoping that Subaru makes the next STI hit around 350-400HP. Higher if it wants that motor to be competitive for more than a decade.

*going off a 20% drivetrain parasitic power loss for AWD. FR tends to see closer to 15% with FF MR, andRR losing 10%.

movovr

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Good feedback on the sti. Thanks for that.

If I may add, having owned the wrx and sti, I liked the sti quite a bit. It has character that perhaps could be attributed to its motor and unequal headers as well as other old school approaches like hydraulic steering. It was not perfect by any means, and because of those flaws it almost seemed to have personality and character. Not sure if the new one will be a neutered version of what the old one was, but I sure hope that they give it some character. I think that is also why I would be cross shopping the sti vs the limited r. Likely pretty close pricing (here in Canada anyways or I hope they are) and while I like the type r some days I wish it had some flaws as it seems pretty darn perfect. Not sure if that makes sense, but it’s like because it’s so good it’s almost a little boring some days. Like the suspension is best of any Honda or Subaru I ever owned. Seats are fantastic. Transmission is fabulous. Steering is perfect. Maybe I am taking things for granted having owned the r for a couple of years now.

Not sure how things will play out with everything going on but it will be nice to have options. Hopefully. Unless swindon is just shut down and no limited r.

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
Good feedback on the sti. Thanks for that.

If I may add, having owned the wrx and sti, I liked the sti quite a bit. It has character that perhaps could be attributed to its motor and unequal headers as well as other old school approaches like hydraulic steering. It was not perfect by any means, and because of those flaws it almost seemed to have personality and character. Not sure if the new one will be a neutered version of what the old one was, but I sure hope that they give it some character. I think that is also why I would be cross shopping the sti vs the limited r. Likely pretty close pricing (here in Canada anyways or I hope they are) and while I like the type r some days I wish it had some flaws as it seems pretty darn perfect. Not sure if that makes sense, but it’s like because it’s so good it’s almost a little boring some days. Like the suspension is best of any Honda or Subaru I ever owned. Seats are fantastic. Transmission is fabulous. Steering is perfect. Maybe I am taking things for granted having owned the r for a couple of years now.

Not sure how things will play out with everything going on but it will be nice to have options. Hopefully. Unless swindon is just shut down and no limited r.
I can honestly say that the Type R doesn't have the fun factor my Evo X had. The Type R feels numb sometimes leaving you wanting more character or personality. Part of me wishes I would've kept the X since it was almost paid off and bought the 2020 Type R, but it is what it is.

CTRHONDATA

Banned
Banned
First Name
CK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
I can honestly say that the Type R doesn't have the fun factor my Evo X had. The Type R feels numb sometimes leaving you wanting more character or personality. Part of me wishes I would've kept the X since it was almost paid off and bought the 2020 Type R, but it is what it is.
get hondata and run e30 will ya

Rottboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 BB CType R; ''17 Alfa Romeo 4C Coupe; 15 Honda Fit LX Manual; '14 MB G550;
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

SuperGTSR

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, Civic
Country flag
Some news regarding the 2021 CTR LE coming later this week.
(Mentioned at 5:17 mark)

Deleted member 31314

My dealer just messaged me asking if I wanted to reserve one lol. Only 100 coming to Canada

type_ramen

First Name
Keiothic
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
My dealer just messaged me asking if I wanted to reserve one lol. Only 100 coming to Canada
Did they give you ballpark price? availability? mark up (though I hear that's illegal in canada)? anything to go by?
Sponsored